Custom Spells (Revised 7-18-2006)

IcyCool

First Post
Bront said:
No, 1000 gold, 100 craft points.

Any idea if the Job system is going to be ported over then? Several of the spells that I've got in mind are marginally useful (but plenty flavorful), and with those costs I can't see the character affording them until he's in the double digits level-wise. Being a mage-crafter will help defray those costs a bit.

Also, does that 1000gp cost cover scribing the spell into your spellbook?

IcyCool

First Post
Ferrix said:
From the DMG, it takes 1000 gp per week to research a spell, and 1 week per spell level. And it requires a Spellcraft check each week.

So thankfully, it's not 1000gp * spell level ^2, it's only 1000gp * spell level.

Ah, that's a bit better then. At any rate, this thread should be for discussing the spells I posted above, so I should stop sidetracking. ;)

Bront

The man with the probe
IcyCool said:
Crackbeak's Skeletal Reader
Illusion(Figment)
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 0
Components: V,F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close(25ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
Target: One non-magical text
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Upon completion of this spell, the skull rises up and hovers at a height of three feet above a surface at all times. It supports only its own weight, but it can be moved around simply by picking it up and releasing it. In a hollow voice, it begins reciting (in the language the text is written in) the contents of the text chosen when casting the spell. The skull can be commanded to start, stop, adjust volume (from a harsh whisper up to the sound of a single human shouting), or skip to specific points in the text (such as chapters or page numbers). When the spell duration expires, the skull goes silent and slowly floats to the surface beneath it.

Skeletal Reader can be made permanent with a permanency spell (with the same restrictions and cost as ghost sound).

Arcane Focus: The skull from a small or larger creature, prepared with oils costing 5gp.
Cute spell, but it's better than a 0 level spell as written. I'd make it a Level 1.

IcyCool said:
Crackbeak's Eyes of the Dead
Necromancy
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 2
Components: V,S,M
Range: Touch
Target: One dead creature
Duration: 1 minute/level

The caster's eyes roll into the back of his head and he views the last few moments of the target's life, right up to the moment of its death. Starting at the moment the target died, the caster views the last several minutes of the target's life in reverse order, up to the duration of the spell. The caster is only able to see events from the target's eyes, and no other sense than sight is available. After the spell is completed, the caster is nauseated for 1 round as he recovers from the disorientation.

Material Component: An eye from the target creature, which must be eaten by the caster.
There should be a duration/limit on how long the creature has been dead. And EWWW on the Material Req. I'd ponder if this isn't divination as well, but that's a minor issue.

IcyCool said:
Crackbeak's Skeletal Minions
Necromancy
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 3
Components: V,S,M
Range: Close(25ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
Effect: 1 Human Warrior Skeleton/2 levels (max 5)
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

The caster brings up to 1 human warrior skeleton (see Monster Manual entry) per 2 caster levels (maximum of 5 skeletons) into existence anywhere within the spell's range. These creatures follow the necromancer's commands (which he can give as a free action) to the best of their ability. These skeletons cannot be commanded or rebuked by anyone other than the caster, but they can be turned as normal. At the end of the spell's duration, the skeletons (and their gear) collapse into small piles of dust. The skeletons created with this spell count against the total HD of undead the caster may control at one time.

Material Component: One human finger bone for each skeleton to be created, which the caster throws on the floor as the spell is cast.
Doesn't seem too bad, I'd have to think on it. Perhaps adding the caster level to HD for turning resistance might work better.

IcyCool said:
Crackbeak's Bone Puppet
Necromancy
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 4
Components: S,F
Range: Medium(100ft. + 10ft./level)
Target: One corporeal creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster takes the marionette controls and jerks them about. If the saving throw is failed, the caster gains control of the target's skeletal structure. The target may take purely mental actions, but may not speak unless the caster allows him to. The caster otherwise takes complete control of the target's actions. The caster may make use of the target's abilities, equipment, and feats as he controls the target (but he may not cast any of the target's spells or use any of its spell-like or supernatural abilities). The target now acts on the caster's turn, and the caster may do nothing other than control the target or dismiss the spell. The target receives a new saving throw against the spells effects each round.

This spell has no effect on a creature that has no skeletal structure, like a purple worm.

Undead targetted by this spell suffer a -4 penalty to their saving throw.

Arcane Focus: Marionette controls made of ivory or bone costing a total of 50gp, which the caster uses to control the motions of the target.
Hrm... I'd note that the caster should not be able to speak through the target (Muscle control), and I would give an extra automatic save if the caster tries to do something that directly harms the target (chokes himself, stabs himself, etc).

Also, as stated, an ooze can be target by this spell, which isn't right. (You can control the skeletons in it, but not the ooze itself ;))

Bront

The man with the probe
IcyCool said:
Any idea if the Job system is going to be ported over then? Several of the spells that I've got in mind are marginally useful (but plenty flavorful), and with those costs I can't see the character affording them until he's in the double digits level-wise. Being a mage-crafter will help defray those costs a bit.

Also, does that 1000gp cost cover scribing the spell into your spellbook?
Not sure, since it doesn't mention it in the DMG, but I don't see why not (it's 50 gold over 1000).

And for adventuring, you'd be supprised how much gold you could take in. With different DMs, it realy does depend. As judges we'll try to suggest getting it towards the average wealth level, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Not sure on the job system, hasn't realy been brought up. Would only come into play once a character is approved, and I'm hoping, for starters at least, we don't have a lot of approved characters sitting around waiting for an adventure.

Rystil Arden

First Post
With one minor errata (the puppet one should not be able to use *all* feats, just the ones that involve the physical body), the 4th one should be okay. I would make it Will for Undead and Fort for living maybe, but all Will is also good.

Skeletal Minions should probably be a 1 full round like most summonings.

The one about seeing what the dead person saw is actually better than Speak With Dead in a lot of cases (you get to see the murderer if the murderer was visible, even if they don't know who it is). Plus you will be able to Speak With Dead and then use this as well. Probably a level 3 spell because of this.

The cantrip is probably a 1st-level spell for the reasons stated above. It isn't ultrapowerful though, particularly if restricted to recite only things the caster knows how to read.

IcyCool

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
With one minor errata (the puppet one should not be able to use *all* feats, just the ones that involve the physical body), the 4th one should be okay. I would make it Will for Undead and Fort for living maybe, but all Will is also good.

I'm looking through the psionic power mentioned above, I'll likely be revising this one soon.

Rystil Arden said:
Skeletal Minions should probably be a 1 full round like most summonings.

Ah, that's a copy and paste error. And I see that stonegod mentioned it too. I will fix it right away.

Rystil Arden said:
The one about seeing what the dead person saw is actually better than Speak With Dead in a lot of cases (you get to see the murderer if the murderer was visible, even if they don't know who it is). Plus you will be able to Speak With Dead and then use this as well. Probably a level 3 spell because of this.

Well, I suppose you could cast speak with dead, if you were a cleric.

Rystil Arden said:
The cantrip is probably a 1st-level spell for the reasons stated above. It isn't ultrapowerful though, particularly if restricted to recite only things the caster knows how to read.

Believe it or not, there are no reasons stated for why it should be a 1st level spell, would you care to share why you think it is?

IcyCool

First Post
Bront said:
Cute spell, but it's better than a 0 level spell as written. I'd make it a Level 1.

Could you maybe explain to me why you think it's a 1st level spell? I can pay someone to read a book to me, and that's all this spell does. How is it more powerful than ghost sound? I'm genuinely curious, what about this spell says to you, '1st level spell'? And what would you change to make a 0-level spell?

Bront said:
There should be a duration/limit on how long the creature has been dead. And EWWW on the Material Req. I'd ponder if this isn't divination as well, but that's a minor issue.

Agreed on the limit for how long the creature has been dead. And I originally thought it should be divination, but a quick look at speak with dead shows a similar ability that is Necromancy. I'll happily change it to divination if you like. And as far as the whole material req thing, I figured it was a bit thematically appropriate, what with the whole crow carrior eater schtick. :)

Bront said:
Doesn't seem too bad, I'd have to think on it. Perhaps adding the caster level to HD for turning resistance might work better.

As it stands, they have no turning resistance. They can be turned normally, they just can't be rebuked/controlled.

Bront said:
Hrm... I'd note that the caster should not be able to speak through the target (Muscle control), and I would give an extra automatic save if the caster tries to do something that directly harms the target (chokes himself, stabs himself, etc).

The caster can't speak through the target (nor is that mentioned in there). Agreed on the suicidal save as well.

Bront said:
Also, as stated, an ooze can be target by this spell, which isn't right. (You can control the skeletons in it, but not the ooze itself ;))

Except, of course, for the line that reads, "This spell has no effect on a creature that has no skeletal structure, like a purple worm." ;)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Could you maybe explain to me why you think it's a 1st level spell? I can pay someone to read a book to me, and that's all this spell does. How is it more powerful than ghost sound? I'm genuinely curious, what about this spell says to you, '1st level spell'? And what would you change to make a 0-level spell?

I think part of it is because it just seems to be using so much complicated magic--not because it is super-powerful. It would be like a cantrip that had the following flavour text (note, I know mine is a more extreme example by far!):

"Once cast Nihilist's Glee goes forward into the future to a time when the universe itself is destroyed and tears a hole in the fabric of reality, causing the target to experience a little piece of that annihilation. They take 1 point of negative energy damage if they fail a Will Save."

IcyCool

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I think part of it is because it just seems to be using so much complicated magic--not because it is super-powerful. It would be like a cantrip that had the following flavour text (note, I know mine is a more extreme example by far!):

"Once cast Nihilist's Glee goes forward into the future to a time when the universe itself is destroyed and tears a hole in the fabric of reality, causing the target to experience a little piece of that annihilation. They take 1 point of negative energy damage if they fail a Will Save."

So it's a problem with the flavor-text? :confused:

The goal was a spell that basically read a non-magical text to you. Sticking with a death and the dead theme, I thought it would be neat to have the voice come out of a skull. I figured I'd make the skull a real one, rather than illusory. I did make the skull a Focus, rather than a material component. Would it put folks at ease if it were a material component instead? Would it be better if the skull didn't float? Would you prefer it if I stated that the skull is a tiny/diminutive object and gave it an AC and HP (and destroying it would end the spell?)?

I'll happily work with you guys on getting something that feels better to you, but you haven't given me anything to work with yet.

I can keep guessing though, if you like. It's like charades, but I don't get to hear or see you. :D

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
IcyCool said:
So it's a problem with the flavor-text? :confused:

As I see it, it is the mixt of three spells: Mage Hand (The skull float), Ghost sound (The skull speak) and Comprehend Language (the skull cannot read anything by nature). Honestly, the effect itself is pretty close to a cantrip, I have maybe a problem with it: The duration is 1 hour per level. I don't know many cantrip that have such duration. Maybe if you reduce it to 10 min/level, like light, it would more fit in the power level of a Cantrip.

Remove ads