[D&D 3.5] Pirates of the Broken Sea - OOC [recruiting open]

Orius

Adventurer
All right, I'm going to officially kick off a new campaign here. I'm looking for up to about 8 players.

As the title says, it's 3.5. However, my source for 3.5 is pretty much the SRD itself, my books are all 3.0. Also, I haven't DMed in something like 6 years now, so there might be some minor inconsistancies. In general, core material from the SRD will be allowed along with non-core material I specify. None of the variants from UA on the SRD site either, at least at the beginning, since I'm unfamiliar with those rules.

We will be using EN World's dice roller; no Invisible Castle, please.

Characters start at first level. Once we get into the campaign, new characters will start with an XP total based on the level of the party members.

Ability score generation
Player's choice of 4d6, rolled in this thread or Standard Point Buy. No rerolls on the 4d6 unless the character is really pathetic (like all penalties).

Character Race

The basic core races plus goblin, kobold, and orc.

And there are no drow PCs IMC. Ever. (Drow pirates might be interesting, but I'm not willing to bend this rule).

Classes
The basic core races except paladin (since piracy is basically unlawful). I am not opposed to psions (and only psions from the psionic classes), but keep in mind that I have no familiarity with the 3e psionics rules.

Monkeys and parrots are added to the choices for animal companions and familiars. As a familiar, monkeys give their master a +3 bonus to Tumbling checks. Parrots can speak 1 language like ravens and get a +3 to Appraise checks.

Prestige classes. The core PrCs will be allowed, and I will add a few PrCs from outside core eventually. Dread Pirate naturally will probably be one of the ones added.

Feats

Core and Divine SRD feats are allowed. Other allowed feats:

[sblock=feats]
Death Blow, Dirty Fighting, Dual Strike, Eagle Claw Attack, Extra Stunning, Feign Weakness, Fists of Iron, Lightning Fists, Monkey Grip, Off-Hand Parry, Pain Touch, Pin Shield, Power Lunge, Prone Attack, Shield Expert, Throw Anything, Zen Archery.

Arcane Defense, Arcane Preparation, Chain Spell, Cooperative Spell, Delay Spell, Energy Admixture, Extra Slot, Extra Spell, Innate Spell, Sanctum Spell, Scupt Spell, Spell Specialization, Split Ray, Twin Spell.

Alluring, Arterial Strike, Charlatan, Dash, Flick of the Wrist, Green Ear, Hamstring, Lingering Song, Multicultural, Obscure Lore, Pyro, Quicker Than the Eye, Requiem, Shadow, Snatch Weapon, Subsonics, Trustworthy.

Animal control, Animal Defense, Clever Wrestling, Destructive Rage, Divine Cleansing, Divine Resistance, divine shield, Empower Turning, Extended Rage, Extra Favored Enemy, Extra Smiting, Favored Critical, Greater Resiliency, Heighten Turning, Improved Swimming, Improved Toughness, Instantaneous Rage, Intimidating Rage, Quicken turning, Reach Spell, Resist Disease, Resist Poison, Resistance to Energy, Sacred Spell, Scent, Shield Charge, Speaking Wild Shape, Supernatural Blow.
[/sblock]

Alignment

No evil characters.

Gods. All clerics will need to choose a god, this is somewhat optional for other characters. Gods are also restricted by race.

[sblock=Human Deities]
Merina
Goddess of the sea, CG
Domains: Animal, Chaos, Good, Water
Weapon: Trident

Faris
God of winds and trade, CG
Domains: Air, Chaos, Good, Travel
Weapon: Quarterstaff

Kalibet
Goddess of luck, CN
Domains: Chaos, Luck, Trickery
Weapon: Dagger

Merina is the wife of Faris. They are both popular among sailors and merchants, and Merina gives leave to traders to travel across her seas using the winds of her husband. Kalibet is seen as a very flighty and unreliable goddess, but her followers still believe she will grant them good fortune.

These are the three most popular gods among the pirates of the Broken Sea. Other human gods include:

Armen
God of the sun, LG
Domains: Good, Law, Sun, Time
Weapon: Longsword

Nera
Goddess of the earth, NG
Domains: Earth, Good, Plant

Melora
Goddess of nature and the moon, N
Domains: Animal, Plant, Time
Weapon: Sickle

Arista
Goddess of white magic, LG
Domains: Good, Law, Magic, Protection

(note: Melora and Arista were orignally the other goddess in my homebrew, but I swapped them to avoid confusion from 4e players.)

Rendon
God of justice, LG
Domains: Good, Knowledge, Law, Protection
Weapon: Longsword

Korr
God of War, CN
Domains: Chaos, Strength, Storm, War
Weapon: Warhammer

Orius
God on magic and knowledge, N
Domains: Knowledge, Magic, Rune

Rania
Goddess of black magic, CE
Domains: Chaos, Charm, Magic, Trickery

Melia
Goddess of love, CG
Domains: Charm, Good, Healing, Protection
Weapon: Net

Asira
Goddess of Healing, NG
Domains: Good, Healing, Protection, Renewal

Paran
God of the forge, LN
Domains: Fire, Law, Earth
Weapon: Light hammer

Evil gods (not allowed for PC clerics):

Zult
God of death

Bane
God of tyranny

Roba
Goddess of disease

Armen is the creator of humans. His wife is Nera, the matron of agriculture. Their daughter is Melora. She is the wife of Orius, and their daughters are the goddesses of magic, Arista and Rania. Korr is the husband of Melia, and their children, Rendon, Asira, and Paran taught civilization to humans. Zult is the brother of Armen, and mockingly granted death to humans when Armen instructed the gods to give blessings to his creation. For this act, Korr who was the god of justice, banished him from the fellowship of the gods. In revenge, Zult created a spell that drove Korr mad, and he became a god of senseless violence. Rendon then took up his father's previous mantle as the guardian of justice. Zult tried to seduce Arista but she resisted him, and in time became the wife of Rendon. Rania however, was impressed by the spell that Zult placed on Korr and seduced him to learn his knowledge. From their union was born Roba, the foul goddess of disease.

Note: Rendon is a remarkably bad choice for this campaign, 'cause he's all about law and order. What's more, one of the pirates' biggest enemies is a theocracy run by clerics and paladins that's all about worshipping him, which gives the pirates even less reason to follow him.
[/sblock]

For non-human characters, the standard D&D humanoid gods will be used. We will use this document as the reference for domains, favored weapons, etc.:

http://www.wizards.com/rpga/downloads/LG_Deities.zip

One point, I don't have access to Complete Divine and other such splats, so stick with the domains from core. The domains from the Divine SRD are ok.

Equipment

Standard wealth. Though really, I don't pay too much attention to mundane stuff like packs, rope, 10 foot poles, etc. Just don't try to carry an entire gneral store around on your back. I will mostly just check just weapons, armor, and special items.

As part of the pirate crew, everyone starts with 1 pistol and enough powder and ammo for 20 shots. This is a bonus to your regular gear. Medium-sized pistols do 1d10 damage, have a crit multiplier of x3, a range increment of 50 ft, weigh 3lbs. and do Piercing damage. They are considered Simple weapons for members of the pirate crews.

Magic
All starting spells should be from the core rules only.

Identifying items: identify has the 3.5 casting time and such, but effects are 3.0: only identifies the item's most basic power. For full identification, analyze dweomer is needed. Cursed items play havok with identification; identify will not detect the curse, and misidentify the item instead. Analyze dweomer will properly detect all properties of cursed items. Cursed scrolls are particularly dangerous; some have the curse triggered by simply viewing the writing on the scroll.

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Signing in to this campaign! YEAH!!! PIRATES!!! Ok - I know some of the others already have an idea of what type of character they are playing, but I need a little more info. Your char gen states point buy as an option, but I didn't see the points listed? Is it 28 Point Buy? 32?

Kobold, Goblin and Orc as optional character races, and I see that one person already wants Goblin cleric. I am assuming that you are limiting the non core race selections to possibly only 1 of each at most?

I am thinking of a sorcerer possibility. I can play most classes, and will probably lean towards a rogue, barbarian or sorcerer. Perhaps I will throw up three options and see which one fits the best?

Voda Vosa

First Post
Definitely interested. Perhaps a human fighter? Feats galore is always neat. We are allowed to multiclas once we level up right? As for guns, how much would an additional pistol cost? Can we apply weapon specialization/ focus to it? Is it single handed? What's the reload time? How much extra powder and bullets cost? Am I asking too many question? Is this already annoying? ;P

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Ok - I am assuming that standard point buy is set to 25 points. Kobold Sorcerer sounds interesting as an option, yet the stats on him will be poor. -4 STR, +2 DEX, -2 CON to start with is steep, but still, interesting in its own way. I have been itching to play something out of the ordinary and more vulnerable than the normal core races.

Orius

Adventurer
Yes, Point Buy is at 25 points

We are allowed to multiclas once we level up right?

Yes. Just don't string tons of classes together to cherry pick 1st level benefits. Keep the multiclassing focused.

As for guns, how much would an additional pistol cost? Can we apply weapon specialization/ focus to it? Is it single handed? What's the reload time? How much extra powder and bullets cost?

I took the stats from the DMG, I'll have to look them up again later. Yes, it's a one-handed weapon, and you can apply feats like weapon specialization and focus to it. Reloading is a full-round action.

I was working on campaign information but stupid StickyKeys got turned on and I ended up wiping out out most of the text. I'm too mad to retype an hour and a half of work right now, so it'll have to wait until later. Worst. Windows. Feature. Ever.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Yes, Point Buy is at 25 points

Worst. Windows. Feature. Ever.

Too true.

On other matters, don't worry about the multiclassing. And, is there something like quick reload (the feat for crossbows) for the guns? Making it a move action? I want to make a "pistol fighter"

jackslate45

First Post
We have Psion, Sorcerer and Fighter?

I was thinking Rogue, but maybe another Fighter?

I hate sticky keys as well...

EDIT: Could go Cleric / Druid, depending on what other people want.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
I can still change mine as well, but kobold sorcerer has a nice ring to it for now. I thought someone was going with a Vikingish Barbarian? Rogue is always a good thing to have as well.

Lughart

First Post
Okay, I'm itching to make a goblin wizard, but if that leaves us without divine magic I might make a cleric instead.

I feel like rolling scores for once. Should I place my rolls in the RG (when you make one), or wherever and just link to them?

Last edited:

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Gah, I hate having the option to role, because it always entices me and then smacks me in the groin with a two by four. Observe.

Hmmm, not bad, the dice must be planning something nasty for later. I am assuming we are talking 4d6 drop the lowest so I'll place them thusly...

Str 13 Dex 18 Con 12 Int 16 Wis 15 Cha 15 (Halfling racial adjustments included)

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Could I get some instruction on how to use the EnWorld die roller? I was 'away' when it was introduced.

Also, a suggestion to the OP: It would help players if you could keep a running tally of the players and their class/race choices, just so the others can get an overview of what's being brought 'to the table'.

As for me... I thought it might be different to try a Goblin (Sea) Ranger who is also the ship's hunter... and cook.

If someone R-E-A-L-L-Y wants to be the Goblin, then I will pick a different race with the same shtick... probably Dwarf.

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Well I'll offer up my own limited understanding of the dice roller. To use the dice roller you need to submit your post and then look at the bottom right hand corner where you should see the dice roller tag, hit this and it takes you through to the roller itself. Once there there is a help link at the bottom of the page, but it should be fairly self explanatory from there in anycase. You should see all the available dice, type in the number of that dice you want rolled in the box next to the given die, e.g. 4 next to the d6. Then scroll down to the options where you can add a positive or negative modifier to your roll, or choose to drop the lowest die, etc.

Finally you can either save your roll, or roll it. Save rolls if you want to roll a number together such as for a full attack, etc., although you could easily just roll and hit the dice tag in the corner of your post aain for each roll you need.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I would like to play a halfling druid... I will get more in depth in a bit.

Question: 4d6 drop lowest roll, reroll 1's or..... just keep what we get?

Last edited:

Lughart

First Post
Wunderbar, goblin wizard for me then. I'll roll here and link to the post later.

EDIT: Apparently, the die roller doesn't drop the lowes roll for you, even if you ask it to.

EDIT nr.2: Is it really such a big problem to have two goblins?

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Hell, with everyone rolling stats, might as well try my luck. My luck seems to be on the extreme, but changes from high to low... so either I will get some great kobold out of this, or a sickly old dog....

EDIT - So, this is kinda out there...

STR 7
DEX 14
CON 13
INT 8
WIS 9
CHA 17

Yeah, this guy is already shaping up to be extreme on CHA and DEX, but worthless in everything else. Racial Modifiers added to above results on stats. Penalty on HP (due to CON), INT (means only 1 skill point per level), WIS (penalty to Will save) and STR (means he can carry VERY LITTLE with him). But, with that Dex and Cha, he can carry about his meager items with style and speed as well as being quick to not know much.

EDIT 2 - ok, changed some numbers and got a more balanced kobold now. Sorcerer should be interesting, as he's not as powerful as a wizard, but without having to lug around a book and things to write with for transferring spells, anything will help this guy out.

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
If Gobbos etc are supposed to be so rare, having two on a ship just seems... well, it takes the cool factor away from the Goblin, doesn't it?

Ed 1: NOICE! I approve... and it looks like the "drop lowest roll" is working correctly again.

Comin' up... one Dwarven Ranger/Cook.

Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
I am going to be a boring human...

Go Go Magic Dice /roll

Edit: And boring I am lol.

Edit 2: Although looking at it, could go Half-Orc Barbarian. Would be something like:

Half-Orc:
STR 15
DEX 13
CON 13
INT 10
WIS 11
CHA 5

Bascially the bodyguard of the group. So, the BSF! (will also be multiclassing Fighter to get more feats, as the guy is pretty feat starved at the beginning. Something like Barb 1 F2 Barb 2+)

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Identifying items: identify has the 3.5 casting time and such, but effects are 3.0: only identifies the item's most basic power. For full identification, analyze dweomer is needed. Cursed items play havok with identification; identify will not detect the curse, and misidentify the item instead. Analyze dweomer will properly detect all properties of cursed items. Cursed scrolls are particularly dangerous; some have the curse triggered by simply viewing the writing on the scroll.

So in essence, we won't be identifying anything until level 6 spells are available?

Orius

Adventurer
And, is there something like quick reload (the feat for crossbows) for the guns? Making it a move action? I want to make a "pistol fighter"

I'll allow Rapid Reload to apply to the guns, you can take the feat for guns individually like you do for the crossbows. And yes, any guns will be move action, reloading a pistol as a free action is a bit too fast.

Well I'll offer up my own limited understanding of the dice roller. To use the dice roller you need to submit your post and then look at the bottom right hand corner where you should see the dice roller tag, hit this and it takes you through to the roller itself. Once there there is a help link at the bottom of the page, but it should be fairly self explanatory from there in anycase. You should see all the available dice, type in the number of that dice you want rolled in the box next to the given die, e.g. 4 next to the d6. Then scroll down to the options where you can add a positive or negative modifier to your roll, or choose to drop the lowest die, etc.

Finally you can either save your roll, or roll it. Save rolls if you want to roll a number together such as for a full attack, etc., although you could easily just roll and hit the dice tag in the corner of your post aain for each roll you need.

That's about right, but some of the features are buggy. Be careful with the save funtion, I think it works, but the preview doesn't. So you can't see what rolls you have in the queue, which is why I tend to roll them 1 at a time. Also, the favorite roll funtion doesn't seem to work either.

Question: 4d6 drop lowest roll, reroll 1's or..... just keep what we get?

Yes, it's drop lowest, and you keep whatever 1s come up (I'm not that generous... :devil:).

If Gobbos etc are supposed to be so rare, having two on a ship just seems... well, it takes the cool factor away from the Goblin, doesn't it?

Goblins aren't really that rare in my campaign, and I don't see a big problem with the pirate crews being pretty diverse.

So in essence, we won't be identifying anything until level 6 spells are available?

Hmm, that's a good point. This rule will probably get tweaked. I feel that full identification with a 1st level spell is too powerful for the level, but you make a good point with wizards not being able to do much in the way of iding until at least level 11 (and longer for sorcs). I think maybe something like bonus + weakest addtional power for weapons/armor, and see how most basic power works for other items. Maybe alert the caster that there are other abilities.

Someone pointed out to me that Stormwrack has parrot familiars, so I'll go with that. Changed above. Monkey was adapted from Pathfinder.

Flavor for the pirates is kind of a mix of the classic pirate and Arabian corsairs.

So here's our party setup so far:

Code:
[u]Player                  PC[/u]
Aldern Foxglove          Halfling Psion
Only the Strong          Halfling Druid
Lughart                     Goblin Wizard
Fangor the Fierce       Kobold Sorcerer
Herobizkit                 Dwarf Ranger
jackslate45             Human ? or Orc Barbarian

I'll take two more PCs, then close recruitment. Fighters or clerics would probably be the best choice.

Since few people are playing any humans, I'm not going to worry about a lot of deep background. Most of the non-humans in this campaign are pretty typical for D&D. Also, since you're all part of the same pirate crew, you'll be starting on a pirate ship. So you don't have to worry about how you all met, and there's not going to be any cliched tavern scenes either.

The Broken Sea

Thousands of years ago, the Great Cataclysm struck, separating the continents of Eldra and Maldara. Where the two continents had been joined, there was now the Broken Sea, a narrow sea choked with many islands. Elves and dwarves were the first to rebuild their civilizations in Maldara, while human civilizations arose in Eldra.

Many centuries later, after the fall of elven civilization, a loose confederation of slaves who escaped bondage in Eldra migrated to Maldara. Some settled on the islands of the Broken Sea and became the Sea Tribes. While some became honest fisherfolk, sailors, and traders, others took the freedom of the seas to prey upon their former masters. Numerous pirates set up bases in the Broken Sea and preyed upon Balas and the Celestial Kingdom in Eldra. When the Zazir Empire arose in Maldara, some preyed upon them as well. Only the magocracy of Nivia remained relatively untouched, being well defended by the powerful wizards who ruled there. After the fall of the Zazir Empire, the theocracy of Darthus arose, and its paladins and clerics of Rendon declared a holy scourge upon the pirates, whom they counted among the wicked. The city of Alixus, home to many free spirits and rogues, eventually rebelled against Darthus, and the City of Thieves is the only true ally the pirates have on either continent.

Last edited:

An Advertisement

Advertisement4