D&D 5E Customizing Home Base

Are there any tools/supplements that you have used when your players decide to create a personalized home base? I know that I can just have them say what each room is for, but I would like something codified and prefer not to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Are there any tools/supplements that you have used when your players decide to create a personalized home base? I know that I can just have them say what each room is for, but I would like something codified and prefer not to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.
The Dungeon Master's Guide offers rules for building a stronghold as a downtime activity (p128), and rules for the recurring costs of maintenance (p127). You can use the tables for stocking a dungeon to help with details, particularly the Strongholds table (p294).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Are you looking for codified costs to build? To maintain? Build times? Suggested designs?

The 1e DMG has some thoughts on costs to build and maintain a stronghold; though you might have to adjust these downwards if you're in a 5e economy. As for build times - I think you're on your own there: wing it. :)

Design I'd leave completely up to the players/PCs. It's their place, after all; let them decide what each room is for. :)

The only design I've ever done as DM is for the keep generated by the Deck of Many Things.

R_J_K75

Legend
D&D 3.5 had The Stronghold Builders Guidebook. IIRC correct it was pretty comprehensive and we used it for few PC bases. If I were to use any book it would probably be this one.

In my experience the conclusion I've come to is that sometimes players running and managing a keep, inn or tavern etc., can be more trouble than its worth. It starts to take up a lot of in game time and a lot of the DMs prep time, but every group is different.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Another recommendation for MCDM's Strongholds & Followers, but I think Kingdoms & Warfare might be even better for thinking about developing a PC domain (and you can skip the warfare rules if they are not your style - I probably will).

The Dungeon Master's Guide offers rules for building a stronghold as a downtime activity (p128), and rules for the recurring costs of maintenance (p127). You can use the tables for stocking a dungeon to help with details, particularly the Strongholds table (p294).
I hadn't thought of the the Dungeons section as being helpful for this. Thanks.

I have read the downtime activity sections in both the DMG and Xanathar's, and want something more specific than that.

Are you looking for codified costs to build? To maintain? Build times? Suggested designs?

The 1e DMG has some thoughts on costs to build and maintain a stronghold; though you might have to adjust these downwards if you're in a 5e economy. As for build times - I think you're on your own there: wing it. :)

Design I'd leave completely up to the players/PCs. It's their place, after all; let them decide what each room is for. :)

The only design I've ever done as DM is for the keep generated by the Deck of Many Things.
Yes, yes, yes, and yes! I'm looking at more of a manor house, though, than a stronghold. Would the 1e DMG still be useful?

And I was planning on leaving the design up to the players, but wanted some templates to give them ideas.

D&D 3.5 had The Stronghold Builders Guidebook. IIRC correct it was pretty comprehensive and we used it for few PC bases. If I were to use any book it would probably be this one.

In my experience the conclusion I've come to is that sometimes players running and managing a keep, inn or tavern etc., can be more trouble than its worth. It starts to take up a lot of in game time and a lot of the DMs prep time, but every group is different.
Thanks. I am giving them the option of gaining a rundown inn (from Dragon Heist) but am assuming that they will turn it into a shared home instead of trying to run the business. That won't have nearly as much upkeep, but would give them storage space along with room for workshops of their own.

Another recommendation for MCDM's Strongholds & Followers, but I think Kingdoms & Warfare might be even better for thinking about developing a PC domain (and you can skip the warfare rules if they are not your style - I probably will).
Is the domain a kingdom, or just a general name for a home base?

Remove ads