• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D&D 4e] "The Startling"

Insight

Adventurer
I'm interested in this as well. If you have PHB2 or access to it, I'd like to explore a class from there, but not a race, so I guess it can wait til our characters are ready to add a class. I'd like to play a Half-Elf. I'll post the background in brief later.

EDIT 1: Are we using the place names and other references in the Scales of War backgrounds or are we free to change those?

EDIT 2: I'm thinking of going with the "Prison Conversion" background. Sounds like fun!

Last edited:

Redclaw

First Post
I am definitely interested. I think I'd like to try this without a preconceived idea of my target class. I'm definitely hoping a Primal power source, however, and thinking of an elf. I think I'll go with the explorer/guide background from SoW, leaning toward the guide half. That gives me an extra language and nature skill, rather fitting with the elven/primal direction.

I'll build some background later today.

CaBaNa

First Post
I don't have my stuff on me right now, at work...

I'm interested and will have a full character concept before the end of the evening.

edit: would a multiclass feat be over the top?

Last edited:

SeaPainter

First Post
Sorry for the vagueness. I have a subscription to DDI & access to all the 4e books, so I'm open to all of those sources (especially the PHB2).

I'll make the additional changes to the main entries later...

...also halfrogman's proposal is what I'm looking for. Dwarven woodsman (for example), then a little background color for the character. You don't have to get to detailed yet, as long as you can demonstrate that you have an idea for later.

Hope that helps.

edit: I made the changes above...

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Question! The Scales of War backgrounds are aimed primarily at specific races, so a Deva (for example) doesn't quite fit any of them. Can we also use backgrounds listed in PHB 2?

Insight

Adventurer
Tanist Sheole is a half-elf wanderer and recently released from Black Hallow Tower in the city of Burgeon.

[sblock=background]Tanist was born and grew up in the elven sanctuary city of Hanis on the edge of the Gate of Arcadia. His father was the vizier to the elven precept and his mother was the exiled queen of a human kingdom not far from Hanis. The boy's upbringing was of the highest quality: book learning, tutors, music, art, poetry, but Hanist yearned for swordplay and adventure.

At the age of 19, Tanist left the elven city for the wilds beyond the sanctuary of his youth. He went out to explore the world, to see some of the places and meet some of the people he'd only read about.

Eventually, Tanist made his way to Burgeon, a human "free city" that, unbeknownst to Tanist, hated all non-humans and tended to put them in chains. The half-elf was put to work in the iron mines beneath Burgeon, where he worked for more than a year. When the opportunity presented itself, Tanist helped to organize a mini slave revolt.

Tanist's actions led him straight to Black Hallow Tower, a dungeon renowned for its hideous practices, including torture, malnourishment, and the tendency to leave dead prisoners lying around for weeks at a time. Tanist languished in Black Hallow for three years before members of the Order of the Silver Phoenix, a knightly order, made a plea for Tanist's release (as well as the release of others involved in the slave revolt).

Tanist joined the order as a squire to Sir Benevere the Raven-Haired, but tired of the mundane existence of a knight's second. After six months, Sir Benevere took Tanist back to the knight's lands, in Farrowdale, where Tanist now works on a wheat farm, pondering his next move.[/sblock]

[sblock=game mechanics]
Race: Half-Elf
* Benefits:
** +2 Con, +2 Charisma
** Size Medium
** Speed 6
** Low Light Vision
** Languages: Common, Elven, and choose (Draconic)
** Skill Bonuses: +2 Diplomacy, +2 Insight (these become class skills)
** Dilettante: At 1st level, choose an at-will power from another class and it becomes an encounter power.
** Dual Heritage: You can take feats specific to elves or humans
** Group Diplomacy: +1 racial bonus to all allies Diplomacy checks within 10 squares

Background: Prison Conversion
* Benefit: You add Streetwise to your class skill list and you gain a +3 bonus to Streetwise checks.

Ability Scores:
STR 13
CON 14
DEX 11
INT 15
WIS 8
CHA 18

Trained Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Insight, and Streetwise.

Feats: Bardic Dilettante [Multiclass], Group Insight

Powers:
* Majestic Word [Bard Encounter 1] 1/day.
* Wolf Pack Tactics [Warlord At-Will 1] as Encounter power
[/sblock]

[sblock=item]Upon his "official" retirement, Sir Benevere gave Tanist a longsword that had served him will in many battles. He told Tanist to care well for this sword, for it will take care of him in return.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Redclaw

First Post
Endrallen, Elven Guide (Proto-Druid?)

Born in a elven village that believed isolation was its best protection, Endrallen felt himself drawn to the outside world. At first that pull led him to explore further into the surrounding forest than most of his peers, which in turn had him discovering the human village of Oakhollow. There Endrallen observed the humans living a life different from his own. He was fascinated, and his connection with the forest allowed him to work as a guide for the humans, helping them when they entered the forest. As he spent more time in the wild, traveling between cultures, he found himself connecting with the natural world around him.

Str 9
Con 14
Dex 16
Int 10
Wis 18
Cha 12

Multiclass Feat: Initiate of the Old Faith, selecting Grasping Claws as an encounter power

Feat: Melee Training (Wis)

Skills: Nature, Athletics?

Special Item: Totem carved from the root of the oldest oak in the forest.

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
Quid and Proquo are two Deva's about to achieve their final transcendence, after being born over and again to protect the sacred woods just outside of Farrowdale.
Quid is a Shaman and her epic transcendence will come at the end of this life, causing her to leave the forest for good.
Proquo, an Invoker, has reached his final lifetime as well.
The two "Avengers of Rest", knowing that they must find some way to continue guarding the sacred wood, beget two children.

Caveat is one of those two children.
The spirit of the woods whispers the sacred name of the forest to Caveat and his sister when they are born, "Resting Spirit/Restless Spirit".

Caveat is trained by his parents, in what it means to be both a conduit of the spirits, and a punishment from the gods.
Upon his seventh cycle of seasons, his mother bestowed him her sash, and began teaching him the work of nurturing, healing, and protecting the forest.

On the other side of his sacred home lay a small Elven village, rarely had Caveat even seen a member of that village wander into his wood. Though his sister insists that a guide explores deep into their wooded home, leaving only foot prints and taking only that which sustains his own life. Even telling grandiose stories, like the Elder Oak allowing him to take a totem from his roots...

As a Forest Warden he has been charged to guard the woods and nurture the life therein. Occasionally clashing with a particularly zealous woodcutter, or careless adventurer. His sister, the silent hunter, has been charged with protecting and caring for those woods. Often mending broken bark, and tending to injured animals.

Caveat does not mind a Dwarven Woodsman, who cuts down specific trees, "this allows for life to bloom and the forest to continue it's healthy growth." Lectured his father Proquo

Protecting the forest for so long has created a bond between Caveat and the Spirit of the Wood. He could almost hear the spirit, or see the spirit walking with him, but as soon as Caveat notices, the sensation passes. Leaving him feeling as if the spirit of the wood were with him.

Before shedding their mortal coils to become mighty spirits and demigods, Caveat's parents told him that the path to Good, is by both caring and killing, nurturing and neglecting. The balance is what you, our children, need find.

Now Caveat and his sister are in their tenth cycle of seasons, and their first season of guarding the Restful Spirit/Restless Spirit forest.

[sblock=At a Glance]Caveat

Race: Deva
Scales of War Background: Forest Warden
Feat: Combat Medic
Item: Sash

Ability Scores
Str 10
Con 12
Dex 10
Int 16 +2 (deva) =18
Wis 16 +2 (deva =18
Cha 10
(costs wis 9 int 9 con 2 cha 2 = 22)

Skills
Background
+1 Nature, +1 Perception (able to train in both)
Race
+2 history, +2 Religion

I'm excited to try out the Shaman! However if the RP goes toward Invoker or Avenger I would be tickled to play either of those as well!
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads