• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D&D 4e] IG's "The Witchlight Strand"

Shayuri

First Post
Voyage to the barbarians.

Aridha's ears pricked at that overheard snatch of conversation, and she looked casually over to see who had uttered it. It was a blessing she had heard it, with all the conversations buzzing in the room. Aridha had little love for human towns in general and for human taverns in particular. They were crowded in every sense of the word. Crowded with a press of people that blocked all lines of sight and jostled and groped as she passed. Crowded with noise loud enough to seem like a living thing unto itself, that screamed with profanity and laughter and looped overhead. Crowded with the thick smells of meat and fat and fire; of unwashed bodies and leather and metal.

She watched the dwarf and his drinking partner for a moment, then returned her gaze to the vista out the window. The lights of lanterns on poles through the streets, and the twilight-shrouded figures that wove their way between them on business or pleasure. And behind it all, the dancing madness of the witchlights. Her skin crawled even as she had to acknowledge their uncanny, unnatural splendor.

But she was just putting it off now...and there wasn't time.

Sourly the elf got to her feet; an incongruous figure even in this cosmopolitan environment. Slimly built, in the manner of her people, with skin slightly darkened by the sun and wearing hides too rough to be called 'leather' with any honesty...much of it still had fur on the outside; brown of bear, grey of wolf, dun of rabbit. The garb, both clothing and armor, had a patchwork look to it. Slightly longer on her left arm than her right, leaving her legs bare from the knees down, and here and there exposing a swatch of her own elven hide; a bit of shoulder, a glimpse of belly. From her hip dangled a quiver of rolled leather secured by a bone loop, full of arrows. From behind her shoulder jutted the curve of a bow. That, and a few pouches seemed to be all she had...perhaps all she had need for.

Vatan found his conversation muscled in on, as Aridha responded to the words he'd never intended for her to hear.

"The barbarians. Do you mean the subjects of King Lolgoff?"

Midgardsormr

First Post
the man nods, then says "I'm afraid you are not known to me stranger. Name's Jude, what are you and yer fellas doing round here? Ain't no trouble is there?"

Pier accepts Jude's hand and suppresses a wince at its firmness. "I am Pier, Harold the glassmaker's son. There was trouble a few hours gone, a ship from inland was overrun by goblins, and it crashed against the docks. Some outlanders aided me in the defense of the city, and now we have been given the task of representing Port Magalie as the barbarians choose their new king."

Pier pauses for a moment, attempting to gauge how this man might react to having his bluff called. He lowers his voice and leans forward. "If you will forgive me being so bold, I could not help but notice that you appear to be conversant with a sword. Although my companions have proven themselves worthy allies, none of them hail from the City; it would comfort me if there were another of my countrymen among us."

renau1g

First Post
Jude is initially taken aback by the perceptive man, his face grows dark as the man mentions the sword and his gaze grows distant, the thousand mile stare of someone relieving another time. "Aye, I can stick a blade into a man with the best of them, but I've seen far too much killing in my life to want to pick back up the weapon." the man says quietly, adding "Those days were a long time ago, today, I am Jude, a simple farmer, albeit not much of one." he sighs, taking a long drink of his ale.

Theroc

First Post
Sahyr's ears twitched as he sat at the bar, not saying a word, simply listening for words to draw his attention. The man's form was quite obviously ready for combat, the particularly large blade continuing to rest on his back as he looked around, in particular observing the group which a rather pretty woman, even adorned in pelts much like he had in his younger years before he'd acquired his armor.

The forests of the Witchlight were an unforgiving place, but also a place where one could grow strong and wise. Wise to avoid the dangers you could, and strong to slay the dangers you could not avoid. A slight smile remaining on his face as his eyes wandered between the group near the woman, who smelled of the forests more of the city, from what he could muster. He did not feel she had been long in this city, but he had not honed his sense of smell as well as he felt he should have. However, he was not here to stalk women.

He was here searching for battle. The acolyte of Kord had wandered the land, seeking news of battle, finding small skirmishes and the like, and his travels landed him in Port Magalie. The mention of barbarians had obviously grabbed his attention, since he had often heard of their warlike ways. He did not stir from his seat, though he was quiet obviously watching the group intently, his ears straining for more information.

Redrobes

First Post
Drůthruss nods in agreement with Vatan. "Aye... I mean yes, look at the hand. I'll burn my beard in the forge if that's not a sword arm.

Pssssteyesleftherecomesanelf...Helllooo, would you care for a...

ah...

Lolgoff ?

Yes. You met him - you interested in meeting him ?

Korash

First Post
Vatan will do a double take, then another one, after Drůthruss mentions the Elf wandering towards them.

In a very rusty Elven, Vatan will answer "Ahh...." then close his mouth and try again.... "Lolgoff...The barbarian king to the east? Aye, we be off to oversee the crowning of his ..... (looks towards Drůthruss) replacement?.....and mayhap a chance to bash a few scurvy Gobbo heads." He looks a bit embarased after that last. "'Scuse me language m'Lady"

Midgardsormr

First Post
"Those days were a long time ago, today, I am Jude, a simple farmer, albeit not much of one." he sighs, taking a long drink of his ale.

"I quite understand," Pier says. "I wish you many bountiful harvests.
Perhaps we shall meet again one day."

Pier takes his topped-off cup back to the table and sits down next to the dwarf once more, eyeing the elf cautiously.

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=DM]
Jude is planning to follow the PC's after a night of contemplation and internal struggles. He will join up with them on the road as they prepare to leave in the morning.
[/sblock]

Theroc

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
I forget, as I somewhat asked the party for opinions in the OOC thread but got no response. Does Sahyr know Elven or Goblin? I sorta need to know that to be able to post a reply which would have Sahyr join the group. [/sblock]

Listening to the other men, Sahyr rose to his full height as he departed his table, approaching the man. From the snippets he'd caught, it seemed these men hoped to be engaging in conflict soon.

"Bashing heads? Sounds like my kind of work. Do you need another blade?" He asked simply, grinning as he awaited a response, looking at the three gathered at the table. His hands were well clear of his blade, however.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads