D&D (2024) D&D 2024 Core Rulebooks: 'We'll Still Be Working On Them In May'

Reiterating that the accidentally announced May date was incorrect.

406472835_728869535942848_6745743928406323951_n.jpg

In a recent Unearthed Arcana video, Jeremy Crawford at WotC revealed that the new core rulebooks would definitely not be available in May of this year, as reported in the (withdrawn) infographics released by WotC on social media and at last year's Pax Unplugged 2023 panel.

I just want to confirm with you and as well with everyone watching this video - that is definitely not the release date. That was never the release date. In fact, we will still be working on the books in May.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
What I need to know is: A) are we seeing simultaneous or staggered releases? and B) Will there be a 3 book boxed set with FLGS covers?

For A, I would prefer to have simultaneous release, with a clear date, so I can budget now. I am a DM and would just prefer to get them all at once. If it is staggered, month by month would be ok, but the rumors of larger gaps between them would be a real momentum killer.

If the answer to B is "Yes" then I am likely to wait on said release to buy physical copies, but could see buying on DnDBeyond to have rules access when they drop.
From what they have previously stated, the three books will be staggered and a "collector" edition will came later, but won't be available upon release.

Potential multi-month release date creep. They finally did something with D&D that is actually "video-gamey." :p

Anyways, I am hardly surprised. Even without a headcount cut (and the subsequent chaos that entails), it just didn't seem like they were a half-year out from being ready for prime time.

They had 50 years to plan for this.
Y'know, if I thought more people were really invested in this being the 50th anniversary of the brand, I would say this was a big problem. I don't think that's the primary framing anymore.
As it stands, it's more the 10th anniversary of the version a bunch of the base now started with. Which is... still something, if you started out making a big deal about it. I don't know, I think it will end up being like the silver anniversary boxed set*, where it will succeed or fail based on what's in it, not because it represents a temporal milestone.
*Which, at the time, was pretty neat, in that it had been years since I'd seen Men and Magic or White Plume Mountain out in the wild.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The significance of this statement depends on what they mean by “working on,” and also what we mean by “the books.” We’ve known for some time that the releases would be staggered, so “working on the books” could mean final layout pass on the MM and DMG, while the PHB is being sent to the printers, for example.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
The significance of this statement depends on what they mean by “working on,” and also what we mean by “the books.” We’ve known for some time that the releases would be staggered, so “working on the books” could mean final layout pass o. the MM and DMG, while the PHB is being sent to the printers, for example.
even with this most charitable / optimistic interpretation that means we will not get the PHB before September / October and most likely not all three core books in 2024

Jer

Legend
Supporter
A) they said staggered some time ago, haven’t heard anything since
I don't know why, but up until I saw the "May 2024" date on the promo piece I just assumed that the PHB would be released in August, the MM a month or so after that, and then the DMG eventually.

The 3e release schedule was staggered with the PHB in august, the DMG in september, and the MM in October. For 5e it was the PHB in august, the MM in september/almost october, and the DMG was out by Christmas. I guess I've just been assuming another August release for the PHB with the other books coming along when they come.

Remove ads

Remove ads