Cydra: the Early Years

the Jester

Legend
To the Aquan Pyramid

The trip to Shorult from the lair is about 140 miles; it’s a 35-hour journey by way of the Sea Hag, and really, how else are our heroes going to travel? As usual, on the way they pass Chanticleer around. (They are pirates, after all, and she is the self-appointed ship’s tail. Though- granted- there hasn’t really been much piracy yet.) Their lair needs supplies and they’re low on money; and, even more important, the group’s getting bored. It’s time to go pirating- unless something better comes along, Malford thinks.

Haart, naturally, is morose, but it’s hard to read his expression now that he’s missing the lower half of his face. He has grown grotesque to look upon; his face really is a mess. Galliger snickers every time he sees it; Lyr just sees it as a sign of the gods’ capriciousness.

As the vessel sails towards the town, Dexter has a strange dream in which he sees an ancient text- he gets the impression that it’s the very first copy of the Galadron- falling into vague evil hands, and he sees the famous witch-hunter Hendrick in the pirates’ lair. When

Upon reaching Shorult our heroes set about provisioning, drinking and buying supplies. Dexter wanders the streets thoughtfully on his own, increasingly bitter at the treatment the others are giving him, especially Galliger. I thought he was my friend, Dex thinks bitterly. But since I turned to the Light, he’s been so hateful to me! Doesn’t he understand- I had no choice, they tortured me! They would have killed me! And I’m sure they have a way to monitor me- they’ll know if I go back on it.!

Struggling with his own inner demons, the young Dexter spends a lot of time by himself.

The elves of Gorel- for Shorult is one of the coastal towns of Gorel- are clearly not happy to have a strong Forinthian presence garrisoning their island. The Law of the Light is strictly enforced; at one point Chanti purses her lips and glares angrily as an elf is whipped for speaking the name of Galador. Our heroes don’t like it, especially being- again, except for Dexter and perhaps Rajah- avowed enemies of the Light. Finding that there’s a new Galadorian temple being built in town, our heroes scout the scene and consider some sabotage; but being easily distracted by elfin wine, they never quite get to it.

While they drink in a local human bar, an interested party catches site of Rajah. Taking care not to be noticed, he simply observes, drinking his beer. Elcruche will want to hear about this; it’s about time they picked up the scent again!

After a few nights in Shorult, Malford tells the group that he’s found an intriguing opportunity. “I was contacted by a merchant named Esel,” he tells the others, “who would like to hire us for an interesting-sounding job. Seems there’s this pyramid that only emerges from the water every seventeen years for a few weeks, and he’s interested in obtaining historical artifacts from it.” He glances around. “It’s not piracy, but I think that it might be even more lucrative. It’s a good way to start.”

So they set sail for the Aquan Pyramid, and in its honor Chanti composes a new sea chantey:

A magical pyramid
On a cold, briny sea
Full o’ treasure lay in wait
For my companions an’ me

So we adventured forth
Into treacherous depths
Burt thanks to my faith
My confidence never left

Our success was inevitable
Due to this I doth speak
Twas the fact that we were favored
By our beloved god Bleak.

Thanks to Bleak, Bleak, Bleak
(clap, clap, clap, clap)
I give my thanks to Bleak
For he’ll protect my always
In all the adventures I’ll seek!

With the exception of Dexter, everyone claps along. Galliger seems both proud of Chanti and eager to use her to slake his lust, and as always she’s willing to accommodate him. He is her priest, after all.

And Captain Malford frowns to himself. How long will someone like Galliger be content to be first mate if he starts to have a dedicated following?

So Malford begins a little project to split Chanti from Galliger. Secretly, when she’s alone, he uses a combination of phantasmal force and audible glamer* to send her a ‘visitation’ from Bleak... and to tell her that Galliger is straying from the path and must be watched.

Meanwhile, as they traveled towards the Pyramid, another vessel, colored to match the water and with a very specialized, low-profile hull, sleekly pulled from a hidden cove not far out of Shorult. Elcruche and his cronies were in pursuit of their target, still and always.

*That’s silent image and ghost sound these days, or at least roughly so.

Next Time: (Probably, anyway)- the Aquan Pyramid!

Lela

First Post
Wow, Dexter is a great tragic character. Tortured into rightousness. Forced to be good.

I wonder if he even knows if he wants to be good or evil. And that's the best part.

vykyng

First Post
Bah!

All the foolish (not to mention evil) characters live forever while the worthy ones die from failing a hunting check or mysteriously 'disappearing'.

Sorry, had to rant there.

btw, how did that incompetent boob Felenga survive? And what of Fulgin? Does he still 'live'?

the Jester

Legend
vykyng said:
All the foolish (not to mention evil) characters live forever while the worthy ones die from failing a hunting check or mysteriously 'disappearing'.

Sorry, had to rant there.

btw, how did that incompetent boob Felenga survive? And what of Fulgin? Does he still 'live'?

Folks, meet Rajah's player. Er, and Vido's, too- that's the hunting check.

As for how Felenga and Fuligin- well, I'll try to email you the details... they won't make much sense to the readers here without some context.

Note, however, that Malford is still alive. :)

the Jester

Legend
All right, Jeff, I'll put this behind spoiler tags for everyone who doesn't want to know the secrets too soon (and haven't read about the backstory elsewhere, where bits of it are recounted)... click and drag to reveal the answers to all your questions.

Fuligin, of course, was in Darkhold. Cydra, as it turned out, was sort of a simulation of a world engineered by the Master of Darkness and powered by the three deities who'd been empowered in Darkhold (Froth, Zelman and Garnet). Zelman managed to sneak his staff out and thereby seek aid (from pcs, naturally). They went to Darkhold- found the entrance via Zelman's staff- and Lester accidentally freed Fuligin, who wreaked havoc on Cydra and singlehandedly summoned enough evil outsiders that he depopulated Dorhaus of almost everything that wasn't evil, whether it was man, animal or plant. "Kill it!" was his command. Our heroes went back in time with the aid of the surviving Face Dancers and the Master of Darkhold to gather the necessary components to create a new Nature to replace the one that Tharizdun devoured. It was only at the moment of Nature's original genesis that Tharizdun could be bound.

Nature was not yet entirely extinguished; a few smoldering cinders were all that remained of the multiverse, guarded by the Angels of the Apocalypse. I'll tell you the rest later, I have to go back to work.

the Jester

Legend
To continue:

The pcs- along with Scytale- ran the gauntlet, but the Angels of the Apocalypse and Tharizdun were alerted. They (the pcs) fought their way through various time periods, gathering up a number of necessary items, such as a huge chunk of Scanliana as it was exploded, and beat their way past Felenga, only failing to attain the Diamond Sword of Raldese. They made it back to Darkhold, where the Master engineered a new Genesis of Nature and succeeding in binding Tharizdun again. This cut Fuligin off from the source of most of his power and drove him near-catatonic, so that when the pcs attacked him again they found him defeatable.

While our heroes were time-hopping through Oerth, Boccob became aware of them and did the math. History began changing. The Face Dancers became aware of the pcs as well and messed with them. In the end, they inadvertently brough Boccob, Carella, Tade (who didn't die in this alternate history) and some other deities through- they're now in Cydra.

Felenga, meanwhile, had dispatched by Tharizdun to try to follow the pcs. Of course, he was too smart to enter Darkhold- until a tunnel was opened by a combination of the Champion of Elemental Evil and the four Princes of Elemental Evil. This 'tunnel' through time and dimension allowed Felenga entry into Cydra from the end of the previous multiverse.

And that's it in a nutshell.

the Jester

Legend
Into the Aquan Pyramid

Note for the curious: We played this game session on Nov. 21, 1993. The game ran from 11/16/95 O.L.G. to 11/20/95 O.L.G., some of which was covered in the last update.

The Aquan Pyramid thrust from the sea, coming to a point some 180’ above the waterline. The north face bore eroded glyphs whose meaning was lost on our heroes.

“Let’s go,” said Malford.

They found an entrance about 130’ up. The pyramid was wet and covered in barnacles and sea growths; it wasn’t an easy climb, but it was far from impossible. The entrance was a four foot diameter circular hall, requiring our heroes to crouch as they moved in to a chamber no larger than 10’x15’. Here the ceiling rose to a comfortable level. Water was everywhere; a starfish was on the floor, and wet gravel and a couple of dead fish as well. The walls had faded murals painted in them, obscured by time but apparently showing some sort of magnificent castle. Two doors led out.

Our heroes began exploring by opening the south door.

There were a lot of shellfish attached to the floors and walls; water was everywhere, and it seemed that silt and sand had managed to intrude a surprising distance into the place. A large throne was along the far wall. As our heroes fiddled with things, Chanti uncovered a hidden switch built into one of the throne’s armrests, and the wall behind it swung away, revealing a secret passage. Cautiously, the party moved down the revealed hallway. At the end of it-

Four gargoyles sprang at the party. None of whom, as of yet, had magic weapons.*

The battle was vicious- though the party’s weapons bounced off, a combination of Bleak’s cause wounds spells (via Galliger), Malford and Urick’s mage spells, Lyr’s magic stone and Rajah’s tremendous roar, which stuns the gargoyles for an instant, finally managed to carry the day. Our heroes were battered and bruised but eager to continue on. A search after the battle turned up a fair amount of coin and a gem, as well as a longsword.

“It’s magic,” Malford told them after a moment.

“Good!” Chanti grinned. “I need a magic sword!”

Haart tried to protest but only gurgled. Everyone ignored him, except Dexter, who gulped as he tried not to vomit at the hideously maimed gnome’s visage. Chanticleer took the sword.

They looked around for another exit. At first they didn’t see one; then, after a search for secret doors, they found another hidden passage. This one led to a room holding a staircase leading down.

Dexter hesitated. “If we go far enough down...”

Captain Malford nodded. “We might hit water.”

The group silently contemplated this idea for a moment, then began their descent. Upon reaching the stairs’ termination about 20’ down in the next level, they found themselves in a grey-white chamber, glistening with moisture. The ceiling rose to a high peak 20’ above them. The walls were covered in the muck of the sea, green and slimy. Other than the steps they’d come down, there was nothing in the room- no furnishings, no ornamentation, no exits.

“Secret doors?” Lyr said.

The party searched around and, sure enough, after clearing some of the muck away they found a cleverly hidden secret door in the room’s southwest corner. Haart made a choked gurgling sound, but nobody could tell what he meant. The group of adventurers popped open the secret door and found themselves looking into a corridor running to the east and west; almost immediately to the right of the secret door the hall turned right and headed out of sight around the corner.

Our heroes stepped through into the corridor. Looked both ways. Went left. As they moved warily forward, Malford was examining the walls and floor for traps and the others searched as well- and, 10’ from a northward turn in the passage, our heroes found another secret door.

“Good thing we were searching,” Rajah commented.

The party opened this secret door and found themselves looking into another chamber with sea silt and similar things in it. Scuttling towards them came a coral-colored arachnid, either crab or spider; but a single blow from Chanti with her new sword skewers it. “I wonder if we can eat it,” Lyr says hungrily. Chanti puts her boot on the thing and pulls her blade from it.

“Stairs,” Malford pronounces, gesturing grandly at the spiral stairs before them. There are also two doors. After a momentary debate, they elect to start on the left and work their way over- a tendency that the players will continue for many characters. The door is locked, but Malford is able to persuade it and it opens to a relatively clean chamber. Four figures stand stationary for an instant after the door opens, held is stasis, but then they’re moving! Opening the door has awakened them!

And the battle is joined, as four elite guardians begin their battle against the intruders.

*Remember, back in 2e they required a +1 or better weapon to hit. There was none of this ‘power through the damage reduction’ stuff- you just couldn’t. hurt them with nonmagical weapons, period.

Next Time: Our heroes, who are a party of eight 1st-4th level pcs, fight a deadly quartet of 7th-8th level bad guys!!

Remove ads