Cydra: the Early Years

the Jester

Legend
Deep in the Aquan Pyramid

Battle was joined brutally, with no quarter to be offered or given.

A tall, imposing man with a human skull at his belt, Dreadsum grinned at our heroes. His teeth were filed to points.

From a bag at his side he drew forth a handful of sticks. He whispered something to them, then casts them down to the ground- and a handful of snakes started slithering towards our heroes.

Lyr recognized the symbol on his chest. She bore it as well. She must oppose a member of her own faith! But the idea did not disturb her- not at all. Hefting her harpoon, she hurled it at him. Survival of the fit, after all. Malford slipped back around the corner to hide for a backstab while Rajah and Haart leapt forward.

The enemy were not idle.

Urmads, a disheveled-looking man with unkempt hair, cast a shield before him. A metal orb was already orbiting him protectively. Colgurd sprand forward to engage the charging party members and singlehandedly brought them to a screeching halt. Steel rings off steel as he dueled Haart while Rajah nimbly dodged aside.

Then the last of the four, a half-elf named Galor, unleashed a lightning bolt, which careened through the party, blasting several of our heroes badly, but none fatally.

Colgurd staggered as a single mighty blow to the chest almost killed him.* Then he dropped as Rajah leaped on top of him like a tiger, clawing and tearing at him. Rising from his defeated foe, Rajah turned to Galor- who was the sudden victim of Malford’s backstab! “Aargh!” the half-elf screamed, staggering.

The snakes were swarming forward, but Chanti cleaved through them like they were paper. Galliger slashed forward with his axe, crying, “Oh, yeah, I’m afraid of your stupid religion. Yeah, let me show you just how afraid you make me. Here you go.” With that he hacked into Dreadsum. The two of them smashed at each other, Lyr moving in to snap at him as well with her whip. Finally, with a sneer, Galliger managed to drop him.

Dexter exercised his mental powers to try to confuse and disable Galor, who had brought a series of mirror images into being around himself. A blast of magic missiles from Urmads only succeeded in attracting Rajah’s attention, and moving like a tiger, the man struck out. In mere moments, the wild mage had gone down.

Now the odds were better: even elite, the two remaining guardians were only two. And indeed, in a few more moments, our heroes prevailed.

“Damn,” Malford crowed, “that was good! Those guys were tough- I wonder if they have any magic stuff?” With that, he happily cast detect magic. With a whoop of delight, the captain of the band of ruffians we’re referring to as our heroes scooped up the skull from Dreadsum’s belt, the orb that had orbited Urmads, a dagger from Galor and three potions. “We’ll divide the loot later,” he declared, stuffing everything into a bag for the time being.

Haart gurgled inexplicably.

Back to the stairs and down, then; our heroes descended cheerily but warily. (Chanti was already composing another sea chantey in her head.) But they descended into an abrupt and total blackness, despite their light sources.

Galliger, as a cleric of Bleak, could see in such darkness- even when caused by magic.** In fact, he was quite comfortable there, and he briefly considered attacking Lyr while she was at a disadvantage, but he decided against it. After all, he was pretty wounded after that fight. He scowled. The only thing that Galador’s clerics had that he wished for himself was... the ability to heal.

Well, to the Abyss with them. He could heal over time, or with the aid of some fool that he tricked. Like when he and Dexter had tricked that one cleric of the Light... He scowled again. Dexter was a sore spot for him. My first convert, and he turns to the Light! How dare he! I’ll sacrifice him for that, cut out his stinking heart!

Galliger, as we can see, was full of darkness and hate. Such is a priest of Bleak.

His reverie was interrupted when he notices shadows flitting towards the group. He tittered and shouted, “Oh no- undead! It would be a shame if they were drawn to followers of the Light!” And he pointed exaggeratedly at Dex in the darkness.

The shadows, alas, were drawn to life. They attacked everyone in a terrible swarm.

Again, battle was joined; and again our heroes fought for their lives. There were as many shadows as there were members of the party; and with only Chanti’s magic sword and the newfound magic dagger able to hit them, our heroes looked to be in trouble at first.

But Chanticleer was not to be underestimated; her prowess with the sword was extraordinary. And Malford, Dex and Urick had their own magical abilities with which to combat the shadows. Though our heroes’ strength was drained a bit at a time, the shadows started to fall one by one. It is the party that emerged victorious; the last shadow falls before the first of the party. But the group, for the most part, could barely hold themselves upright with their loads.

“We’d better retreat for now,” groaned Malford.

The party slowly tromped up the stairs and through the second level of the pyramid. Back to the top, feet dragging. “Galador’s balls, this is a long climb,” groaned Galliger. Finally, they reached the Sea Hag. After going back aboard, the group unloaded themselves and started to settle in to rest.

“We’re going back to Shorult,” Malford announced. “We need a little time, and now that we’ve gotten a little loot, we should identify it and split it up. Plus, we could probably stand to take on some supplies, now that we have a decent idea of what kind of environment we’re going to be in.” He clambered laboriously back up on deck and started barking orders.

Good, thought Dexter. He’s burning in anger. I can’t stand this anymore. Galliger’s making me furious- he doesn’t understand, I did what I had to, I had no choice!

Just then, Galliger said, “Hey Dex.”

“What?” snapped Dexter.

Galliger smiled at him. “Just don’t forget that you gave your soul to Bleak already. Go ahead and worship Galador all you want. But just remember that Bleak owns you. And never forget, whenever you pray to the Light, exactly who gets you when you die.” He gave Dexter a huge toothy smile. “Good night.” And with that, he left to go to his quarters.

Dex, cold to his bones, thought, He’s right.

*39 hp in one shot. I believe this must have been a critical hit.

**Granted power of priests of Bleak. I had no generic clerics in 2e; everyone was a specialty priest.

Next Time: Betrayal! Which pc will attack which other pc???

Lela

First Post
I remember that blasted Damage Reduction stuff. It was especially annoying in Balder's Gate II when you had to fight the Pit Fiend. I swear, you'd think a Balor would be able to hit that guy. But nooo, his super powerful claws couldn't hurt the Devil. Naturally, though, the Pit Fiend could hurt him.

I'm so glad they changed that for 3rd and adjusted it more for 3.5.

the Jester

Legend
Betrayal!

“I need some new spells,” announced Malford. “The three of us are going to get some once we get back to Shorult.”

He, Dexter and Galiger were in his cabin a few hours out of Shorult.

“Why us?” sneered Galiger.

“Because I’m the captain and I said so,” snapped Malford, clearly in a bit of a foul temper. Softening his tone, he added, “Because we each have certain talents germane to the operation.”

Galiger nodded reluctantly, then glared at Dexter. “I you mess this up, I’ll kill you, kid,” he said with a smile.

Shorult- an elven tree town. With a population small enough that crime was unusual. But hey, how are you gonna get what you need if you don’t take it? By the time it was noticed, Malford hoped, they’d be gone anyway. A few days, maybe half a week at most, and they’d be gone.

A little information gathering to track down a local wizard, followed by the application of the three pirates’ unique abilities- Dexter’s mind-influencing powers, Malford’s knowledge of magic and ability to get around traps, and Galiger’s ability to influence undead guardians- led quickly to a murdered wizard and a pilfered spellbook.

“Well, I guess I won’t kill you yet,” Galiger said half-jokingly to Dexter as they walked through the streets of town.

“That’s it!” Dexter cried. He swung around, face crimson, and exploded into psionic fury on Galiger, blasting his memories and experiences away in a mindwipe! Galiger shrieked and staggered as his powers, his mental faculties, his very experiences started to melt away!

Savagely, Dexter continued his psionic attack. “Dexter, Galiger, stop!” Malford shouted, but to no avail. Galiger howled and brought a field of darkness into being around all of them.

Got to stop them, Malford thought wildly. He tumbled back out of the darkness and snapped off the words to a sleep spell.

Within the darkness, the sound of falling bodies.

Now what? Malford wondered grimly.

With a slow groan, Galiger opened his eyes.

He was in an alley, off the main street. Folded atop his chest was a note. A raging void was throbbing in his brain, where he could sense the absence of things in his mind, things that were there just hours ago. The absence of spells he once could cast...

His eyes stinging with tears, he read the letter, then cast it aside. Vicious anger burned in his heart and he stormed back to the Sea Hag.

“Where are the Captain and Dexter?” asked Lyr, perceiving something to be the matter from Galiger’s mien.

“Shut up, bitch,” growled Galiger. He stormed into his cabin.

Urick and Lyr exchanged a glance.

A few moments later Galiger emerged, struggling to close a robe over his body, which had flask after flask of oil strapped to it.

“What...?” Chanti gasped.

”The Captain and Dexter have betrayed us,” Galiger shouted at the crew. “They won’t be back. The ship should leave as soon as possible! Get out of Shorult in case they turn us in!”

“What?”

“I’m going to burn down the Church of Galador,” finished Galiger. “Hopefully I’ll be back. Be ready to cast off soon. If I’m not back in an hour I didn’t make it and get out of here.”

Galiger stomped off.

Chanti let out a low whistle.

“What the hell just happened?” Urick wondered in amazement.

As the sun went down the sky in the west turned orange and then pink, and so did the sky in the east; but to the east it was the smoke rising from the ruin of the Galadorian temple. How many lives were lost in the conflagration? Who knows- but not more than one in ten was a native elf of Gorel; the rest were almost all humans of Forinthia.

And, of course, one human cleric of Bleak, his remains at the center of the entire thing, dozens of flasks of oil exploded all over his body.

Chanticleer’s voice rose over the sound of the waves in a newly-composed chantey:

I once knew a priest named Galiger,
A heroic one was he;
He fought followers of Galador,
Wherever they may be.

Yet a traitor stabbed him in the back,
And made his soul turn deepest black,
But before he died he did attack
A temple in the name of Bleak!

Galiger, the servant of Bleak-
He never turned the other cheek!
The name of Bleak he’d always shriek!
His tale of which I’ll forever speak!
And in trying times, when I feel weak
I’ll remember Galiger,
The faithful servant of Bleak.

As the Sea Hag left the isle of Gorel behind again, heading (for lack of a better destination) back to the Aquan Pyramid, the pillar of smoke rose into the sky, lit from below by the inferno that was Galiger’s last action. Standing on deck, looking back, Lyr and Urick watched in silence for quite some time.

“What do you think really happened?” wondered Urick.

”I don’t know.”

“We’re directionless now.”

“I know.”

“We don’t even have a captain,” Urick complained.

”I know. We’ll have to decide on one, and on what to do with ourselves.”

“We’re pirates.”

“We’ve hardly pirated.”

Lyr sighed. “We’ll figure it out.”

They sailed into the sunset.

the Jester

Legend
So let's see....

Here is a rough breakdown of the major untold 'story arcs' to be told from the earlier games... also largely for my organizational benefit. ;)

Farenth's Game
The Bad Man of the Woods
The Hill of Skulls
The Dragon
The College Years
Resurrection
Far Lands
The Epic of Fuligin
Gaea's Mantle
Against the Horrors
The Gates of Firestorm Peak
The Hatching Cave