Custom magical items

Someone

Adventurer
For minor variants on existing items ther should be no need for a proposal thread. However, the guidelines on the SRD are guidelines, not rules: it's possible to build unbalanced items. Examples:

Cleric Bob's Discount Happystick: Casts Cure light wounds at will. Prized caster level 1 x spell level 1 x 1800 gp, plus a reduction of 30% because user must be a cleric (called Bob). Total: 1260 gp.

Wizard Fred's Trinket of Cheap safety: Casts Mage armor at will. Prized Caster level 1 x spell level 1 x 1800, plus 30% reduction because user must be a wizard (called Fred). Total: for 1260 gp you can mage armor everyone in the party, as long you remember to renovate the spell every hour. copare that with standard brazers of armor +4 (16000 go)

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
Items not in the SRD would need to be approved in a proposal. These two would not be approved. Note that the guideline to follow with the price reduction is that if someone is using that just to get a cheaper item for themselves it wont work. Its a dumb rule in there and very very few items would pass with that added in.

Also note that if a spell duplicates one of the other functions covered (AC in the case of mage armor) you follow the more restrictive/expensive option.

Someone

Adventurer
Well, yes, that was my point. They are unbalanced even without the prize discount, which is just the icing on the cake.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Someone said:
Well, yes, that was my point. They are unbalanced even without the prize discount, which is just the icing on the cake.
Indeed--It is generally the case that almost any spell priced for At-Will or Continuous functionality needs to have a substantial mark-up to be balanced. I am sure the judges will recognise this, and if they don't, well, there's always people like you and me who will point it out in the proposal threads ;)

Patlin

Explorer
I found the Goruksblain proposal to be a workable way to add a minor artifact to the game (as a DM) -- I think custom items should generally go through the proposal process. It isn't that onerous, after all, and gives everyone a chance to comment.

Remove ads