D&D Movie/TV D&D 2 is possibility still

Ferrousbones

Artificer
5% may have been low. I had done the likely math a few weeks ago.

UK box office was 17m. Canada is reported as domestic, but we know that the USA dominates domestic because of the size of the nation, the size of the economy, etc.

12-15% is a more reasonable number
What do you think is a fair percent of the domestic for Canada? 20% or in the 12-15% range?

mamba

Legend
Of course, the absolute best-case is that everyone decides they had enough fun that the big names (Pine, Grant, Rodriguez) take industry standard for a 5-minute cameo that makes it into all the trailers, and Smith and Lillis get 90% of the screen time.
not sure I consider that to be anywhere near the best… I feel cheated when the actor that is all over the trailer is just a cameo

Also, as I said before, I would not mind different chars altogether. To me there is no need to bring any of them back.

Ferrousbones

Artificer
Ok, applying the 12% figure and accounting for the UK, as well as Paramount's (presumed) share of cost and box office:

$75 million production + $60 million marketing = $135 million cost
~ $93 million domestic box office x 12% (estimate of Canada quantity) = ~ $11 million
global box office minus UK quantity and Canada quantity = ~ $208 million - ~ $17 million and ~ $11 million = ~ $180 million
$180 million x 50% (presumed studio share) = $90 million
$135 million - $90 million = $45 million needed for Paramount to profit
With reasoned estimate of VOD views per day, and using Amazon's pricing (~3 weeks at $25 buy / $20 rent, followed by $20 buy / $6 rent), we could ballpark likelyhood of Paramount profiting.

Also, if Hasbro only contributed $75 million production and no marketing:

$17 million (UK box office) + $11 million (presumed Canada box office) = $28 million
$28 million x 50% (presumed studio share) = $14 million
$75 million - $14 million = $61 million needed for Hasbro to profit on HAT

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I think people are burning out on big, flashy movies that focus on how cool the movie looks. They assume that the more special effects there are, the less attention will be paid to actual plot and character. In many cases, they're right.

But my opinion, or yours for that matter, and $5 might buy me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
Yes.

The fireworks for 2 hours eventually numbs me to no longer being invested.

When I have sympathy for the character the big fight has tension and not just more visual overload. I am personally burned out. It’s not bad per se…I have just habituated to the big booms and flashing lights.

Seeing what a character does and feeling real tension if they are in trouble because I like them hits differently and is still effective

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Also, if Hasbro only contributed $75 million production and no marketing:

$17 million (UK box office) + $11 million (presumed Canada box office) = $28 million
$28 million x 50% (presumed studio share) = $14 million
$75 million - $14 million = $61 million needed for Hasbro to profit on HAT
Hasbro did light marketing, mentioned in their own Q1 report, but was unquantified. They said it would show on the Q2 report.

Also, they clearly weren't expecting a box office profit.

For Hasbro licensed movies are advertisements for their product line. This is why they're selling all but the licensed IP portions of eOne.

The evidence that the advertising worked is in the massive new interest in D&D over the last six months, greater than every other 5e event combined, including Critical Role

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Justice Smith (Simon's actor) has shone in his roles so far, and I wouldn't discount him as not being able to carry a sequel. Of course, the absolute best-case is that everyone decides they had enough fun that the big names (Pine, Grant, Rodriguez) take industry standard for a 5-minute cameo that makes it into all the trailers, and Smith and Lillis get 90% of the screen time. And Jarnathan comes back. And has a speaking role this time.
Wouldn't watch. Actor is fine, character is not strong.

Some times I imagine Hasbro acquiring some (unknown) monster-training franchise as Batlezoo(Roll for Combat), Animon(by Zak Barouh) or Monster Wrangler(Blackout Games), or some partnership for a videogame adaptation.

Really the characters weren't so bad, but a better development would need more time and the movie was too long.

This is not only about a HaT2 but more movies with different groups of characters, or even genre. What about the same cast to an one-shot movie of Dragonlance in the cinemas? Or a family-friendly fantasy comedy based in Witchlight or Stryxhaven.

But even with good ideas and a good work something is happening with the audience because now this is different, not so easy to be pleased like in the previous years. Maybe they stopped to go to the cinemas because it is too expensive comparing to streaming services.

* What about to reuse the same places for the future movie and the TV serie? And using deepfake tech to replace actors when the place of the filmation is too far. Maybe when it is only a short scene, for example etering within the castle.

Remove ads