D&D 5E D&D 5th Edition Will Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

recon35

Villager
So six pages in and the OP hasn't responded to the constructive responses to his/her post, which indicates trolling, but the responders are the ones threatened with sanctions? Looks like his/her mission was accomplished.

Sacrosanct

Legend
As they say in church: Amen!
My sentiments exactly. 5e is here to stay at my table. I very much play and enjoy other games, including PF, but 5e is going to be the default system for all my D&D campaigns.

And to show how and why my comment wasn't hyperbole, until 5e came out, my group was still regularly playing 1e as our edition of choice, and we would have continued to do so if 5e never came along. So I wasn't being hyperbolic when I said I could play 5e for the rest of my gaming days. I played 1e for over 30 years, and let's be honest. At my age now? If I play 5e for just as long, I'll be happy to live that long and be cognizant enough to game ;)

So six pages in and the OP hasn't responded to the constructive responses to his/her post, which indicates trolling, but the responders are the ones threatened with sanctions? Looks like his/her mission was accomplished.
Well... the OP also said in the original post he went to the Paizo boards, trolled, and never went back. So trolling was pretty probable regardless of the absence or presence of future posts.

And to show how and why my comment wasn't hyperbole, until 5e came out, my group was still regularly playing 1e as our edition of choice, and we would have continued to do so if 5e never came along. So I wasn't being hyperbolic when I said I could play 5e for the rest of my gaming days. I played 1e for over 30 years, and let's be honest. At my age now? If I play 5e for just as long, I'll be happy to live that long and be cognizant enough to game ;)
I could very well and happily play 5e for the foreseeable future as well*. I'm tired of the edition churn and 5e seems like a nice solid game that's balanced and hackable. And it's simple enough that I could totally use it to introduce my son to gaming in 4-7 years.
If D&D closed up shop and the RPG industry imploded, I could carry on playing with few complications. More products/adventures and the continued existence of the game are just icing.

* Excluding mini-campaigns and one-shots.

These boards, particularly this forum, have some of the finest under-the-bridge-dwellers you may come across, slicing the cheese just enough so as not to evoke the moderator's ire; it boils down to:

'5th Ed is a marvellously imbalanced game, a really fantastic piece of retro-crap, I have never enjoyed such utter garbage.'

It is a childish, sleazy, transparent attempt to undermine 5th Ed.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Personally I'd love to see a sub-forum for complaints.

I disagree. Dissent is a good thing. Dissent spurs conversation. Dissent adds energy to the subject. Dissent is usually the catalyst for change, for improvement...for Evolution and Revolution.

If everybody always agreed, what would be the point? What would we have to talk about?

However, BAD dissent serves no constructive purpose. Bad dissent is simply expressing opinion with no support or example. Statements meant only to stir up contention, not debate, are not good dissent. Dissent based only on "I don't like X, so therefore it must go away/fail/etc." are not good dissent.

Trolling is also an example of bad dissent.

For serial trolling, I've found that the ignore list is the best antidote. I do dislike using it though. Even those that are in complete opposition to what I believe or value may still, occasionally, contribute something I find useful.

Currently I have nobody on my ignore list. I am however, finding myself currently contemplating doing so.

(So that there's no misunderstanding, my current contemplation is NOT about JRedmond. My disagreement with his proposal is a non-contentious one. I find his proposal worthy of consideration, though my position is to not create a separate forum.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Huh. I go away for a day and this happens.

We used to have a policy that when anybody invited or challenged us to ban them, we did so automatically without even reading the post or asking why. Maybe we should bring it back?

That said, the OP states that he delibeately trolled the Paizo forums, and describes how, and then does the exact same thing here. if you admit you're a troll, I'm inclined to take you at your word. I suspect he's off laughing at us on some other forum somewhere, but I don't really care.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads