Custom Spells (Revised 7-18-2006)

IcyCool

First Post
Velmont said:
As I see it, it is the mixt of three spells: Mage Hand (The skull float),

So the floating in place, even though it has no actual game effect, is a problem? (I suspect this is the big hangup for folks)

Velmont said:
Ghost sound (The skull speak)

Well, ghost sound makes a whole lot more sound than this spell (up to four normal humans per level to a maximum of 20, as opposed to the one normal human that skeletal reader can produce).

Velmont said:
and Comprehend Language (the skull cannot read anything by nature).

Except, of course, that if you don't know the language the text is written in, this spell is pretty useless to you (instead of reading gibberish, you hear gibberish, skeletal reader doesn't translate).

Velmont said:
Honestly, the effect itself is pretty close to a cantrip, I have maybe a problem with it: The duration is 1 hour per level. I don't know many cantrip that have such duration. Maybe if you reduce it to 10 min/level, like light, it would more fit in the power level of a Cantrip.

I suppose, but then it becomes pretty pointless for what it was designed to do. Read a non-magical text (like a book) to you (unless its a really short book).

Here's a thought. Would folks like it better if the spell stated that the voice is automatically recognizable as illusory? (Ghost sound requires a save, but with skeletal reader you'd automatically know it was illusory sound).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Velmont said:
As I see it, it is the mixt of three spells: Mage Hand (The skull float), Ghost sound (The skull speak) and Comprehend Language (the skull cannot read anything by nature). Honestly, the effect itself is pretty close to a cantrip, I have maybe a problem with it: The duration is 1 hour per level. I don't know many cantrip that have such duration. Maybe if you reduce it to 10 min/level, like light, it would more fit in the power level of a Cantrip.
Velmont has it here--it combines the effects of several more powerful (or equivalently powerful but shorter duration) spells. Also note--this Cantrip can be combined with knowing how to speak the language to make Comprehend Language / Decipher Script unnecessary. That's why I think it should only be able to read something in a language the caster could read. Frex, Tongues grants the ability to understand any spoken language but not read it ;)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
That was pretty much my feeling. I used ventriloquism (1st) instead of ghost sound (0th) as it was closer to mark; the floating skull part I just put down as an effect of silent image (1st). Its effects are a combination of existing spells and so its power should be similar.

It is not as powerful as magic mouth (2nd) which also combines the same two effects.

IcyCool

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Velmont has it here--it combines the effects of several more powerful (or equivalently powerful but shorter duration) spells. Also note--this Cantrip can be combined with knowing how to speak the language to make Comprehend Language / Decipher Script unnecessary. That's why I think it should only be able to read something in a language the caster could read. Frex, Tongues grants the ability to understand any spoken language but not read it ;)

I'm fine with it only being able to read languages that the caster can read. I know it will be a disappointment to those illiterate barbarian/wizards, and to those wizards who don't have Comprehend Languages (but have a 3rd level slot to blow on tongues).

I'm not sure why a 3rd level spell makes this more than a cantrip, but I'm happy to adjust.

Rystil Arden

First Post
IcyCool said:
I'm fine with it only being able to read languages that the caster can read. I know it will be a disappointment to those illiterate barbarian/wizards, and to those wizards who don't have Comprehend Languages (but have a 3rd level slot to blow on tongues).

I'm not sure why a 3rd level spell makes this more than a cantrip, but I'm happy to adjust.
Barbarian/Wizards are automatically literate--and the point that they have already used the 3rd-level spell on Tongues (or any other combination that lets them understand the spoken language--perhaps they speak the language but the writing is smudged or faded) and can avoid Comprehend Languages altogether is fairly good reason to make it 1st-level.

IcyCool

First Post
stonegod said:
That was pretty much my feeling. I used ventriloquism (1st) instead of ghost sound (0th) as it was closer to mark;

How so?

stonegod said:
the floating skull part I just put down as an effect of silent image (1st). Its effects are a combination of existing spells and so its power should be similar.

And if the skull didn't float, but just sat there?

stonegod said:
It is not as powerful as magic mouth (2nd) which also combines the same two effects.

For reference (I know these spells aren't approved for LEB) we have Amanuensis (SC) which instantly copies a non-magical text (a permanent effect for a 0-level spell slot). We also have Scholar's Touch (1st-level spell in Races of Destiny) which allows you to instantly read a text simply by touching it (and you can read multiple texts with a single casting).

Btw, thanks for the input.

IcyCool

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Barbarian/Wizards are automatically literate--and the point that they have already used the 3rd-level spell on Tongues (or any other combination that lets them understand the spoken language--perhaps they speak the language but the writing is smudged or faded) and can avoid Comprehend Languages altogether is fairly good reason to make it 1st-level.

Like I said, I'm happy to restrict it to only being able to read languages the caster knows (and he'd have to know them, not just use Comprehend Languages to read it).

Currently, I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this a 0-level spell. I'm not sure how having an illusory voice read a book to you is overpowered for a 0-level spell, but please keep the suggestions coming.

Btw, were the suggested changes (obviously illusory, no floating skull, and only able to read languages the caster can read) enough to lower the power in your opinion?

IcyCool

First Post
You know, a second look at the Toungues spell looks like it wouldn't work with Skeletal Reader, as the skeletal reader is not "A creature with a language".

So no using a 3rd level spell and a 0-level spell to invalidate a 1st level spell. :) Comprehend Languages (and decipher script) can rejoice!

Rystil Arden

First Post
IcyCool said:
Like I said, I'm happy to restrict it to only being able to read languages the caster knows (and he'd have to know them, not just use Comprehend Languages to read it).

Currently, I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this a 0-level spell. I'm not sure how having an illusory voice read a book to you is overpowered for a 0-level spell, but please keep the suggestions coming.

Btw, were the suggested changes (obviously illusory, no floating skull, and only able to read languages the caster can read) enough to lower the power in your opinion?
Definitely. That one, the Bone Minion are definitely good to go now.

By the way--if you want to have the ability to use a spell, if the not the achievement of having it be especially for your character (and others may only learn it if you like them and decide to let them), you can always propose it as a general spell and not pay the CP.

IcyCool

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Definitely. That one, the Bone Minion are definitely good to go now.

By the way--if you want to have the ability to use a spell, if the not the achievement of having it be especially for your character (and others may only learn it if you like them and decide to let them), you can always propose it as a general spell and not pay the CP.

I'm fine with the costs, after the clarification that they weren't 1000gp x spell level^2. It's steep, but I can dig it. Some of the new spells I'm working on I might throw out as general ones though. We'll see I guess. As was pointed out, the gp will refresh a little better than in a standard campaign, so I think it will work out ok.

Also, see my note about the Tongues Spell. Does that change any of your quibbles?

Remove ads