• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D *3rd edition* novels

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
The thing with novels is that in the end, it doesn't really matter which edition's rules they are written under. Most of the "2nd edition" novels didn't adhere strictly to the 2nd edition rules anyway. There are lots of new Forgotten Realms novels that are coming out, though none of them are specifically "3rd edition".

There are also several Dragonlance novels in the works. Again, none of them are specifically "3rd edition".

After all... to the novel's characters, there is no such things as "rules". It doesn't matter to a thief that he is now called a "rogue". A cleric doesn't care whether he is casting spells from "spheres" or "domains". And a wizard tossing a fireball doesn't worry about which edition's rules he should be using.

Most of the novels exist independant of the rules. They are simply fantasy novels set in a familiar world, with the occasional reference to an aspect of D&D.

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
You are better off with any one of a number of good tales from the Story Hour forum.

Now that Morrus is hosting "compiled" Story Hours (see the front page) you could even print them out, if you wanted somethin' tangible to curl up with.

Check em out!

Wulf

Methinkus

First Post
There is the Return of the Archwizards trilogy, which explains how the Shades returned to FR and reading it gives you a good handle on what the shades are capable of and what they want, but to be honest I have to agree with Wulf; alot of the story hours here are more worth reading than what gets published.

There is one way to tell at a glance which FR novels are 2nd edition and which are 3rd, the label at the top that says Forgotten Realms is a paler brown and i think a little smaller.

Mialee

First Post
I don't think any of you will be disappointed with the book (by that I mean mine). Sure, we couldn't get a budget for new cover artwork, but it's a pretty solid story. Plus, who could resist cuddling up with a few hours of ME?

Remove ads