• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) D&D 6th edition - What do you want to see?

Actually now that I think about it....

I'd like to see some things that are written up as spells become more class traits. There are way too many spellcasters for my liking in 5e.

I'd like hunters mark to be a skill that all rangers can do.

I'd like detect magic and counterspell a skill that all wizards can do (requiring a roll, not automatic) to differentiate with other spellcasters.

I'd like hex to be a skill that all warlocks can do.

I'd like guidance to be a skill that all clerics can do (this is a cantrip, but really just for flavour I'd like it as an ability of theirs).

Have i missed anything? Probably, but the sentiment is there...

Actually now that I think about it....

I'd like to see some things that are written up as spells become more class traits. There are way too many spellcasters for my liking in 5e.

I'd like hunters mark to be a skill that all rangers can do.

I'd like detect magic and counterspell a skill that all wizards can do (requiring a roll, not automatic) to differentiate with other spellcasters.

I'd like hex to be a skill that all warlocks can do.

I'd like guidance to be a skill that all clerics can do (this is a cantrip, but really just for flavour I'd like it as an ability of theirs).

Have i missed anything? Probably, but the sentiment is there...
I'm not sure what you mean by this. You say you want to turn these spells into features because there are too many casters, but then you mention features for classes that pretty definitely still should be casters in any future game. Like, I definitely get turning hunter's mark into a feature and making the ranger a non-caster by default. All for it, in fact. But the wizard? Detect magic and counterspell or no, wizards are still going to be spellcasters, right?

And if they are casters, it makes sense to me that any supernatural action they can perform should just be a part of that preexisting system rather than stand apart from it. Cleaner and simpler design that way. So if anything, I'd go the other direction: make turn undead and wild shape and the like into spells. If we want one of these spells to define and differentiate a class, we can (a) give it to the class automatically and say it's always prepared and/or (b) give them class features that make them better at casting the spell than others. See the necromancer's Undead Thralls feature for an existing example of this.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Multiclassing looks like a bit of a trap in many cases...
It can be a trap, need not be.
Tier 1, multiclassing can seem good - until the rest of your party hits 3rd, then 4th, then 5th and you get further and further behind the power curve.
Tier 2, you can start doing some multiclassing and be on-par with straight classed characters as long as you follow some easy rules (don't leave behind ASIs, get 5th level power bump, etc.)
Tier 3-4 you can make characters that are a lot weaker to a measurable amount stronger.

Mechanically, it is a trap if you are, for example, forced to use "old school" even splitting of XP. It completely hamstrings the character, especially at lower level. I can't really believe that anyone who suggests it has run multiple characters using that alongside straight classed characters for levels 1-10 where most play happens because it does not make viable characters with most combinations of classes.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
On a broader scale, I generally make basic races chooseable but if you want something exotic (e.g. a Gnome in this example) you have to roll on a chart and be prepared to play whatever you get even if it's nothing close to what you had in mind.

I'm glad that works at your table. I know a player who would love an random exotic race roll as long as there were some real oddities on it. Personally it would get in the way of fun for me - "no gnomes" is fine, but "you might have to play something you don't want to" is a non-starter.

I'm glad that works at your table. I know a player who would love an random exotic race roll as long as there were some real oddities on it. Personally it would get in the way of fun for me - "no gnomes" is fine, but "you might have to play something you don't want to" is a non-starter.
Well, it's just like when you play with 3d6 in order: some of your characters are mysteriously clumsy when on clifftops, ships at sea, and bridges over alligator-infested swamps.

BigBadDM

Explorer
Personally I would do the following:

Get rid of multi classing. (why have the option of a fighter/mage or eldritch knight, same with rogue/mage,etc)
- multi-classing was great when their were only 4-6 cores classes, now it is a min/max tool.

Does a Paladin and Ranger really need to be its own core class? Can't they just fall in under fighter as archetypes. Back to the old school again.

Get rid of the sorcerer or merge it with the warlock. (the idea of a warlock with meta magic is pretty good).
- honestly a 1e illusionist was light years ahead of the current sorcerer. Otherwise make some sorcerer only spells.

Bard - needs a slight nerf with spells known and remove expertise. If you weren't allowed to change 2 spells every level, spells known would't need a nerf. But basically a bard always has the best spells in the game. It is arguably the best caster as is (spell poaching, huge known spells, armor, d8 HD, inspiration, social skills). The idea is jack of all trades, but really it is a master at Magic and Skills.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It can be a trap, need not be.
Tier 1, multiclassing can seem good
Generally speaking yeh that is the definition ... when it can be hard to do right... but can look good even when it really isnt where as someone who might better know what they doing it wont be as much.

On the issue of racial stat boosts: There is an obvious functional use for the stats, as a way to bump up your purchased stats (using that as a baseline) to a level that provides the overall balance desired for character creation. That is, you get your 27 points, plus another 3 points in stats (usually). Thus it doesn't seem unreasonable to unlock stats from races, and just give a free +2/+1 at the end of stat selection.

However there are two problems with that:
  1. There are a few races where the non-stat bonuses are such that +2/+1 isn't appropriate. This includes both types of humans (+1 to two stats, and +1 to all), mountain dwarves (+2 to two stats), and tritons (+1 to three stats).
  2. While not immediately obvious, it seems that there is no race (that I can find) that increases both Str and Dex. You can use the human race to get +1 to each, but there's no race that will give you +2 to one of them and also +1 to the other. This appears to be a deliberate balance choice to avoid an obvious best choice race for combat.
Those two points make it difficult to make a rule to allow players to pick any two stats they want to boost, because there will be a strong preference to go for some combination of Str and Dex. Adding "exceptions" to rules (ie: "Choose +2 in one stat and +1 in another, but you cannot take a combination of Str and Dex") is generally looked down on, and it draws attention to something you wanted to avoid in the first place.

Even if you split the stats up in categories (eg: one physical, one mental), you end up with "Choose your primary combat stat plus Wisdom, because Wisdom is your most important mental saving throw" kind of advice. It also means you can't get Str+Con races, like half-orcs and goliaths. And as you continue to try to refine it, you run into more and more of these conundrums.

So by attaching the bonus to the race, they can prevent certain undesired combinations from appearing, while also giving a varied appeal to the races. Yes, you still get certain races being better for certain jobs, which helps encourage a bit more variety in race choice, as the secondary aspects of race choices (skills, spells, etc) have a much weaker effect on choice.

From an abstract sense, I'd prefer the Ancestry / Culture / Background / Class splitup in construction, but I can see why it doesn't always match up with how people actually make choices in character creation. The current Race/Subrace option is basically a merged Ancestry/Culture construction in order to deliberately limit players' choices, which can, ultimately, be beneficial.

In addition, it can be difficult to separate out a lot of the subrace benefits into culture benefits. For example, Sunlight Sensitivity and Superior Darkvision for dark elves is more intrinsic than cultural... probably. I guess if you lived underground all your life, you might develop those traits. Hmm.

Having said all that, I could see a somewhat more esoteric way to achieve this end. It still singles out Str and Dex, but isn't quite as troublesome in terms of how it is constructed.
You have 4 points you can spent to further raise stats, by +1 per point. You may not add more than 2 points to any given stat. If you choose to raise Str or Dex, you must spend 1 extra point for the amount you gain (ie: spend 2 points to get +1, or spend 3 points to get +2).

In addition to the above, you may spend one of your stat points to instead buy an extra skill proficiency.
This would allow getting either Str or Dex, but not both (since it would cost 5 points to get +2/+1 in the both of them). Also, if you choose to only get stats other than those two, you can also get a skill proficiency (since it would cost just 3 points to get +2/+1 in non-Str/Dex stats), which may be desirable to some people.

That would increase character design flexibility without being too much more of a hassle. Maybe.

Remove ads