D&D (2024) D&D 6th edition - What do you want to see?

Nebulous

Legend
I imagine it is still 5 years off, give or take, but WotC is probably doing the groundwork now, and considering how they might want to change their flagship game. I do like 5e, but I want some more granularity in the rules, and I want them really listen to the community.

1. Better book presentation. It's hard to find what you need in the PHB aside from the spells. I love the artwork, that's not the issue, but proper labeling of chapters and information, which PF does better. And any book by Monte Cook.

2. A skill system that is fun. And more defined rules that takes away some of the guesswork.

3. Monsters that are tougher out of the box, with appropriate skills themselves, that don't need houserules to be challenging

4. And please, for God's sake, fix the ranger. At this point I'm advocating kill that sacred cow, break up ALL of a Ranger's abilities and and make it some kind of archetype that can be layered in pieces over any class, so you could even have a thief/ranger or cleric/ranger.

What else would you like to see?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I don't think there's a need to go up an edition. I could see a revised Player's Handbook a few years down the line that changes some of the character creation rules, maybe adds some new options, but the characters themselves run on the same underlying math. So an original fighter and a new fighter are different, but can be played at the same table because they have the same general range of attack modifiers, damage, and HP.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I doubt they are even laying the groundwork at this point, since sales are continuing to be astronomical.

That being said, if I could dictate the next edition:

1. Make it backwards compatible with 5E rules: a %e adventure could be run in 6E, and a 5E PC can walk up to a 6E table without any issues. So no major system or process changes per se, but make the changes on the exceptions based parts of the game, so:

2. Make every Class choose the Subclass at Level 1. Allows for more variety in the design space, and people already plan their character around their archetype anyways.

3. Remove Feats and 3E style multiclassing, but use the ASI slots for soemthing like the Pathfinder 2 Archetype system, so the player can choose a multiclass archetype or a thematic archetype like "pirate" or "knight of the realm."

4. Design the Ranger around favored terrain as the Subclass: Highlander Rangers from the Mountains, Steppe Nomad Rangers fro mthe Grasslands, Robin Hood Rangers from the Forrest, Moody Dark Elf Rangers fro mthe Underdark, etc. Give it some actual flavor.

5. Bring the Artificer and Psion into the PHB

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I'd like to see classes have more decision points for features. As right now once you've picked your subclass there isn't a lot of choice upon level up. It would be interesting if upon leveling you had a choice between a handful of features to take to differentiate builds within a class further.

Other than that everything I want could probably easily be patched into 5e. An arcane half caster (the last artificer looked really good for this), Genasi that didn't suck, a feat to grant additional reactions now that we have some subclasses that can use them in interesting ways.

Remove ads