Cyberpunk 3.0 released

Arnwyn

First Post
Well, holy crap. V3 isn't vaporware, and is actually out (well, in [mostly] pdf form) with the print product coming back from the printers already.

I'm shocked.

As a Fuzion and Cyberpunk fan, I can't wait to get this. It's extremely unlikely I'll use all the rules and 'new features' (no loss of humanity? BAH!), but it looks like there'll be lots of stuff to incorporate into my futuristic game (and much easier to do so, since it's finally all Fuzion-based!).

Last edited:

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Arnwyn said:
Well, holy crap. V3 isn't vaporware, and is actually out (well, in [mostly] pdf for with the print product coming back from the printers already.

I'm shocked.

As a Fuzion and Cyberpunk fan, I can't wait to get this. It's extremely unlikely I'll use all the rules and 'new features' (no loss of humanity? BAH!), but it looks like there'll be lots of stuff to incorporate into my futuristic game (and much easier to do so, since it's finally all Fuzion-based!).

I'm as shocked as you are. :] Now, we only have to wait on Delta Green...

As for humanity loss, it's true that it and cyberpsychosis are both gone. However, I've seen reference to there being some sort of drawbacks in the game, flaws or whatever Fuzion uses. I don't know how closely connected they are to cyber, but I got the impression that there was room for replicating cyberpsychosis, or the "wire reflexes make you twitchy" flaw, or whatever. It might even work something like D20 Future, where your drawbacks determine what you have access to.

I like Fuzion but I've never really had a chance to get into it. I had all of the Atomik releases from back when they were free PDFs, those were good. I haven't really seen any Fuzion- based games I'd want, except perhapds Lightspeed. But, again, there's just not that much chance of getting to play it.

My last 2020 game used a fair amount of Fuzion stuff since I knew they were headed in that direction. I ditched roles for custom chargen, for example, and it looks like they've done that in the new system as well. I never liked the idea of roles- especially not the special abilities like the Rocker's, where pretty much the only thing they can do is cause a riot every session, and then sit back and look pretty. I would think that'd get old pretty quick.

Patryn of Elvenshae said:
I always thought the nonavailability of guns seemed a little off, though, in the source material mentioned above.

I mean, you can find a "street surgeon" to implant amazingly complicated technological wonders inside your nerves, but you can't produce pipe rifles?

Yah, I agree. While armor-piercing rounds should be a pain to come up with, good old slug throwers are pretty easy. A plumber can virtually build a bolt-action rifle with off the shelf parts and any halfway decent hobbyist machine shop can churn out revolvers using scrap engine blocks as base material. It may be difficult to acquire high-powered propellants but it is fairly easy to make blackpowder equivalents.

And renting guns? C'mon. That means you get held responsible for all the various crimes that gun was used in if you're caught, which forces you to raise your prices to the point it's more cost effective for someone to get Bubba Bo Bob Brain to make them a couple of one-shots.

I am very interested in a solid review... and will be looking for this at my FLGS in a couple of weeks :)

Or course, some of the comments made so far may make me pick up a replacement copy of the Chrome Beret's instead :)

I agree the literary sparceness of firearms is a bit odd, and I always prefered to CP2020 approach to available weaponry. The games I ran you could have whatever light caliber stuff you wanted.. the heavy guns came out only with corperate {or other} sponsorship. And there were parts of town where any firearm would get confiscated..leading to the occasional session sans firearms of any kind.

I have yet to get into Fuzion.. it seemed a bit odd to change systems mid campain.. but now I don't have a campaign :( Twin Cities, MN anyone???? ;)

Digital Archon

First Post
I read the preview pdf a few months back. Between the "too cool for owrds!!11oneeleven" writing style and the lame convept for cybernetics, i deleted the pdf and stopped caring.

Wil

First Post
Byrons_Ghost said:
I saw where it was intentionally, I was just stating that a lot of people were complaining about it. "Unincluded" probably would have have been a better term than "missing."

It seems like the intention is for this PDF to be a limited-time, rough draft sale for those interested in a preview. That might be a good way to get some buzz going, except that a lot of people seem to think that the PDF is a little too rough.

At any rate, I'm generally not much of a PDF person anyway so I'd be waiting to look at the printer version no matter what. Mostly I was just surprised to find that this had been out for a week and no one seemed to know about it, especially since there's been some talk about the game on these boards in the past.

Actually, it's no rough draft - it's supposed to be identical to the print version in everyway. The artwork, the layout, etc. The only difference are the pages that have been left out from the PDF version. So if you're expecting the action figure art to not be present in the print version, you'll be disappointed.

Remove ads