D&D 5E D&D’s Christopher Perkins delves into dark, horrible secrets of the mind flayer

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Good find, thanks: I would read the following as a hint at a Mindflayer focused Adventure Storyline (of which there are other hints in here, it seems to me), more than a Spelljammer setting book:

"GamesBeat: Can nautiloids, the spelljamming ships that illithids use to sail the stars, plane shift into the astral and other planes?"

"Perkins: According to Volo’s Guide to Monsters, illithid nautiloids can travel from the Astral Plane to the Material Plane and back again. One can presume it’s no harder for the vessel to travel to other planes of existence as well."

"We might circle back around to this topic in an upcoming D&D product, though it’s too soon to talk details."

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
Big Spelljammer fan, here, and I remember an old Dragon magazine (pre-SJ) that had Voidjammers (Astral ships), easy to combine them both for 5th Ed. Not sure if crystal spheres are a thing in 5th Ed, or have they kept it opaque?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Big Spelljammer fan, here, and I remember an old Dragon magazine (pre-SJ) that had Voidjammers (Astral ships), easy to combine them both for 5th Ed. Not sure if crystal spheres are a thing in 5th Ed, or have they kept it opaque?

They are a thing in 5E, but they haven't really been brought up front and center...yet.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The upcoming product might be Baldur’s Gate III, since we know mind flayers are going to play a huge part in it. And the timing of this coming right after the trailer for BG3 seems a strong coincidence.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Didnt they say Spelljammer was a running joke?

For Stewart, saying that Spelljammer is confirmed is a running joke: yet, he does it in such a way that it seems the point of the joke is to keep Spelljammer in people's minds until they spring it on us. Elements of it, at least, keep showing up, as part of the default meta-setting.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
For Stewart, saying that Spelljammer is confirmed is a running joke: yet, he does it in such a way that it seems the point of the joke is to keep Spelljammer in people's minds until they spring it on us. Elements of it, at least, keep showing up, as part of the default meta-setting.

So you're saying it's a conspiracy and even though this is exactly what a running joke would look like, we should assume it's actually real?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I'm impressed that Mr. Perkins knew all of those Mind Flayer facts off the top of his head--or perhaps he has been reading up on them lately, hmmmm....? B-)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So you're saying it's a conspiracy and even though this is exactly what a running joke would look like, we should assume it's actually real?

Basically. Stewart loves trolling people about Spelljammer, bit Spelljammer elements do keep making their way into books.

Remove ads