Custom Spells (Revised 7-18-2006)

IcyCool

First Post
Bront said:
Reader is good as is. A little wonky, but it's flavorful at this point.

Good *phew*. I really didn't expect that spell to cause as big an issue as it did.

Bront said:
I like Eyes now. And note, having to eat the eye could be problematic in an investigation. "Excuse me ma'am, we think we can find the killer, but Gandolf over here needs to eat your husband's eye. Is that alright?" :uhoh: :confused: Don't forget that it also means that if the eyes aren't there, or are damaged, it won't work. And since it only sees what he saw, it won't help with everything (Blindfolded, blinded, asleep, etc).

Heh. Yep. If there are no eyes, you're out of luck, and it's entirely possible that all you see is the back of a blindfold for several seconds and then you get to be sick for a round.

Bront said:
I didn't mind Minions (heck, I suggested a boost for it), but let us know about the summon undead line eventualy. I'll be looking for the spell compendium at Gencon too. Or you can always bribe a judge and send him a copy :D *

Well, these spells are for a 3rd level character, which aren't currenlty allowed, so I've got some time to figure out how to work it out.

IcyCool

First Post
Ok, so I did some re-writing, and came up with this as a change to the version in the OP. Once we hammer out an acceptable version, I'll edit the OP to include it.

I changed the duration to be more clear, changed it from a fortitude save to a reflex save, and clarified/changed the wording of the spell. I'd still like to make the spell a Will save, but with the specification in the spell that it affects undead, it can easily stay a Fort save.

Crackbeak's Bone Puppet
Necromancy
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 4
Components: S,F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium(100ft. + 10ft./level)
Target: One corporeal creature
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Fort negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster takes the marionette controls and jerks them about. The caster gains control of the target's skeletal structure and may force the target to move according to his whim. The caster cannot force the subject to speak, because he is unable to manipulate the vocal cords, only the target's jaw. If the target is capable of taking purely mental actions, it may do so. The caster otherwise takes control of the target's actions. The caster may force the target to perform a single move action or standard action each round that he is in control, and may make use of the target's abilities, equipment, and feats as he controls the target, but he may not force the target to manifest powers, cast spells, or use any special ability that is not a function of just its body movements. The target may not make attacks of opportunity while his actions are being controlled by the caster. The target must make a new saving throw against the spells effects each round, if he succeeds, he may act normally on that round.

This spell has no effect on a creature that has no skeletal structure, like a purple worm.

Corporeal undead are affected by this spell and suffer a -4 penalty to their saving throw.

Arcane Focus: Marionette controls made of ivory or bone costing a total of 50gp, which the caster uses to control the motions of the target.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I'd like to see it a Will save too (or at least not Fort vs undead--they can't make Fort saves, especially with a -4). Definitely not Reflex, though, I would say.

Ferrix

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
I'd like to see it a Will save too (or at least not Fort vs undead--they can't make Fort saves, especially with a -4). Definitely not Reflex, though, I would say.

It is basically identical to Control Body and thus should be a Fortitude save, although perhaps removing the -4 penalty would make that fine.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Ferrix said:
It is basically identical to Control Body and thus should be a Fortitude save, although perhaps removing the -4 penalty would make that fine.
Control Body, however, is kinetically moving the body---using force or similar---whereas this is manipulating the skeletal structure (at least as per description). In addition, I believe this spell targets anything with a skeletal structure, wherease Control body only targets things with a humanoid shape. So this is some sense more powerful.

Definetely wouldn't make it a -4 save. Might give a bonus for non-humanoid shapes to balance it against Control Body.

Ferrix

Explorer
stonegod said:
Control Body, however, is kinetically moving the body---using force or similar---whereas this is manipulating the skeletal structure (at least as per description). In addition, I believe this spell targets anything with a skeletal structure, wherease Control body only targets things with a humanoid shape. So this is some sense more powerful.

Definetely wouldn't make it a -4 save. Might give a bonus for non-humanoid shapes to balance it against Control Body.

Well the exact forces at work in this spell aren't described but since it is moving the skeleton, I'd imagine something along similar lines. You aren't manipulating the mind at all, you are manipulating the body, so I'd say Fort save.

It is a 4th level spell and unlike Control Body requires a focus component. Also, unlike Control Body this spell can't take full round actions, only one move or standard action a round.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ferrix said:
Well the exact forces at work in this spell aren't described but since it is moving the skeleton, I'd imagine something along similar lines. You aren't manipulating the mind at all, you are manipulating the body, so I'd say Fort save.

It is a 4th level spell and unlike Control Body requires a focus component. Also, unlike Control Body this spell can't take full round actions, only one move or standard action a round.
I think it's a fair spell in general, but it is *not* fair against undead. Let them add their Charisma bonus to saves or something. Otherwise it is an instakill against even the most powerful of liches--it doesn't have any descriptors that you can be immune to, so this would easily kill a level 20 lich when you learn it at level 7 unless he happens to have the Silent Spell feat pre-applied to an escape.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
I think it's a fair spell in general, but it is *not* fair against undead. Let them add their Charisma bonus to saves or something. Otherwise it is an instakill against even the most powerful of liches--it doesn't have any descriptors that you can be immune to, so this would easily kill a level 20 lich when you learn it at level 7 unless he happens to have the Silent Spell feat pre-applied to an escape.
If you remove the focus and the (as currently written) -4 undead save, it is little different than Control Body as mentioned. Though, but a strick reading of the undead type, it should automake the save anyway (it doesn't affect objects and is harmless). But of confusion either way.

Ferrix

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:

Oh well, it just happens to be effective against them. However, they get a save every round, and you can't coup-de-grace undead so no real instakill there.

A level 20 lich would probably make the save the first time around anyways against a 7th level caster and then crush the life out of the poor 7th level caster with a single word or gesture.

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
If you remove the focus and the (as currently written) -4 undead save, it is little different than Control Body as mentioned. Though, but a strick reading of the undead type, it should automake the save anyway (it doesn't affect objects and is harmless). But of confusion either way.
Wow--I didn't notice that Control Body did that :confused:

Remove ads