D&D 5E Cursed Armor and sleeping

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
Plus I'd imagine wiping out the exhaustion is the drug the demon-lord uses to control the armor wearer.

ph0rk

That seems a little backwards to me. The wearer can't necessarily accomplish what the demon lord wants if they've got stacked exhaustion penalties.
No, but if the wearer starts ignoring their work or otherwise begins to displease the demon, they withhold the remedy. The exhaustion is both punishment and motivation.

If the wearer screws up and that exhaustion eventually leads to their death, well, some other fool will put the armor on and the demon still has a fresh soul to have fun with.

Fanaelialae

Legend
No, but if the wearer starts ignoring their work or otherwise begins to displease the demon, they withhold the remedy. The exhaustion is both punishment and motivation.

If the wearer screws up and that exhaustion eventually leads to their death, well, some other fool will put the armor on and the demon still has a fresh soul to have fun with.
What's to stop the wearer from saying, "Sure Demogorgon, I'll kill that paladin for you", getting the exhaustion removed, and then finding a remove curse instead. It makes Demogorgon look like a chump.

And if Demogorgon instead chooses to be the cartoon mustache twirling type of villain and forces the wearer to hunt down the paladin without removing the exhaustion, then the paladin wins, takes the armor, and destroys it or seals it away.

It doesn't seem like something a being as intelligent as a demon lord would do, IMO.

ph0rk

What's to stop the wearer from saying, "Sure Demogorgon, I'll kill that paladin for you", getting the exhaustion removed, and then finding a remove curse instead. It makes Demogorgon look like a chump.

And if Demogorgon instead chooses to be the cartoon mustache twirling type of villain and forces the wearer to hunt down the paladin without removing the exhaustion, then the paladin wins, takes the armor, and destroys it or seals it away.

It doesn't seem like something a being as intelligent as a demon lord would do, IMO.
Well, for one - a creature as powerful as demogorgon would probably have more powerful tools than demon-deal armor, and if not, some rather sever repercussions for reneging on the deal.

For another - there's nothing in the rules that prevents a type of malaise that isn't a curse. Dark Maledict Armor, for example, that simply has negative effect [x] until and unless [conditions] are met.

The power of plot compels you.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Well, for one - a creature as powerful as demogorgon would probably have more powerful tools than demon-deal armor, and if not, some rather sever repercussions for reneging on the deal.

For another - there's nothing in the rules that prevents a type of malaise that isn't a curse. Dark Maledict Armor, for example, that simply has negative effect [x] until and unless [conditions] are met.

The power of plot compels you.
You said demon lord so I picked the first one that came to mind. If you prefer a different one, that's no difference as far as I'm concerned.

Sure, you can have alternate consequences. The DM's only real limition is their imagination and what their group will tolerate. If those consequences make the exhaustion consequence effectively redundant, however, then I would ask why have it in the first place?

Obviously do what you want. You can use both if you really want to; I'm certainly not stopping you. But I stand by my initial observation: it doesn't seem like a good way for a competent demon to motivate the armor wearer to do what the demon wants. It primarily motivates the wearer to find a way to remove the armor.

ph0rk

it doesn't seem like a good way for a competent demon to motivate the armor wearer to do what the demon wants.
Of course it is.

Take this armor - it will help you, but know that if you do so, you owe me a service. Fail to work toward or complete that service with a quickness that pleases me, and experience exhaustion. Attempt to remove the armor, and my crack squad of pit lords come to visit you, your favorite village, and most especially your favorite tavern. After laying waste to you and yours, you'll spend 1001 years and a day in the nth circle of hell as a footstool.

The armor isn't a toy with easily defeatable DRM; it is an embodiment of the contract.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I love the delve into potential creation intention for the Demon Armor on if it would avoid the sleeping-in-armor penalty. But if you do, please use the history for this particular instance of it that I detailed in one of the comments:

This is a good thought, though in this particular case the history of the item has already been set and differs, it weaves into one of the PC's history. It was worn - as enchanted armor but not Demon Armor yet - by a famous princely traitor who was seduced by demonic forces and was instrumental in opening up permanent portals before being slain. He had been given demonic blandishments and gifts as he was being corrupted, and when he was slain his blood seeped into the armor and infused it, bringing it all the way to Demon Armor.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
But if you can't doff it, then it seems to force you to sleep in armor. Xanathar's (pg 77-78) details that if you sleep in medium or heavy armor you only get back 1/4 of your HD and you don't regain any exhaustion.
Do you even use that rule? Seems like you might, but it wasn't clear to me.

Remove ads