D&D General Custom Monsters and Enemies You’ve Made?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd forgotten about this guy, it was fun catching my players in some of the after effects. Think it also took out some of the alchemist's allies.
1622601576280.png

Quickleaf

Legend
Last session I used 2 flesh golems re-skinned as "monsters made in the likeness of Ammuit, Eater of the Dead", some custom NPCs, and I converted/adapted an iron mummy (CR 4) from Gary Gygax's Necropolis...

Iron Mummy
Medium construct, any alignment
Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 60 (8d8+24)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
19 (+4) 10 (+0) 16 (+3) 3 (-4) 10 (+0) 10 (+0)

Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks that aren’t adamantine
Damage Immunities poison, psychic
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, stunned
Senses blindsight 60 ft. (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 10
Languages understands the languages of its creator but can’t speak
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)

Alchemical Susceptibility. When struck by acid, alchemist’s fire, or similar alchemic reagants, the iron mummy is slowed for one minute. Its speed is halved, it takes a -2 penalty to AC and Dexterity saving throws, it can’t use reaction, and it can’t make more than one attack during its turn.

Eerie Resemblance. The iron mummy resembles a mummy. Each creature that can see the iron mummy can discern its true nature with a successful DC 15 Intelligence (Investigation) check.

Magic Resistance. The iron mummy has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Actions

Multiattack.
The iron mummy makes two attacks: one lotus asp and one slam attack.

Lotus Asp. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage, and the target must succeed a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful save.

Slam Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8+4) bludgeoning damage.

Stalker0

Legend
I have several custom ones I have posted in dave2008's monstrous compendium on these boards.

Probably my best reskin of all time.... I created this small creature with a large oval head, tiny body. It made no sound, had no eyes, but the oval would "open" revealing rows of razor sharp teeth. The creature would point its fingers at a target, slowly move their hand down....and 5 razor sharp slash marks would appear on the character.....automatically. No defense, it appeared under armor, etc.

Freaked my players out! They were like "what do you mean it just does damage!". One of the few creatures they ran for the hills from.

So what was it?..... a simple wizard casting a 3rd level magic missile each round. Its amazing how you can take something tried and true, just change it up slightly, and give players an entirely different experience.

Last edited:

Nitrosaur

Explorer
Too many to count. A lot of enhanced or stronger versions of vanilla monsters like beholders, mind flayers, dragons or fiends, variant giants, custom dinosaurs, variant liches like clerics, warlocks and bards instead of wizards, and a lot of monsters from other IPs, like the demons from Doom or the monsters from Monster Hunter. Honestly half the monsters I end up using are homebrew, I enjoy making monsters way too much.

Having played 5E up through level 20, I've discovered that monsters don't quite work the way I want. Damage and accuracy are often too low...hit points are too high for standard monsters, but not high enough for boss monsters. So for my next campaign I'm taking inspiration from 4E and 13th Age to create mobs, minions, elites, and solos...along with some math fixes to ensure monsters are have sufficient accuracy and damage numbers to threaten the players.

pwhimp

Explorer
I made one called a coin keeper, but haven't used them yet.
"Placed as guardians, coin keepers are found Intermingled among the coins of a treasure hoard. They look like normal coins, but disturbing the treasure causes their startup procedure. Within 30 minutes of being disturbed, the coin keepers sprout eight mechanical legs and a mechanical mouth. They then begin to attack whomever is closest unless a command word is spoken."

Remove ads