• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D&D 4e] "The Startling"

SeaPainter

First Post
I'll add more to this later... but the basic idea is that the characters will start out as simple folk that are destined to save the world (not an original concept, I know, but it may be fun to play out)

We'll start out with 0-lvl characters.
22pt buy

Select a race, but no class
All WOTC and DDI 4e sources are authorized

Stats will be initially based on race.
Select a "Scales of War" background (Dragon #366)*
Background determines starting "Class Skills"

Also, you are encouraged to make up your own names for locations & starting communities.

Select 1 Feat*

Select 1 "Special Item"
-a weapon, shield, armor, cloak, boots, book, whatever...
-this will (eventually) be a legendary, intelligent item that the character inherits... it will evolve & advance as the character does.

[sblock=*]When you select background & feats, use common sense to select things that would apply to a "special", but unskilled person.

Some backgrounds may be applied as belonging to your characters parents (on a case-by-case basis).[/sblock]
When characters achieve XP for level 2, their class will be "assigned" based on a combination of:
-your choice
-the manner in which its RPed
-the role it plays in the party
-initial item selection

At that point you will make a 2nd level character based on your starter character, and the campaign will continue from there.

As far as character submission goes... all I'm looking for is a general idea of who the character will be, and its background. The world is a blank slate. We can hammer out most of the other details later.

Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Hmmm ... colour me interested. I've always wanted to try out a game like this, starting from nothing. And I really just want more 4e, haha.

I'll start cooking something up ... but it could really end up being anything, at this point ;) Maybe I'll play a human for once.

Also, a question: do you mean that we get our class assigned at level 1, or do you really mean 2nd level?

SeaPainter

First Post
Also, a question: do you mean that we get our class assigned at level 1, or do you really mean 2nd level?
When you achieve enough XP to reach 2nd level, your character will be able to be a {Your Random Class Here}2... the theory being that your experiences have prepared you to be a {Your Random Class}.

In a nutshell, when you have 1000XP you'll make a second level character based on your starting character. What you are will depend on the path your gameplay puts you on...

...also, if you have any special requests (such as an animal companion) let me know and we can work out the details.

Does that make sense?

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Alrighty, I got it. I was assuming we were going from level '0' to 1 to 2, not '0' to 2 ;) I guess in this case, level '0' basically means that we're a 1st level character, but without a class ... right?

This does make it easier for XP reasons though; we don't have to start at negative XP or something, haha.

Another curiosity question: what sources are you going to allow? Thinking specifically of the PHB2 here ... most of the new races don't really make great "ordinary" characters, if you catch my drift. Just wondering what your thoughts on them are for this game.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Intrigueing. Having run a similar start in 3.5 I'd be interested joining this. I only have phb 1 though since 4e isn't my main-game. I'm thinking maybe human or halfling for race.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
I have some interest in this as well . . .

Are all races in 4e allowed . . . are the ones in Forgotten Realms players guide and PHB II allowed as well? That would likely determine which race I would be going for :)

Keia

Shayuri

First Post
This sounds interesting. What do you anticipate being the general "pace" of advancement? 4e, especially at lower levels, tends to require a fair number of encounters to level...and each encounter in a PBP takes a looooong time. :)

That said, I have several ideas for characters.

I'd love to try a Deva, if PHB2 races are allowed. The multiple lives thing fits a character I've wanted to try in 4e for a long time.

Otherwise I have ideas for an elf or an eladrin...

hafrogman

Adventurer
Well, it looks like you've got more than plenty. But I'll throw my hat in as well, maybe you'll need an alternate at some point in the future.

I was thinking of a dwarven woodsman. A trapper and leather worker.

Something like:

Str 13
Con 16
Dex 8
Int 13
Wis 18
Cha 12
idea scrapped

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads