• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [D&D 5e] Planescape - In Through the Out Door

Quickleaf

Legend
OOC: Quick question [MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION]: I'm trying to visualize the scene and struggling.

Is the scene currently that all the PCs are on the tavern stairs (or thereabouts) fighting a single mezzoloth (the same one Graydon greased and Lorelei zappified)?

And meanwhile down below the awesomesauce NPCs are fighting the arcanaloth trying to get thru the portal?

Unsung

First Post
OOC: For the most part, everyone who said they were going to leave the bar last turn has reached the top of the stairs (for simplicity's sake, you're all at or near the top until it becomes important otherwise), while the mezzoloth is a little ways down the hall, having just teleported in. There are a couple of NPCs (refugees from Torch) on the other side of the mezzoloth from the ones you fought downstairs.

The stairs are probably a little under 5 feet wide, while the hall is a bit over that. Everything past the mezzoloth is covered in Graydon's grease spell.

If anyone wants to tell me their PC stayed behind at this point, that's okay too. I can adjust. :p

And all told, the NPCs downstairs probably wouldn't strike Shandrizar as all that awesome, but the planes do not always scale to your level (and the party is all different levels anyway). ;) From the sounds of things, there's more than just the arcanoloth trying to make its way through. Shandrizar would know that all fiends can teleport without error. And the ones you saw trying to come through the portal in that first round probably weren't the only ones in the area...

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Unsung said:
There are a couple of NPCs (refugees from Torch) on the other side of the mezzoloth from you; this is a new and different mezzoloth from you.

OOC: Thanks for the description. Wait. So there's two mezzoloths? Sorry, still not clear. The first part of that sentence is the way I understood things - greased mezzoloth in hallway between us and the 2 NPCs (lizard man in tricorn hat & other one).

But then the next part of that sentence "this is a new and different mezzoloth from you" I don't understand. If there are in fact multiple mezzoloths, could you describe their locations?

Unsung

First Post
OOC: That was just some kind of weird typo. There's only one the one upstairs right now, it's just a different one from the ones you already saw downstairs, going by the shape it's in.

[section]Picayune blinked in surprise and fear. Another monster. These things were fierce. And they were everywhere. Where the deuce had this one come from?

A word he'd heard Mamie mutter under hear breath came burbling unbidden from his throat, and he sang it out. "Fury fiah!"[/section]
OOC: Casting faerie fire at the mezzoloth, which will need to make a Dexterity save DC 12

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Rusty stands on the stairs, confused. Everything was far too chaotic and overwhelming for its still very simple mind.

OOC: I'm back and I figured this should explain Rusty's inactivity for the last little while. :)

Unsung

First Post
OOC: No problem, Kira. Getting to the top of the stairs was how most of the party spent their last turn. :)

Hallway mezzoloth: 7 force damage (one hit) from Lili's eldritch blast; Dexterity saving throw against Pic's faerie fire with advantage (Magic Resistance) - [roll0], [roll1]; current hp 67/81.

The monster rocks slightly as it is pelted by the pixie's surprisingly forceful magical barrage. It glares witheringly in the fey creature's direction.

Unsung

First Post
The glow of magic seems to refuse to settle on the thing's glistening carapace, but Picayune saw it, it was there-- before it flowed away down its sides like oily runoff-- much like the sea of grease, like Vaseline, that that Grayon kid had hurled into the hall.

The creature gets haltingly to its feet, leaning on its polearm for support. It struggles to move a few paces closer to the party and swings viciously at them with its long, gnarly-looking weapon, thankfully not close enough to bring its claws to bear.

OOC: The yugoloth saves successfully against faerie fire, thanks to its magic resistance.

Hallway mezzoloth- Stands up, moves to within reach weapon range of Shard (difficult terrain). Action: Attacks Shard with polearm - [roll0] vs AC, [roll1] piercing damage on a hit. End of Turn: Dexterity saving throw against grease - [roll2].

Initiative countdown:

Under the current circumstances, we can probably just consider this the start of a new round. All the PCs will get another turn before the mezzoloth can act again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads