D&D (2024) D&D 6th edition - What do you want to see?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'd be perfectly happy if 6e abandoned XP altogether and stuck with some sort of milestone system. I never liked the tedious math aspect.
I see it as just part of the job, and an absolutely essential one. Individual per-encounter xp are a hard-coded fact of life in my games and always will be, for a bunch of reasons I've gone into at length in other threads here over the years.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Your arithmetic is off.

Critical failure (1/d20) is 5%; corruption (1/d6) is about 17% of that; so the overall odds of corruption are slightly below 1% per spell cast. (put another way, your decimal point is probably 2 places left of where it should be).

I know these odds well, as our melee fumble chance uses exactly the same sequence - 1/d20 followed by 1/d6 - and has for over 35 years.

My notation was off, yes, 0.83333% odds. And most of the Corruptions are more role-playing complications than threats.

S'mon

Legend
I see it as just part of the job, and an absolutely essential one. Individual per-encounter xp are a hard-coded fact of life in my games and always will be, for a bunch of reasons I've gone into at length in other threads here over the years.

I like XP, but I've gone over to a scale of ca 20 XP/level, rather than thousands or hundreds of thousands.

Remove ads