• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D 5e death and consequences?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Can you make a character in 10 min sure, should you probably not.

I build my characters, I think about what feats they will take long before I ever get one to spend, I look for exploits and loopholes, I try to optimize for whatever thing my character is going to shine in. Rolling up a character 10 min, building one easy an hour or more. Then you get into the backstory and interpersonal connections to other PC's and existing NPC's. If you are a religious character pouring through the beliefs of the deities in the world that grant your desired domain. If multiclassing is part of the build things just got more complicated and you need to make sure you meet the ability score requirements, and start to think about when you should take those levels and what class is first, the one with the higher starting h.p, the one that gives more skills, the one that gives the best armor?

So yeah just winging it picking a race, class, background, rolling some stats can make a character on paper but not one I would want to play in a campaign.

The fact that you do the bolded part, but then more importantly say you do all the mechanical optimization before you even think about the backstory, personality,and role-playing elements of your characters explains why we disagree on just about everything.

for example, I am quite literally the opposite. When I create a PC, I envision what they look like, how they act, and what general schtick they do. then I look at what class/background combo fits that archetype the best. I don't do any optimization or looking for loopholes at all. The role-playing during the game is far more important to me than making sure I squeaked every little +1 possible.

Paraxis

Explorer
The fact that you do the bolded part, but then more importantly say you do all the mechanical optimization before you even think about the backstory, personality,and role-playing elements of your characters explains why we disagree on just about everything.

for example, I am quite literally the opposite. When I create a PC, I envision what they look like, how they act, and what general schtick they do. then I look at what class/background combo fits that archetype the best. I don't do any optimization or looking for loopholes at all. The role-playing during the game is far more important to me than making sure I squeaked every little +1 possible.

Cool.

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned

I have to have both. If I have to bend a concept too much to fit the optimisation of the character or if I have to make mechanically poor choices to fit the concept, then I tend to not to play the character. At the same time, though, I try to strike a satisfying balance between both ideals and will make small concessions in order to make a workable and enjoyable character. In this way I tend to find that a character will evolve throughout the creation process. For me, making a character tends to take weeks, not minutes but that's not due to the requirements of the system, merely my anal-retentive requirements for perfect balance.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I have to have both. If I have to bend a concept too much to fit the optimisation of the character or if I have to make mechanically poor choices to fit the concept, then I tend to not to play the character. At the same time, though, I try to strike a satisfying balance between both ideals and will make small concessions in order to make a workable and enjoyable character. In this way I tend to find that a character will evolve throughout the creation process. For me, making a character tends to take weeks, not minutes but that's not due to the requirements of the system, merely my anal-retentive requirements for perfect balance.

This middle ground. I want a good PC from both a roleplaying perspective, and an ability perspective. The PC does not have to be super optimized, but it does have to have some good options. And the PC has to be interesting, not a cookie cutter standard PC of the class/race.

And it takes me a while too, but usually only a few days, not weeks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads