Custom Spells (Revised 7-18-2006)

Rystil Arden

First Post
IcyCool said:
I'd have no problem with that, but out of curiousity, would you make the same change to Control Body?
Yes, I would. I've actually not seen Control Body come up yet because it is a Kineticist-only power, and I've never had a combination of a Kineticist (or someone who wanted that power badly enough to spend a feat) and an undead. My guess is that the playtesters did not either. Then again, they also let through Energy Missiles and Energy Stun with +1 DC for each PP, which I have to hope was a typo :uhoh: So maybe they just wanted to rig Kineticists :lol:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Oh, the flavour reason for hte Charisma bonus could be that the undead's malevolent spirit, which suffuses the decayed lifeless body, struggles against outside control.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
Then again, they also let through Energy Missiles and Energy Stun with +1 DC for each PP, which I have to hope was a typo :uhoh: So maybe they just wanted to rig Kineticists :lol:
Energy missle/stun has been errata'd in Complete Psi to +1 DC per 2pp.

Ferrix

Explorer
stonegod said:
Energy missle/stun has been errata'd in Complete Psi to +1 DC per 2pp.

The errata for the XPH posted on the wizards site changes it to that as well. The Complete Psi is just a reprint of that errata.

IcyCool

First Post
So, how's this for a new change (change is denoted by bold italicized text)?

Crackbeak's Bone Puppet
Necromancy
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 4
Components: S,F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium(100ft. + 10ft./level)
Target: One corporeal creature
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Fort negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster takes the marionette controls and jerks them about. The caster gains control of the target's skeletal structure and may force the target to move according to his whim. The caster cannot force the subject to speak, because he is unable to manipulate the vocal cords, only the target's jaw. If the target is capable of taking purely mental actions, it may do so. The caster otherwise takes control of the target's actions. The caster may force the target to perform a single move action or standard action each round that he is in control, and may make use of the target's abilities, equipment, and feats as he controls the target, but he may not force the target to manifest powers, cast spells, or use any special ability that is not a function of just its body movements. The target may not make attacks of opportunity while his actions are being controlled by the caster. The target must make a new saving throw against the spells effects each round, if he succeeds, he may act normally on that round.

This spell has no effect on a creature that has no skeletal structure, like a purple worm.

Corporeal undead can be affected by this spell and may add their Charisma bonus, if any, to their saving throw against this spell.

Arcane Focus: Marionette controls made of ivory or bone costing a total of 50gp, which the caster uses to control the motions of the target.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I like it. I think I'm ready to vote all the spells in.

Edit: Though we may want to say that some feats can't be used by the spell's caster. An example of a feat that wouldn't be usable would be Arcane Strike (the one where you burn a spell to get attack and damage bonuses), which wouldn't be usable since you can't make them burn a spell to power it.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
Ferrix said:
The errata for the XPH posted on the wizards site changes it to that as well. The Complete Psi is just a reprint of that errata.

Er, no. The XPH errata doesn´t mention this or the other changes to Astral Construct or Hostile Emphathic Transfer

Rystil Arden

First Post
Someone said:
Er, no. The XPH errata doesn´t mention this or the other changes to Astral Construct or Hostile Emphathic Transfer
Yeah, it didn't mention those changes last I checked either. I expected it to be errataed immediately, but it wasn't, as Someone said :uhoh:

Remove ads