• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [D&D 5E] Securing the Alliance: An Adventure in Tethyr (FULL)

Olrox17

Hero
This looks interesting! I like the forgotten realms, especially pre spellplague. I'll submit a character in 24 hours tops. Probably a fighter with a scout / mercenary background. Or maybe a light cleric.

Olrox17

Hero
Went for a ranged fighter with scout/nature oriented skills. Here's Corilo:

STATS:
[sblock]
Corilo
Neutral Good Human Fighter 4
Background: Folk Hero

Str 10
Dex 18
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 15
Cha 8

HP 36
AC 15 (leather)
Prof Bonus +2
Init +4

Race
-------
Human
- +1 to Dex and Wis
- Bonus Feat: Crossbow Expert
- Bonus Skill proficiency: Stealth

Class
-------
Fighter
- Fighting Style (Archery)
- Second Wind
- Combat Superiority (4d8, Maneuvers: Precision Attack, Trip Attack, Parry)
- Student of War (Smith's Tools)

Proficiencies
--------------
Weapons: Simple, Martial
Armor: All
Tools: Woodcarver’s Tools, Smith’s Tools, Vehicles (land)
Saves: Constitution, Strenght

Feats
------
1 Crossbow Expert
4 Attribute Boost (Dexterity)

Skills
-------
Acrobatics +6
Perception +4
Survival +4
Animal Handling +4
Stealth +6

Languages
----------
Common, Halfling

Equipment
-------------
Money: 10gp

Weapons
--------

Light Crossbow
Longbow
2 martial weapons
20 bolts
20 arrows

Armor
------
Leather Armor

Others
-----
Woodcarver’s tools, shovel, iron pot, common clothes, explorer’s pack.
[/sblock]

Background coming soon. EDIT: background added.

BACKGROUND

[sblock]
Corilo was born a son of farmers sometime during the year 1357 in Tethyr. Those were troubled times in Tethyr, as war ravaged the land and left very little for the common people. Famine and plagues ran rampant, while haughty nobles only cared about their disputes.

Near the end of the war, the losing side was getting more and more desperate, and with desperation came utter ruthlessness. Corilo, among many others children, was forcefully conscripted in Yusuf Jhannivvar’s army, forced to fight or die.

An army sergeant put a crossbow in young Corilo’s hands, and told him to kill as many people as possible. The war had turned into guerrilla warfare, and to the army child soldiers were just meat shields. They expected them to all die.

Most of them did die, but Corilo survived that hell. He proved to be a very good shot, and guerrilla warfare seemed to came natural to him. At the end of the war, Corilo was able to return home to his parents. He was in shambles, both mentally and physically. Going back to is normal life was the only thing he wanted…

Or so he thought. He tried to leave war behind, but apparently war was unable to leave him. Something inside of him had changed on the battlefield, and he was unable to enjoy the peaceful life a young farmer. Something irrational inside of him longed for the battlefield.

At the age of 16, Corilo joined Gorstan’s Riders, a mercenary band entirely composed of elite horse archers and mounted crossbowmen. Already a great shooter, Corilo learned a lot in his years with Gorstan and his men.

This came to an abrupt end in 1376. Gorstan’s Riders were involved in a local conflict between rival powers in Chessenta. The mercenary band was ambushed by a force superior in numbers, and a bloody battle ensued.

The mercs repelled the attackers, but at a heavy cost: three quarters of the band, plus Gorstan himself, lay dead at the end of the battle. With no strong leadership, the band fell apart in hours. Once again, Corilo returned home sad and exhausted. At least, his pockets were full this time.

Corilo swore to himself never to get involved in war again. A curious offer reached him a few months after his return, though. The famed Shadow Stars, for some reason, offered him membership.

His common sense was telling him to refuse, but something inside of him, a dangerous feeling of excitement, led him to accept.

Ideal: People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
Bond: If you mistreat or enslave a child, you are my enemy.
Flaw: I enjoy battle far more than I should.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Gnorth had already attempted to explain to the barkeep what he wanted, a simple request really, three times. Mordain's Own Blood, a dwarven stout created in Earthheart by the Thunderbarrel brewers, though Gnorth suspected the recipe ahd been handed down to the brewmaster by Moradin himself, such was the quality. Gnorth had sampled the brand on route to Tethyr through Waterdeep by route of the Trade and had found the dark chocolate undertones to be particularly present this time of year, a reminder of a vintage brought to him by his father as a gift after his first raid. Gnorth smiled at that memory, one of the few displays of affection the surly orc had ever shown to the scrawny half-orc dreamer.

"Stop smiling and just tell me what you want." demanded the unrighteously exasperated bartender.

Gnorth sighed. Clearly this human did not quite understand Gnorth's predicament. While trained in the arcane arts and being fluent no less than two languages (two more than most of this clientel, Gnorth snorted to himself), the half orc knew that the Orc tongue being his primary form of communication would provide something of a barrier to this transaction, as this barkeep insisted on speaking in the common tongue. Interesting that humans by and large consider orcs and their half breeds to be of sub average intellect, yet often cannot bother themselves to use their "clearly" superior minds to learn any language outside of that which was spoken in their own homes, despite the fact that his own personal hero, an orog by the name of Shield of Innocence was venerated as a saint by many in this country, all which Gnorth found to be a glaring hypocric-Gnorth stopped himself. This line of thought never helped.

"I want to drink the dwarf god's blood by the noisy barrel from the dwarf's stone heart." Gnorth stated, slowly to make sure the barkeep could follow. He pointed to his weapon, a dwarven piece picked up through the spine of the world for his assistance a few years ago against a yeti incursion, for reference. "Also from dwarf, but from dwarf spine."

Immediately, the bartender became pale and began to tremble. Drat, Gnorth thought to himself, what had he said incorrectly this time? A rough hand landed on his shoulder at that moment and he found himself being spun around in his chair to face a trio of angry looking dwarves, whose fine crafted weapons were in their hands.

"We got a problem?" Asked what was apparently the leader (Gnorth assumed the position was held by the loudest and most innecbriated of the three). Gnorth took a second to consider the words before laughing.

"Yes! Barman not have dwarf god's blood on tap!"

Apparently the dwarves did not understand his plight either, as they gripped their weapons. Gnorth sighed and pulled out his weapon, making a mental note to ask his companions of the Shadow stars to further help him with his communication skills, certain that he was not going to be having any sort of drink this night.

Gnorth
Chaotic Good Half Orc Bard 4
Background: Outlander (Tribal Maurader)

Str 16
Dex 12
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 8
Cha 16 (+2 at 4th level)

HP 31
AC 12 (leather)
Prof Bonus +2
Init +1 (+2 if you follow that Jack of All Trades applies to Initiative)

Race
-------
Half Orc
- +2 to Str and +1 to Con
- Darkvision 60 ft
- Menacing (Prof in Intimidate)
- Relentless Endurance
- Savage Attacks

Class
-------
Bard
- Spellcasting
- Bardic Inspiration (d6)
- Jack of All Trades
- Song of Rest
- Bard College (War)
- Expertise: (Arcana and Persuasion)

Proficiencies
--------------
Weapons: Simple, Martial
Armor: Light, Medium, and Shields
Tools: Drum, Dulcimer, Lute, Horn
Saves: Dexterity and Charisma

Skills
-------
Arcana +5
Athletics +5
Intimidate +5
Performance +5
Persuasion +7
Survival +1

Spells
-------

Known Cantrips
-Vicious Mockery
-Minor Illusion
-Friends (Looking for replacement)

Known 1st level
-Dissonant Whispers
-Sleep
-Heroism
-Healing Word

Known 2nd Level
-Invisibility
-Shatter
-Lesser Restoration

Languages
----------
Common, Orc, Dwarf
Equipment
-------------
Money: 10gp

Weapons
--------

Longsword
Dagger
Staff

Armor
------
Leather Armor

Others
-----
Entertainer's Pack, Drum, Hunting Trap, a set of Traveler's Clothes, Fingerbones/claw of a bear kept in a leather pouch crafted from the surly thing's hide, and a Belt Pouch

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]: Looks like a pretty fun warlock. As far as the Gauntlets... you may or may not get them and they may or may not come with a catch. Comments on your character sheet:
[sblock=Inamar Character Sheet]
AC: With Mage Armor, I think she would be at 16 (13+3 DEX). Do note that the spell specifically indicates it cannot be cast while armored and ends if armor is donned, even if it would result in a worse AC.
Initiative: Should be +3
Languages: Given your pact, I'm good with Infernal
Spell Save DC: Should be 14[/sblock]

Forged Fury

First Post
[MENTION=88649]perrinmiller[/MENTION] Nice detailed backstory, thanks for the read.
[sblock=Alicia Tien Character Sheet Comments]
Looks pretty solid.
- It's probably the character sheet builder, but you would probably be using the finesse properties for both the rapier and dagger, which would result in a +6 to attack with each of them.[/sblock]

Forged Fury

First Post
[MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION]: Fun character, lot of different capabilities.
[sblock=Dorn Greycape Character Sheet]
Passive Perception should be 13
Skills: Perception should be +3
Skills: Just a note, you listed Persuasion as a background skill, but it doesn't appear on either the Sailor or Urchin list. It isn't a big deal since I don't really have much of a problem with custom backgrounds. You could just as easily say you chose Stealth or Sleight of Hand and replaced them with Persuasion since you have those from other sources.
Weapon Attacks: I go with the restrictive reading of the Archery Fighting Style. You get the +2 to attack when using the weapons listed in either the Simple Ranged Weapons or Martial Ranged Weapons tables on p. 149 of the PHB, which excludes the dagger.[/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
WORK IN PROGRESS- "Singing Leaf"

(Mostly done; still needs detailed equipment list, and to have class abilities copied in. SHOULD BE IN GOOD ENOUGH SHPE TO BE REVIEWED):

"Singing Leaf"
>Her real name, in Sylvan, is "Rustling song of the leaves stirred by the first breeze at an autumn sunrise", she commonly goes by 'Singing leaf' in Elven or 'Singer' in Common

Half-elf, female, CG
Druid 1/Bard 3 (Lore)
Background: Outlander (child of the Feywild)

[sblock= CRUNCH]
STR 8 (-1)
CON 13 (+1)
DEX 14 (+2)
INT 13 (+1; save +3)
WIS 14 (+2, save +4)
CHA 16 (+3)

HP: 27 (8+1+5+1+5+1+5+1)
AC: 13 (11/leather, +2 DEX)
Speed: 30 feet
INIT: +3
Proficiency: +2
>Combat: by spell (carries no weapons)

Proficient skills: Acrobatics +4, Arcana +3, Athletics +1, Investigation +3, Medicine +3, Performance +5, Stealth +4, Survival +4
Expert skills: Nature +5, Perception +6
(Note: Jack of all trades adds +1 to all ability checks that don't already add proficiency bonus)

Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan, Primordial, Druidic
Tools: Herbalism kit, Musical instrument (Lute); Musical instrument (Flute)
Feats/ASI: (none yet; next is Keen Mind)

Druid cantrips known: Druidcraft, Magic stone
Druid spells prepared (typically): Speak with animals, Healing word, Goodberry
Druid attacks: +4 or DC 12

Bard cantrips known: Prestidigitation, Vicious mockery
Bard spells known: Detect Magic, Identify, Sleep, Comprehend languages, Locate object, Cloud of daggers (pixie swarm)
Bard attacks: +5 or DC 13

>Spell slots: 4 (level 1); 3 (level 2)

>Racial abilities (half-elf):

>Background abilities (Outlander):

>Class abilities (Druid):

>Class abilities (Bard):
-College of Lore (bonus skills; Cutting words)
[/sblock]

[sblock= Background/History/Description]
>Capsule background: 'Singing Leaf', as she is commonly known, was born in the Winterglen Forest on the island of Gwynneth in the Moonshaes (or more accurately, in the Feywild that abuts that location in Toril). Her mother was a Llewyrr elf, a solitary druid who tended an isolated grove; her father was human (or mostly so), an itinerant bard of the Ffolk who visited the grove (and spent far more time there than he expected).

Singing Leaf was born in the Feywild, and she spent much of her childhood there. She was named by an Awakened oak tree who was one of her mother's closest friends; through the years many of her friends, teachers, and babysitters were sentient plants or animals that lived in the Feywild, or in the fey-touched forest groves. As one might expect, Singing Leaf grew up with a strong love for nature and the natural world, both of the Toril and of the Feywild; she easily learned the lore needed to become a druidic initiate. She also inherited her father's musical gifts, particularly as a singer. More interestingly, though, (and far rarer) she also seemed to have a natural, albeit uncontrolled, ability to cross between the Realms and the Feywild. Even where the veil between worlds was strong, she could pass between them easily (and often without even realizing that she had done so).

Over the years, her mother grew more distant and, well, Weirder... The darker denizens of the Feywild, and their chaotic and corrupting energies, began to intrude upon the isolated groves in several places throughout the Winterglen. Even with the assistance of Singing Leaf and all of her other allies, the struggle began to take its toll on the elven druid. Singing Leaf, meanwhile, had learned of the ancient elven art of SpellSinging, and began to devote much of her free time to further research- she even began to travel further and further from the grove (both in the Feywild and in the Moonshaes); her mother hardly seemed to notice her growing absences.

One day, Singing Leaf returned from one of her longest voyages (to Caer Callidyrr on the island of Alaron) to find the grove deserted and quiet- and somehow very wrong. Almost without realizing it, she stepped into the neighboring Feywild- and into madness. A large detachment of the darker fey were massing there, for a push into the Realms- one of many points in a larger incursion; the chaotic energies had warped the entire area around them. Desperate to escape, Singing Leaf tried to flee out of the Feywild- and for the first time she could remember, the journey was not a smooth or quick one; instead of stepping sideways, it felt as if she was falling through rain-soaked darkness, for HOURS. When she finally emerged onto Toril, she was someplace else, someplace unfamiliar. In fact, she was deep within the Wealdath, the Forest of Tethyr, near the ancient elven necropolis of Myth Rhynn. Frightened and alone, she was found by scouts of the Elmanesse tribe and brought to one of their villages. When she explained the events that had led to her arrival in their territory, the sages and seers replied that they had felt disturbing echoes of the troubles in the Moonshaes, and they counseled her against returning (even if she could have). Singing Leaf sheltered with the elves of the Wealdath for a time. In time, though, her wanderlust and curiousity led herAway from tribal lands, and into contact with other inhabitants of the forest, and with a number of travlers through the area. Some of those folk were members of a company called the Shadow Stars- and they were quite unlike anyone that Singing Leaf had met before. At first she dealt with them only occasionally, but after a while she was officially inducted as a member of the company- even then, though, she spent much of her time on her own business...

>Description: Singing Leaf is fairly short, wth a slender build; she stands just barely 5 feet tall, and weighs about 100 lbs. She has the coppery skin of the Llewyrr elves, and long wavy black hair which is typically worn loose. Her eyes are pale green. She typically dresses in clothing of leather and furs; while she carries a satchel over one shoulder and a cased lute, she does not appear to carry any kind of real weapon- she has a small utility knife with a blade of chipped stone, but nothing more obviously dangerous...

>Personality:
-Trait: As a matter of fact, I WAS raised by wolves (or, more accurately, by the sentient and speaking beasts and plants of the Feywild)
-Trait: I am far more comfortable around animals (or simply out in nature) than I am around (most) people, or surrounded by the so-called 'comforts' of civilization.
-Ideal: (Free thinking) Inquiry and curiousity are the pillars of progress.
-Bond: An injury to the unspoiled wilderness of my home (or, really, any forest) is an injury to me.
-Flaw: I am far too naive and trusting, especially with those that I believe are my friends.

>Possessions of note: Leather armor, Druidic focus, Bardic focus (lute), herbalism kit, healer's kit

Wishlist: Bag of holding, Instrument of the bards, Charisma item?
[/sblock]

[sblock= Design notes]
> Singing Leaf is designed as a support character, with a broad range of skills and abilities, but she isn't very useful in straight-up combat, and she is certainly not focused as a healer either. She may add some abilities through advancement, but will never be focused on fighting. I was toying with some Fey Warlock, but we seem to have plenty of warlock submissions, so my thought was that she is a bit too savvy to enter into bargains with the fey; I was also considering Knowledge cleric, but again, it seems as if we have plenty of clerics. She could be reworked with Wizard instead of Druid, if that would fit the group better. The 'travel into the Feywild' ability in her background is intended solely as 'color'/plot device- it is nothing she can access by conscious choice (though it may appear in some of her future spell selection). She is planning for Keen Mind as her first feet, but her 2nd would be Ritual Caster. Any Fluttershy notes are, obviously, entirely coincidental...
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
[MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION]: Good read. If you get picked, we can iron out the background. Although I am totally tempted to have her as yet another one of your possibly planar travelling PCs, LOL.

[sblock=Meadowlark's Character Sheet]
Looks good, no issues[/sblock]

Forged Fury

First Post
[MENTION=6801397]Olrox17[/MENTION] Nice background, I appreciated that you incorporated some of the specific items of history into the character.

[sblock=Corilo's Character Sheet]
Everything looks pretty good to me.
- I'm rolling with Common being the universal language. Chondathans just speak it with a different accent. Feel free to choose a different language if you'd like.
- Just curious, I know you were taking the equipment granted the fighter, but are you planning primarily on longbow or crossbow?[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Looks like a pretty fun warlock. As far as the Gauntlets... you may or may not get them and they may or may not come with a catch. Comments on your character sheet:

Thanks! That's my hope. :) Note that I have adjusted so as not to be dependent on the gauntlets to be effective. The pact weapon can be freely changed on the fly, so it's a simple matter to adjust if the opportunity arises.

Sheet's been fixed. Copied here for convenience.

[sblock]Inamar
Chaotic Good Human Warlock 4
Background: Urchin
- City Secrets

Str 8
Dex 16
Con 12
Int 10
Wis 13
Cha 18

HP 27
AC 13 (16 w/mage armor)
Prof Bonus +2
Init +3
Exp: 0

Race
-------
Human
- +1 to Cha and Dex
- Bonus Feat
- Bonus Skill proficiency

Class
-------
Warlock
- Otherworldly Patron (Fiend)
* - Dark One's Blessing (Gain 8 THP on killing hostile creature)
- Pact Magic
- Invocations
* - Agonizing Blast (+chamod to Eldritch Blast damage)
* - Armor of Shadows (Mage Armor at will)
- Pact Boon
* - Pact of the Blade

Proficiencies
--------------
Weapons: Simple
Armor: Light
Tools: Thief's Tools, Disguise Kit
Saves: Wisdom, Charisma, Dexterity

Feats
------
1 Resilient (Dexterity)
4 Attribute Boost (Charisma)