Custom Spells (Revised 7-18-2006)

Bront

The man with the probe
I thought that the script spells appeared to be non-magical, because anyone could read them? Magic text usually means things that will activate magic if read.

IcyCool

First Post
Ok, so I revised skeletal reader and eyes of the dead in the first post. Is skeletal reader toned down enough for folks now?

Bront said:
Unseen Servant is of similar power and duration, and it's a 1st level spell. Also, it allows you to avoid some of the nasty script traps (Sepia Snake Sigil, Explosive runes).

I guess I don't see the Unseen Servant comparison at all, but I understand the script trap concern. See my revision to Skeletal Reader in the original post.

Bront said:
I didn't look up speak with dead, it was just a thought at first look. It's probably fine as a Necromatic spell.

A concern was brought up that this might be more powerful than Speak With Dead. Is that a widely shared opinion, and if so, how might I alter it to remain at 2nd level?

Bront said:
That's more what I ment, but yes, having some turning resistance would make some sense. Duration has been mentioned already.

Would it be possible for me to just propose the Summon Undead spells as they are in the Spell Compendium (Originally from the Faerun setting)?

Bront said:
It's not mentioned he can't, and speaking is an ability.

Good point, I'm thinking that an entire re-write is in order for this spell, so I'll get that done and update the first post with it. In the meantime, what are your opinions on the current incarnations of Skeletal Reader and Eyes of the Dead?

I've actually not designed spells before, so if it seems like I'm being pushy, I'm not trying to be, I'm just trying to understand what I'm doing wrong.

Rystil Arden

First Post
A concern was brought up that this might be more powerful than Speak With Dead. Is that a widely shared opinion, and if so, how might I alter it to remain at 2nd level?

Well, Speak With Dead is likely to make a low-level murder mystery more interesting but probably won't break it unless the victim recognised the murder attempt and the murderer, which is hardly to be guaranteed, plus it gives only a few snippy answers. On the other hand, this spell gives you several minutes of rich visual information, which means rather than the victim realising she was being poisoned or whatever a priori, the detective, who has the hindsight of knowing that a murder is definitely occurring and possibly the snooping skills to notice better clues, can take a look and find out more than the dead person actually knew. Now, that isn't always better than Speak With Dead, but it often is, since Speak With Dead is mediated by NPC interaction and this spell lets the PC see the description (plus it challenges the GM to type out an incredibly detailed description of every single thing that happened in those few minutes lest they make the clue obvious). The biggest thing is that when combined, these two spells are much more powerful than apart. Was the murderer one of the victim's associates and she knows? Speak With Dead will find out. Was the murderer actually someone the PCs know? The new spell will find out.

Would it be possible for me to just propose the Summon Undead spells as they are in the Spell Compendium (Originally from the Faerun setting)?

Yes, but you'd have to someone get us the info we needed to judge it without violating copyright.

I've actually not designed spells before, so if it seems like I'm being pushy, I'm not trying to be, I'm just trying to understand what I'm doing wrong.

No worries :)

Ferrix

Explorer
For the Eyes of the Dead spell, perhaps shortening its duration to see 1 round per level rather than 1 minute per level. Therefore you get the last few moments of its death, also perhaps include a Search/Spot check penalty to notice minute details since things are running in reverse.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ferrix said:
For the Eyes of the Dead spell, perhaps shortening its duration to see 1 round per level rather than 1 minute per level. Therefore you get the last few moments of its death, also perhaps include a Search/Spot check penalty to notice minute details since things are running in reverse.
That would be better--minutes means you get to see an awful lot :)

IcyCool

First Post
Good call. I will make it so.

Quick question, do the judges generally prefer revisions to the proposal to be in the original post (so there is no confusion as to what the current state is), or to have the revisions scattered through the thread (so you can see the historical versions).

Rystil Arden

First Post
IcyCool said:
Good call. I will make it so.

Quick question, do the judges generally prefer revisions to the proposal to be in the original post (so there is no confusion as to what the current state is), or to have the revisions scattered through the thread (so you can see the historical versions).
Both are nice to have, but make sure the one in the first post is the final one to make it easy on the Judges.

IcyCool

First Post
A quick recap thus far:

Skeletal Reader appears to be good to go in its current form (according to those who have contributed to this thread).

Eyes of the Dead may or may not need further revision.

Skeletal Minions is probably going to be scrapped in favor of proposing the Summon Undead line of spells.

Bone Puppet is currently being re-written and the revision will appear in the OP in the next few days.

Bront

The man with the probe
IcyCool said:
A quick recap thus far:

Skeletal Reader appears to be good to go in its current form (according to those who have contributed to this thread).

Eyes of the Dead may or may not need further revision.

Skeletal Minions is probably going to be scrapped in favor of proposing the Summon Undead line of spells.

Bone Puppet is currently being re-written and the revision will appear in the OP in the next few days.
Reader is good as is. A little wonky, but it's flavorful at this point.

I like Eyes now. And note, having to eat the eye could be problematic in an investigation. "Excuse me ma'am, we think we can find the killer, but Gandolf over here needs to eat your husband's eye. Is that alright?" :uhoh: :confused: Don't forget that it also means that if the eyes aren't there, or are damaged, it won't work. And since it only sees what he saw, it won't help with everything (Blindfolded, blinded, asleep, etc).

I didn't mind Minions (heck, I suggested a boost for it), but let us know about the summon undead line eventualy. I'll be looking for the spell compendium at Gencon too. Or you can always bribe a judge and send him a copy :D *

Yeah, Bonepuppet is cool but... a revision would be good.

*Note: Bribing is for entertainment purposes only and does not imply any returned favor of any kind. Not valid where illegal. For more warnings, check our website.

Remove ads