D&D 5E [D&D 5E] Tattered Memories: An Adventure in Tethyr (COMPLETE)

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: Oh man...

Greycastle frowned more deeply and shook his head. "By chance, did you consider asking me... or really anyone... about whether the only people dying were humans before jumping into a pyre pit and picking through the remains of our former neighbors? Several non-humans have died so far, including Janelle's elven bar maid."

Looking over to Old Pete and Morris, Greycastle said, "You can go now, thanks for keeping such a sharp watch. I'll handle Lawkeeper Brue." The men shrugged after a moment and departed, continuing their patrol.

Once the two guards had vacated the area, Greycastle reached down to help Brue out of the pit. He noticeably stared at her hand holding the... hand. Reading his facil expression, the genasi figured out that he wanted her to drop the hand before climbing out.

[section]Brue hung her head and toed a bit of ash in the pit. She dropped the dead hand, frowning at the ring, then accepted Greycastle's help out of the pit. Once she joined him atop the lip, Brue busied herself brushing ash off her garments. It cost her something to do so, but she made herself look at Greycastle in the eye. "You're right, of course. I'm sorry. I should have knocked a second time on Boddynock's door. Or come back later when he wasn't unavailable."

Uncomfortable, Brue shifted her weight from one foot to the other. The pouch filled with larger metal bands jangled audibly.[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
Shaking his head, Greycastle said, "Don't worry about it too much, just aim for discretion in the future. One of the reasons I asked you to do this was because you were an unknown quantity. But if you make the folk who are living here more nervous than they already are, I'm not sure you're going to be able to get much done. I'm sure those two are going to go flapping their gums about this to whoever they can find."

Pointing south with his head, the man continued, "Come on, let's head back to the Mossy Nymph. The report I got this morning said that Vials was up pretty much all night burning bodies. We had a lot of dead yesterday... maybe you can catch him later this afternoon when he's awake. Maybe you can tell me what you've found out so far."

Heading back to the Nymph in silence, the two entered the common room. This room was mostly empty, whether that was due to the time or the plague, Brue couldn't be sure. Janelle was busy behind the bar arranging mugs and getting things in order. Looking up as the two walked in, she smiled and said, "Good morn'! Care for a drink?"

[section]Brue followed Greycastle to the Mossy Nymph. When they got inside, Brue shook her head no to the offer of a drink, but asked for a heel of bread if one could be spared. Brue sat down across from Greycastle at a table, and plunked her pouch on the table's wooden boards. She took out one of the metal bands and showed it to the Lawkeeper. "I found this in the fire pit inside the woodsmens' shanty. There are eleven more like it." She let Greycastle examine it, then continued. "Last night I asked Captain Holt if he would approve a mission to the Wealdath to collect Fairy Cap mushrooms. He said no." When Greycastle looked perplexed, Brue backtracked. "Boddynock told me he thought he had a cure in the mushrooms, but he's run out. Used his last one doing tests. He sketched a map showing where they grow in the forest and gave me another sketch of what they look like. Captain Holt said no one was to leave the quarantine, though he'd consider sending some of his own men 'in a few days' if I gave him the map and the sketch. I pointed out that the townfolk're dying at a rapid clip and a few days would mean more lives, but to no avail."

Brue paused. "I've run out of leads for the time being. That's why I was down in the burn pit this morning, I was looking for clues. Anything, really. I'll do as you suggest, and go see Boddynock this afternoon."[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
While Brue was relaying what she had discovered during her investigation, Janelle returned with two wooden tankards filled with water and a heel of hard day-old bread. Greycastle listened intently to her explanation, considering deeply. At the conclusion, he paused to pray briefly over the bread and water Janelle had brought to the table.

"Aye, Vials did ask me about the mushrooms, but the situation is the same then as now. We can't leave and Holt isn't willing to risk not having enough men to maintain the quarantine. He's putting the safety of Tethyr above our own, but it's to be expected from one of the Queen's officers."

Taking hold of the slim band, he examined it closely. "Looks like average work at best, but I don't know what relevance it has to your investigation." Idly, Greycastle tapped the band against his tankard. Brue watched it for a second before she registered what she was seeing. The metal band Greycastle held was a near match to the pair of bands that held the wooden tankards together at top and bottom.

[sblock]
wooden-beer-mug-9680053.jpg
[/sblock]

[section]Brue stared. Hard. The answer welled up in her throat but it didn't make sense; she'd drunk both some ale and some water last night, and she wasn't sick. "Has the ale been contaminated and we don't know it?" Her eyes flicked up to Greycastle. She picked up one of the metal bands and held it out flat on her palm. "There were a set of these, twelve all told, in the shanty. Everything'd been burned. Including eating and drinking utensils? Is the ale causing people to get sick?" Her eyes widened. "Or worse. The well. The drinking water. Is it poisoned, somehow?" [/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
Greycastle grew a grave look. "Could be, but let's not be too hasty. You may be onto something though, perhaps a word with Janelle may shed some light on the situation."

Rising from the table, he said, "I need to go meet up with the morning guard shift. Spend some time this morning chasing down those leads and meet me back at my house around noon."

[section]Brue nodded her agreement at Greycastle. When he left, she went over to Janelle. "What can I help you with for the next hour or so? I've questions, and thought you might have answers. Maybe we could talk while we work?" [/section]

Remove ads