• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D *3rd edition* novels

mmadsen

First Post
Has WotC published any good D&D novels (preferably FR or Greyhawk) based on 3rd edition rules?

Has anyone, anywhere, ever published any good novels based on Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk?

Then, of course, there's the question of how you can tell 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition rules from a novel.

The_Old_one

First Post
Greyhawk Novels

IMO the Justicar novels by Paul Kidd are excellent, if all you want is a lighthearted, but ultra violent romp around some of the most famous adventure locales of 1st edition. I just started Tomb of Horrors, and so far it seems to be promising- a rather spooky, edgy story based around the cult of a certain infamous God.

Iku Rex

Explorer
ninjajester said:
weren't the justicar novels by paul kidd based on 3e rules?
I've read those, and I think not.

I wasn't sure at first, but they have "expanding" fireballs and use a few other AD&D rules (I can't remember which at the moment) .

(Maybe Kidd wasn't very familiar with 3rd edition?)

ninjajester

First Post
i think the justicar novels are 3e, but paul kidd is taking liberties with the rules for artistic purposes. the justicar's a ranger, and he's knocking arrows and spears down with his sword. he can also fight bare handed with the best of them. escalla's a sorceror, and she casually mentions something about getting her wand recharged. all of those things seem to say 3e... but it's really not that important, i guess...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Perhaps he's a Ranger/Monk, then?

Yeah, there's some "transition" stuff floating about.

On the note of the Iconic Novels, I'm divided. D&D novels, on average, blow ancient Greek goats for $6 a pop. And they are accepted as "cannon" by too many DM's and players alike.

But, if the Iconic Novels have the Iconics with anything like the personalities described on this messageboard, I may have to pick them up for a good laugh, at the least.

So I'm affraid to purchase them, unless I can be assured that they're a bit less "bah" and a bit more "ale and whores".

Remove ads