D&D 3E/3.5 D&D 3.5 - Favorite Illusion spells, by level

Greenfield

Adventurer
This is a discussion thread where we can list (and argue about) our favorite spells, by school and level.

This one is dedicated to Illusion spells: What's your fave, and why?

Empirate

First Post
1. Color Spray - AoE save or die at first level? Levels well for a few levels, too? Sign me up!

2. Invisibility - the game changer.

3. Major Image - at this level this is the best you can get for versatility. Not as good as Silent Image for its level, but still awesome. Levels extremely well.

4. Shadow Conjuration - assuming you can fail the save voluntarily... otherwise, Greater Mirror Image for sheer DM frustrating power.

5. Shadow Evocation - you can now mimic the one school your illusionist banned fo sho.

6. Shadow Walk - yes, more shadow, give me more shadow spells! This is great not only for travel, but also for escaping a losing battle, or bringing an opponent with you, re-materialize, dismiss Shadow Walk.

7. Project Image - I wish I ever got a chance of using this spell, it sounds like two tons of fun in a one-ton barrel.

8. Greater Shadow Evocation - also known as the Illusionist's Contingency/Wall of Force.

9. Shades - for lack of better options. Can mimic the whole Conjuration school, not only certain subschools, so this is strictly a good spell. Doesn't hold a candle to other school's capstones, though.

EDIT: Huh. Just noted these are ALL in the PHB. So much for unbalancing power creep by way of too many supplements.

xigbar

Explorer
Ditto with Invisibilty and its ilk. I love stealth builds, and any non-casters without it, and the ability to see through it, are over in higher level play.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
0 Ghost Sound: A lot of possibilities.

1 Color Spray: Taste the rainbow!
Silent Image: Only limited by your creativity, can use to play "silent films"

2 Invisibility: Combos well with summoning; one of my DMs got us pretty good with that
Bladeweave: Very good for gish builds; swift to cast and one chance to daze a foe eery round when you hit them. Also looks flashy.

3 Major Image: Now movie night features "talkies".

4 Greater Invis: I play a lot of Rogues...
Rainbow Pattern: Lead one group of enemies right into another group of enemies or off a cliff.
Shadow Well: Poor man's Maze, and they come back scared.
Shadow Conj.: To mimic the level 2 Create Magic Tattoo w/o the 100 gp ink cost

5 Mirage Arcana: A Star Trek Holodeck or X-Men Danger Room.

6 Illusory Pit: It's freaking hilarious! And potent save or lose.
Mislead: It's actually saved my ass before.

7 Solipsism: I just love that it exists, the phisolophical concept / medical syndrome interest me.

8 Greater Shadow Evoc.: Illusionist's Contingency. It actually sucks for Wall of Force and the like, though.

9 Nothing I can think of that's really good.

Remove ads