Votes: 39 21.0%
  • No, and I did not buy 5e either

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 34 18.3%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This thread nicely captures the dilemma for WotC:

If it is too little I won't buy it. If it is too much I won't buy it.

I guess it always comes down to hitting the sweet spot. But will they?
On the other hand, the overwhelming favorite in the poll st the moment is "yes," and that's mostly sight unseen at this point, other than "it's going to follow Tasha'sand Monstersof the Multiverse".

Li Shenron

Legend
Poll question based on the Ray Winninger thread and statements within.

Do you plan on buying the 5.5e versions that are coming out for the 50th anniversary?

I tend towards not buying the anniversary edition and not DMing it either.

Let's say at the moment I have a 10% chance of buying the new core books, and 20-30% chance of allowing players to use those books in my game even if I don't buy them. It all depends on what they actually change, of course.

Things I am OK with:

• they add options, either character material that you can choose in place of something else (subclasses, feats, spells, variant class features)
  • they generalize some rules, like the one we already know about racial ability modifiers, meaning that there are essentially new possibilities, but the original 5.0 default still exists as an option within the new general rule
  • they modify narratives such as anything race- and alignment- related (because anyway these will be overwritten by any specific fantasy setting own defaults)
  • changes to DMG rules, because everything is still subject to "rule 0" which makes these rules always more like guidelines than strictly enforced
  • changes to monsters stats because IMO they are not that holy, and I anyway vary individual monsters by myself as I see fit

Things I am NOT OK with:

• free character buffs, which make the original 5.0 classes/races/backgrounds inferior
  • changes to PHB rules

Right now, I think they will largely do both the things I am not ok with, so I tend to think I will stick with running 5.0 indefinitely. Of course as a player I am not necessarily going to turn down a 5.5 game if I like the people I will be playing with, but I am not going to run it at least for now, and I will advise my players not to buy the books either.

If they only do the things I am ok with, or those I am not ok are done really only in very small amount, then I can make the switch. I do not however know if it would still be worth buying the books.

Aldarc

Legend
Maybe, but I'm skeptical that I will. It's less a matter of whether I consider the changes in 5.5e as an improvement over 5.0e or not; instead, I think it's more an issue of my personal time for gaming.

I have played a lot of 5e. It's fun. It's good. However, I haven't really been buying D&D 5e's latest products for the past few years as none of them have really interested me all that much. I'm also not sure if I want to fall down the rabbit hole of playing more 5e. I want to make a concerted effort to play other roleplaying games other than 5e D&D. I have a giant back catalogue of non-D&D games that I have been dying to run/play: Vaesen, Blades in the Dark, The One Ring 2e, WWN, Stonetop, Paleomythic, etc.

No, I won't buy it. I'm having fun with 5E, so I am currently doing it right.

If I buy the 5.5E books as the DM of our group, I pretty much force all players to also buy at least the new 5.5E PHB. Since some bought their copies of the PHB quite recently, I don't think we will convert to 5.5E.

Also, I probably cannot be bothered to read through all those new books to find the differences. Seems like a waste of time.

Yaarel

He Mage
Depends on peoples reception to them and what's in them.

If they get a ton of praise and people love them, then I'll get them. If it's just piles of complaints, then I guess I'm sticking with 5e (or pathfinder 2e if I can convince my group to move).
Heh kinda my attitude for a new version of a computer operating system.

I am enthusiastic about "50e". I will get it.

akr71

Hero
At this point, I have no plans to buy any further WotC books. I have been pretty unimpressed by their offerings lately. I think LevelUp & MCDM are putting out more interesting material and attempting more interesting game design.

I reserve the right to change my mind and buy Greyhawk and/or Dragonlance for purely nostalgia reasons.

Remove ads