• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Cydra) Great Conflicts

Yeah, More UPDATES!

Jester,

These guys are on to something. More Updates! Anyone want to chime in as to what their favorite Jester story hour is? To War Against Falenga is mine. The whole Return to the Tomb of Horrors module we played was . . . EPIC. :]

FYI, we've got:

Jester's Old Story Hour
Cydra: The Early Years (recently completed?)
Agents of Chaos
Politics of Tirchond
To War Against Falenga
Great Conflicts
Of Sound Mind (the Halfing Way)

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Honestly, nothing motivates me like feedback. :)

I'll try to post an update by the time we start gamin' tomorrow; failing that, I'll post one for sure by Friday. (Which thread, I'm not yet sure.)

the Jester

Legend
Blendorag (the First Assault)

Here it is, earlier than I'd planned, but hey.

Blendorag. The island has squatted off the east coast of Dorhaus for as long as anyone can recall, for as long as the history of Dorhaus has been recorded. It is a name that makes bards shudder, that causes the wise and learned to turn their mouths down. It is well-known as a foul place of evil.

The island of Blendorag is some 500 miles long, an 80-mile wide spear of cracked earth and scarred rock. The forest of Blendorag is called the Deadwood; another of its landmarks is known as Everburn. The majority of the island rises to form the Cracked Plateau. The plateau rises starkly from the surrounding gravel and grit; it is hard to climb, crumbling under the fingers and toes of those who dare it. Atop the plateau are jagged chunks of sharp broken rock. Somewhere in the middle of it all is the Stinking Pit.

No one is known to have entered the Stinking Pit and returned. The Pit is about 50’ across, a roughly circular canker on the land. Thick, foul-smelling smoke rises from the pit. Terrible devils guard it, and it is said that a pit fiend dwells within; and although God-King Malford, Lester, Hobbes, Stone and certain other great heroes know of the promised treasure within the pit, none of them are presently with our heroes.

Even so, the existence of a fiend of the pit so near to Dorhaus- which he has sworn to protect- is something that Horbin the MFKG Holy cannot condone.

8/21/370 O.L.G., 11:11 a.m., Blendorag

Proto teleports our heroes to a spot just south of the Deadwood. They glance around, taking in the somber isle. There is no obvious sign of life; the Deadwood itself appears to be a forest of petrified trees. Looking it over, Gerontius quirks a smile; there are lots of shadows in there. Veil scans around for thoughts, but there is nothing nearby. Then she checks the time mentally; she has continued to dabble with obelisks over the last week or so, and has fallen under a chaos curse. She no longer needs to touch an obelisk; the chaos changes her every day. One of the things she has gained is a perfect sense of time. It amuses her to no end.

The party moves along the edge of the petrified forest. It is utterly creepy. There is no bird sound; there are no squirrels, no bugs. The few bushes the party sees are dead, petrified. “I don’t know why we didn’t just teleport right to the pit,” comments Lillamere, and Proto gives a metallic shrug.

“There’s nothing like some adventure,” Veil suggests.

“We should just go deal with this fiend,” Horbin grumbles.

Soon our heroes begin to hear a faint sound, a singing perhaps, in the distance. “What’s that?” wonders Gerontius, and the group moves to investigate. Soon enough, they warily approach a clearing with some sort of huge, 30’ tall petrified tree in it.

“I can’t get a reading,” reports Veil nervously, assiduously scanning.

Suddenly the tree begins to twitch.

Proto waits not even a second. He casts seeker missiles, firing a volley at the tree, and then a quickened far strike on his blade. “Watch out!” he calls. “It’s moving!”

Lillamere smirks. “I’ve got just the thing for it... close your eyes!” He hurls a sunburst, squeezing his own eyes shut as he does so and flinging an arm up to shield them from the glare besides. Light explodes, impossibly bright, and everyone is unable to see for a moment. Opening his watering eyes, Lillamere expects to see broken undead tree monster; but to his shock the thing is still standing, barely damaged.

“Oh crap,” he groans, “it’s not undead!”

He doesn’t have any time to say more; suddenly his worst nightmare is facing him: Drelvin gone mad, shooting him in the crotch just like before-

With a scream Lillamere falls dead to the ground.

Everyone else faces their worst fear as well; and in a moment of overwhelming terror the entire group roils in the grip of a weird. But everyone else manages to throw off the grip of the terrible magic.

As our heroes reel and moan, then begin to recover, Proto demonstrates the quality of his programming by casting a chain lightning at the petrified tree monster. The party closes in- and suddenly someone else is there too! A dwarf charges in with startling speed, neither armored nor armed. He rushes in towards the huge monster, but long before he reaches it he is slammed across the face by a thick, rocky tendril that tears free from the ground. It looks suspiciously like a root. The dwarf tumbles forward and springs into the tree, his attack deflecting off of its stony exterior.

Then the great petrified creature tears itself out of the ground as its roots pummel the dwarf. The monk spins and whirls, trying to defend himself, but there are too many of the roots. He fends off one and leaps over another, but then one crashes into his head with brutal force and breaks his jaw! He staggers back a pace, then another blow takes him in the side. He starts to flip away, avoiding another blow, but yet another stony root clips his hip as he tumbles away. He’s bleeding badly; it’s obvious that the blows have almost killed him. He manages to somersault out of the monster’s considerable reach.

“Impressive,” Inoke smiles. Then he power lunges forward with a yell, and the very ground shakes as the titanic tree and the cat-helmed club-wielding warmind slam each other. Though the tree smashes into Inoke over and over, he seems able to take almost unending punishment; and though he lands blow after blow on the plant, the creature seems disinclined to submit or die.

“I’m finally getting through,” Veil calls to the others. “It’s craving something- this can’t be good- hey I feel funny WHAT’S HAPPENING?!”

Suddenly lights blaze from Veil’s eyes. She shrieks in startlement, then realizes what is happening. “It’s Chaos!” she cries. “Wow, I can shoot lights from my eyes! Oooh, that’s a good one!”

Meanwhile, Proto, using his far strike, is both attacking and keeping his distance. He has managed to land several good blows, but he can see that the thing is still in pretty good shape. Worse, Inoke’s strength is obviously flagging; the tree has hit him too hard, too many times, and he stumbles. He is about to fall. Proto shows no emotion; he simply keeps attacking. What does he feel? Does he feel?

The dwarf- whoever the hell he is, thinks Gerontius, who is scared and frustrated (as his ability to sneak attack is useless against elementals, plants and undead, which are the three types of creature this thing looks like it might be) but apparently safe so long as he remains invisible- has meanwhile used his skills to restore some of his lost strength, followed up with a pair of healing potions. Now he steels himself as a final blow finally breaks Inoke’s neck, slaying him; then the dwarf charges in again, his fists cracking against the tree’s bark to no avail.

“Oh what the hell,” Gerontius mutters, and tumbles quietly and invisibly next to the tree thing. With a sigh, he whips out his fire and frost daggers and starts to make an earnest attempt. It is, indeed, better than nothing: the fire and cold seem to harm it, and if he cuts at it he seems to be able to damage it. Another chain lightning blasts the creature, and suddenly a great wind picks up and knocks Gerontius to the ground. Then the tree retreats a pace. The halfling struggles to raise himself up, but the wind is too strong. He screams in frustration. Proto, meanwhile, tries a disintegrate, which blasts some of the creature to powder, but it survives. Veil, meanwhile, is being smashed haplessly about by the roots. He is knocked senseless.

The dwarf, meanwhile, puts his head against the wind and keeps hammering at the creature. Finally he begins to do some damage. It weakens, but still stands; and the dwarf is unrelenting. It tries to scare him off, but it fails; and the dwarf and Proto together deliver the final blow, between the monk’s relentless fists and the warforged’s far strike. The terrible tree monster falls at last, shaking the earth and puncuating the surrounding silence dramatically. A great cloud of dust swirls up around our heroes. At least, those still standing.

Veil groans. Gerontius hurries to Lillamere; he’s dead, his eyes staring open and his mouth contorted in a rictus of fear. Inoke is dead too.

“Perhaps we should retreat for the time being,” suggests Proto.

1 p.m., inside a safe house in the Delphinate

“You can rest here, but you should probably stay inside,” Proto informs the group. “The better to stay out of trouble.”

Veil and Gerontius, ignoring the warforged, turn to the dwarf. “Thanks for your help,” Gerontius begins. “Now who the hell are you?”

The dwarf studies him for a moment. Finally, he answers: “Chakar.”

“What were you doing on Blendorag?” asks Veil. “I can’t read him,” she tells the halfling.

“I seek discipline. There was something there- that tree- that had many to an untimely death. I wished first to know whether my discipline is strong enough to resist it, and second to destroy it.” He pauses. “Both of my tasks are accomplished.” He bows to the party.

“Well like I said, thank you very much,” Gerontius says earnestly. They talk to the monk, and after telling him about some of their adventures and having seen his skill in combat, they ask him to join the party.

“You honor me,” he answers.

8/22/370 O.L.G., 8 p.m., the Delphinate

“Thank you for allowing us to rest here,” says Horbin.

“It is my pleasure. You are allies of my people. You will aid us at the Bastion of Law.” Proto’s voice remains a tinny monotone. Horbin momentarily wonders if that will ever change.

“And thank you, again, for bringing us back,” Inoke says humbly. Lillamere nods.

”Well, thank Dexter, really,” Horbin replies.

8/25/370 O.L.G., 2 p.m., the site of the battle with the petrified tree monster

Our heroes appear, teleporting in again. The site of the battle is just as they left it, except that the omnipresent dust has covered some of it up. They are here for one thing only: trophies.

”I want to make a club out of this,” Inoke says eagerly. “There’s certainly more than enough for all of us to make whatever we want!”

“I want a table for my castle. That’s classy.” Lillamere beams. “House Drelvin’s petrified evil treant wood coffee table. I like it.”

“That wasn’t an evil treant,” says Horbin. “I don’t know what it was, but it wasn’t any kind of treant I’ve ever seen.”

The petrified wood is difficult to harvest, but it’s a nice day. Our heroes chat merrily as they ferry big chunks of petrified wood to Brelana.

At one point, Horbin asks, “Hey Inoke, where’d you get that helmet?” He gestures at the helm Inoke so loves to wear, fashioned to resemble a fierce cat head.

“Back home,” Inoke replies, “in the Parrot Isles. When I was younger... before I was in the Forinthian navy...”

“You were in the navy?” exclaims Gerontius.

“Yep. Anyway, the helmet was in this place overrun by goblins. I took it from them.”

“It looks like a Miloxi artifact,” says Proto.

“What’s that?”

“The Miloxi Empire was an ancient tabaxi empire.”

“What, tabaxi like that Hobbes guy?”

“Yes.”

Inoke shudders. “I hope he doesn’t come after me,” he groans miserably.

“Anyhow, was there anything else like that helmet there? And didn’t you once tell us that it talks to you?” Horbin eyes the helmet in frank curiosity.

“I don’t know- you couldn’t really get in there. There was some kind of barrier.”

“Barrier?”

“Like a wall of force or something,” Inoke explains.

“Very interesting indeed,” comments Lillamere. “Maybe we should go check that place out.”

“What about Blendorag?” Horbin asks. “We need to get rid of this pit fiend.”

“The very first thing we met here killed two of us,” Lillamere says dryly. “Perhaps we could use a chance to prepare a little better.”

“True...”

“And if this place is an ancient Miloxi place, then maybe there’s something we can use against the pit fiend.”

“All right,” the cleric relents. “We’ll check out this place in the Parrot Isles first. But then I’m going to have to deal with the fiend, with or without you.”

“Of course we’ll help you, of course,” Inoke says hurriedly.

“Besides, this probably won’t take more than a couple of days,” Lillamere adds.

Next Time: Our heroes head to the Parrot Isles!

Krafus

First Post
Aah, the further adventures of very high-level characters... Entertaining as usual, the Jester. Btw, out of curiosity, just what was that tree creature? Some sort of templated treant?

the Jester

Legend
Krafus said:
Aah, the further adventures of very high-level characters... Entertaining as usual, the Jester. Btw, out of curiosity, just what was that tree creature? Some sort of templated treant?

Hey, thanks! :D

The creature was an ancient night twist from the MM3 with cosmetic differences. It was a startlingly tough monster for the party for being 'only' CR 20. (Did I really say only CR 20??)

the Jester

Legend
Into Thixil Testa

A quick history lesson before we get started: a long time ago, there was a great empire of cat people. These cat people- we call them tabaxi today- called their realm the Miloxi Empire, and at its height it stretched over 60,000 miles. They were masters of portals, using them to make such a huge empire function, and of strange technologies relying upon weird crystals that seem to poison those near them today. Perhaps they had special techniques to defend themselves from the side effects of their crystals; perhaps the tabaxi are less vulnerable to such effects by their very nature. Who knows. In any event, the folk of the Miloxi era had no knowledge of today’s magic, though their lore of crystals and the mind was great.

Their empire, of course, fell; and it fell disastrously. Well, that was about 50,000 years ago, if you believe the sages.

Empires falling... hey, these things happen.

8/26/370 O.L.G., 10 a.m., the isle of Besta*

When they arrive, mass teleporting in cloaked by invisibility, our heroes survey the scene. As Inoke has told them, the place is a high-walled building without a ceiling, with a large statue of a tabaxi dominating it. Behind the statue, near the ground, is the top portion of a mostly-buried arch leading out, closed off from ingress by some sort of force field that doesn’t radiate magic. The place is overrun by a goblin tribe several score strong. Our heroes move into position near the statue, and then Lillamere conjures a rain of leeches that falls to devastating effect on the goblin tribe. The sounds of shrieking goblins and screams ring out. Then the elven head of House Drelvin turns and disintegrates the wall of force blocking ingress in a flare of green light.

Our heroes squirm through the hole while Lillamere turns and casts another wall of force behind them, stopping the half-hearted javelins beginning to fly their way. The goblins are really mostly too busy to deal with our heroes; the leeches are, to put it mildly, a distraction. Fat, fist-sized bloodsuckers crawl all over the screaming hordes of goblins, many of whom are beginning to falter and collapse to the ground.

Leaving the devastated goblins to do whatever they want, the party examines their surroundings. The metal arch previously sealed by the wall of force is about 16’ high; they had only had about 3’ of clearance above the earthen wall now blocking the lower 13’. The earth is now packed so tight that it has not shifted at all with the destruction of the force field that it had been packed against. Now, as our heroes drop into the chamber, a loud voice calls out something sibilant: ”MRISSSSS?”

“That can’t be good,” comments Gerontius.

Standing at the far end of the chamber, flanking the only obvious door out, are two cat-headed creatures made out of dark violet crystal that is starting to flicker and glow from within.** A cold light falls from the ceiling, where pale blue-white tubes glow brightly.

“They’re probably asking for a password,” reasons Lillamere, “but we certainly don’t have one.” He summons forth a handful of celestial monkeys, who advance towards the looming crystalline golems.

”MRISSSSS?” the other golem asks.

Then the monkeys reach the golems, and as soon as one of them touches one of the golems they burst into motion, smashing the monkeys in seconds.

Gerontius and Chakar both leap forward, striking and damaging the first one, but it strikes back, dealing a stupefying blow to the monk.

“All right, enough then!” cries Inoke, and charges forward, barreling into the first of the purple crystal golems and pushing it back to the wall and next to the other golem. It slams its great hand into him, setting his head to ringing; but Inoke only roars. Then he swings Deadly Avalanche in a wide, sweeping arc, and smashes both golems to rubble in a single blow. The rest of the party has hardly even had time to move.

“Wow,” says Gerontius.

Inoke dusts off his hand and the party examines the room more closely. The walls, floor and ceiling all are metal. The exit is locked.

“No problem.” Gerontius grins, producing a set of thieves’ tools, and sets to work opening the lock. He is startled by how good it is- he doesn’t know if he’s ever faced such a lock before. But his fingers are nimble, and he is intimately familiar with locks and wards of all kinds. Soon enough he springs it open, and our heroes advance into an uninhabited chamber. A series of shower heads are set in the wall here. In the center of the room, running north-south, is a metal fixture that has strange nozzles coming out of it.

“This place is creepy,” murmurs Gerontius.

Three doors lead out of the chamber. The first, it turns out, leads to a chamber with four 8’ diameter pads of crystal on the ground, all dark. The second reveals a few old, brittle smocks on a rack. When handled, they fall apart almost instantly. The room is also partitioned- to allow one to change with a modicum of privacy, our heroes surmise. The third door leads to a 15’ wide metal hallway with one door to the right, one at the end and three to the left.

The doors on the left open first. What appears to be a great litter box, with a central hole that waste could be dumped down, gives the party a chuckle. A room of cleaning supplies doesn’t provoke too much interest from the group. The final room on the left has large ‘cat trees’ in the corners, as well as a stone table with a metal base bolted to the floor. There are metal shelves set in the walls. A lamp lies on the table.

“I bet they ate here,” Gerontius comments. “Hmm, I’m hungry- if only there was some food here!”

Suddenly the lamp issues a great cloud of smoke, and in seconds something congeals from it- a tall genie! The genies bows before the party, who goggle at it: it has the head of a cat! Nonetheless, a turban is atop it, and its vest and pantaloons give it that look so typical of geniekind.

“Greetings!” it cries telepathically. “How may I be of service? Do you need food?”

After a moment, Gerontius says, “Well, I’m a halfling.”

“Indeed!” cries the genie, and suddenly there is food on the table before the invisible blade.

“Well then,” beams Gerontius, and digs in.

“Who are you?” Chakar asks. “What are you doing here?”

“I am Djoula Al-Hiwarij,” declares the feline genie. It turns out he has been here for a very long time, mostly confined to his bottle. “Please take me with you when you leave,” he begs, “it is so boring here! I will give you three wishes if you free me from this place!”

Sounds great to pretty much the entire party, so they agree to pick up his lamp before they leave. As they exit the room the genie returns to his bottle, and our heroes move to the next door- the one at the end of the hallway. It leads to a narrower hallway, and about half way down, illuminated by the same blue-white glowing ceiling rods that light the entire place (at least so far), our heroes see a perfectly immobile elf. He doesn’t move an inch- he doesn’t even appear to breathe. Beyond him, another 50’ past him, is another door, this one of some weird white ceramic.

The elf, watched for a minute, doesn’t move. It’s as if he’s caught in mid-step.

”This isn’t a trap or anything,” Gerontius says at last, his voice dripping sarcasm.

Next Time: Will our heroes fall into the trap? Will they rescue the elf? What’s through the door at the end of the hall? Find out all this and more!

*It is not impossible that I might have the specific island that Inoke was from wrong- it’s either Besta or Rolva. Either way, it’s a small island about 14 miles across in an out of the way island chain called the Parrot Isles that is mostly famous for its kocho.

**Think of a fluorescent black light starting up.

the Jester

Legend
Into Thixil Testa- pt. 2

At a glance, the frozen elf looks like a powerful wizard or sorcerer; he wears scarlet robes dusted with sand and clutches a wooden staff topped with a coppery globe. Whatever holds him here obviously bypassed or overcame any defenses he had; and he looks rather formidable. The adventurers move slowly down the hall, Gerontius carefully checking for signs of danger or trap mechanisms as they do so.

Soon they’ve reached the elf without any trouble. None of them want to advance past his location; it seems likely to be a location-based trap, and nobody wants to get stuck like a fly in amber.

An initial round of dispels fails to affect the situation at all, so after some discussion, Inoke tries simply pulling the elf figure back. To his chagrin, the elf won’t budge. His muscles bulge as he pulls, to no avail. Finally, he states, “Well, I’m going to try putting my ring of freedom of movement on him.” He pulls it off- and freezes in place, just like the elf!

“Great,” groans Lillamere. “Now what?”

“His plan was good,” notes Chakar. “He simply did not have the mastery of self to overcome the stasis.” He pauses, then steps in front of Inoke. “I will wager that I do.” The dwarven monk, too, has a ring of freedom of movement, and now he steps in front of his burly, frozen companion, draws a deep breath, and slips his ring free. Instantly he feels the tingle of the stasis field surrounding him, but he is his own master. He slides his arm through the field and places the ring on Inoke, then pushes him back, out of the field again. The fighter groans, staggering back, and Chakar emerges from the field. Inoke, shaking his head to clear it, gives Chakar his ring back.

“Thank you,” he utters, his voice hoarse.

Chakar turns wordlessly back to the elven figure held by the stasis field. Again, a deep breath to settle his concentration; then Chakar moves back into the field, slips the ring on the elf, and drags him back.

Almost instantly, the elf tenses, looking around wildly. He cries out in a strange tongue nobody can comprehend. There are a few confused moments while the group tries to understand each other, but again Chakar steps up; his abilities allow him to speak to almost anything.

“His name is Hashrek,” says Chakar after the elf and he pass a few minutes in conversation. “He’s never heard of most of the stuff we’re familiar with- he must be from pretty ancient times. He says he was coming here to search through the ruins of this place but must have been caught in a trap of some kind.”

Hashrek tells them (through Chakar) that he was one of the Elder Elves- an ancient race of powerful elves. He had come to look for Miloxi relics. Sybele, at least, has seen the works of the Elder Elves before, years ago in a terrible place called Firestorm Peak. They had a gate that had attuned itself to a realm of madness far removed from conventional reality. She lost many friends trying to shut that portal.

“He’s mind blanked or otherwise protected against my mind scan,” Veil declares to the others.

“And there’s something fishy going on here,” adds Proto quietly in his mechanical voice. “The Elder Elves came before the Miloxi Empire.”

Nonetheless, the party decides to take Hashrek with them. If he’s as potent as he looks, he might be very useful in a fight. Better yet, he might have a certain level of knowledge about this place that could prove very useful. And, unanimously, our heroes agree that it’s also much better to have him with them than to have him wandering around unattended even if he does turn out to be dangerous to them. At this point, Horbin casts tongues on him, allowing introductions and such.

So Chakar and Inoke, wearing their rings of freedom of movement, proceed to the end of the passage and open the door. The group ascertains that the stasis field is gone by the simple act of walking forward; beyond the room is a chamber most unusual.

In the center of the room is a broad pit with tracks in the side sinking down about 20’. The bottom of it looks like the rest of the metal floor above, but its circumference is marked out in faded red. The room also contains two control panels and a strange coppery device with a great ring set in the center. The copper device is a block set into the floor with two prongs emerging from the top of each end. There are scorch and burn marks near the prongs, and some sort of shattered shell of silvery metal foil lies around it. One of the control panels is dark and useless. The other has two dark screens, but two levers and a handful of buttons scattered across the panel are lit up still.

“Oh my god, I’m so glad Lester isn’t here,” Horbin breathes.

Nonetheless, it’s only a matter of time.

Our heroes look around, but nothing turns up that isn’t obvious to begin with. So, soon enough, Gerontius starts monkeying with levers and buttons, and abruptly the lights turn red and klaxons start sounding!

Inoke hears his tabaxi helmet in his mind: Beware, that might indicate high radiation levels.

What’s that mean? Inoke thinks back to it.

It is potentially disastrous, his helmet replies.

“Oh no, you’ve Lestered it up now,” groans Horbin.

“Quickly,” commands Proto, “gather around. I will mass teleport us out of here before anything goes too wrong.” The group huddles together, and Proto begins casting his spell.

At the last instant, Hashrek steps back and away, and the party mass teleports, leaving him behind. He smiles.

1 p.m., Brelana, Western Dorhaus

“Does anyone know what ‘radiation’ is?” Inoke asks.

“I’ve heard stories before,” muses Horbin. “Drelvin and Lester talked about it a few times... some sort of effect, like a long-term poisoning, that sometimes came from... ancient... tabaxi ruin.” He frowns. “Do you think that’s what the alarms meant?”

“Maybe. My helmet said it could be.”

Pure speculation, says the helm to Inoke.

“Well, I can probably heal us from its effects,” Horbin starts, but then his face falls. “Maybe not, actually, since I seem to recall Lester saying that they could never remove its effects, and this was when Dexter himself was traveling with them.” He sighs. “Great.”

“And what do you suppose Hashrek is doing?” Inoke wonders.

Over the next few days our heroes rest and recuperate while Lillamere- Baron Lillamere, now- legend lores Hashrek. He writes the snatch of doggerel down and shows it around:

Dull-eyed and terrified
Lay the followers of his foemen
As Hashrek the Brutal
Laid low all his countrymen
Fleeing his lord’s revenge
Across ocean hill and glen
Until he found the place
That giant’s strength could rise
Where crystal and magic and mind
Would join in one surmise

“’Hashrek the Brutal,’” comments Inoke. “Great. We rescued this guy.”

Chakar shrugs. “We will un-rescue him.”

8/28/370 O.L.G., 10 a.m., the depths of Thixil Testa*

This time the half-dragon Rex comes with the party. The goblins are dead or fled. Teleporting into the Miloxi building is inhibited somehow, so the party comes in from just outside. Their first move is to go get the lamp.

It is gone.

In the dust there are tracks: humanoid but feline- and with reversed toes.

“Rakshasa,” Lillamere hisses.

“This gets better and better,” Veil murmurs. She winces. The radiation may be gradually building up in the bodies of most of her companions, but it just seems to hurt her and Proto right off the bat. It’s not bad yet, but... well. Ever since the Chaos turned her into a construct, certain things have been... different... than they used to be for her. She smiles a secret smile. It’s probably better to take damage than to be crippled by the radiation, anyway, she thinks. And I don’t quite feel the pain like I used to- it’s almost detached. And it’s useful- Proto and I can tell how bad the exposure we’re getting is.

The lights are still red, and the klaxons still blare. It is maddening. Searching around some more through the doors they have not already been through turns up an interesting prize: several old suits made out of some sort of thick rubbery yellow material. “These must be to help protect against the radiation!” Inoke exclaims. He puts one of them on, and though it looks comical and ridiculous, he decides that it’s probably worth wearing if things start to feel ‘hot.’ The group takes the suits.

The last room that they’ve not yet explored turns out to be another room full of control panels, only one of which is not obviously broken down. Something is scratched in the surface of it; a dagger lies on the ground nearby.

“Anyone read Ancient Miloxi?” jokes Gerontius.

It says, ‘don’t touch levers,’ Inoke’s helmet tells him. He passes this along.

“There doesn’t seem to be much here,” comments Rex. “And where’s this Hashrek?” He pushes his chest out, puffing up.

“We’ll find him,” Lillamere promises.

The group returns to the room with the control panels and the copper block thing, whatever it is. To their surprise, there has been a significant change to the scene: in the pit, the center of the floor has opened. Beneath it is a 25’ square pit about 60’ deep with tracks on all the walls and anther hatch in the bottom.

Obviously, our heroes descend.

Another hatch is below it, this one closed. Lillamere disintegrates it without a second thought. Dropping through this, the party enters a room about 30’ on a side whose walls, floor and ceiling are all completely lined with lead. Unfortunately, one wall has been largely dug away at some point. Its passage leads downward at a moderate incline (around 20 degrees). This room is a shambles; something has torn it apart. There are metal lockers rent open and ripped apart, and the remains of some more radiation protection gear.

Our heroes search through the mess, and while almost everything is clearly badly damaged, there are two intact suits of weird, white ceramic armor. The suits have strange dials on the chest. When they are turned one direction, little wire lines in the suit light up.

“Weird,” says Inoke.

“Let’s take them,” says Rex. “They are too small for me, but still.”

Though there’s a door out of the chamber, the party elects to first investigate the dug-out wall. They move cautiously into a natural cavern that slopes downward, full of pulsing, organ-like fungal growths like nothing our heroes have ever seen before.

Then, suddenly, with a terribly loud bellowing roar, a hideous monster bursts forth. It is huge, with cratered skin and shiny carapace both. It is barely recognizable as an umber hulk; it has clearly undergone some sort of unnatural mutation. A cloud of green gas starts to billow our from it, choking and poisoning our heroes, and Inoke’s eyes glaze over with confusion.

“Oh crap,” Lillamere moans faintly.

Invisible and mind blanked, Hashrek the Brutal gloats as his charmed irradiated umber hulk servant moves in for the kill.

Next Time: Major battle between Hashrek and the umber hulk and our heroes!!

*Although our heroes don’t know it, that’s the name of this place in ancient Miloxi.

Krafus

First Post
This is the kind of action I like to read about when looking at story hours with high level characters. For lower-level parties, that large tribe of goblins would have been a major hindrance requiring care and planning. For this party, all that are needed are two spells casually cast, and off they go to more important matters.

Out of curiosity, what level is Hashrek, and is he a PC or a NPC?

Remove ads