D&D (2024) D&D 6th edition - What do you want to see?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh yes! If we could choose to have spells or pets or some mix of the two instead of the expectation that rangers must have both, that would be far better.

So, imagine this:

A Subclass based around terrain, giving distinct abilities as appropriate: this could be easily 8-10 different archetypes.

Variant Features for Martial versus Magic versus Beastmaster.

24-30 basic varieties just for Ranger, not too shabby for design space and play.

Horwath

Legend
I would like it if they fixed HP bloat, but the only mandatory fix in a new edition is for healing.

It's ridiculous that anyone can survive taking twenty solid arrow hits, but it's insane that the wounds are gone after a nap.

Remember HPs are an abstract thing.

You aren't really hit until you get below 25% or 0.
Anything else is just dodge, parry, glance or just dumb luck.

But I agree, there could be less HP in total. Or MOAR DAMAGE!
:LOL:

Nebulous

Legend
Just increasing the font size of the index and getting rid of every single entry that references another entry instead of just putting a page number on it, making the goddamn page numbers in the book readably dark instead of light enough that you can't see 'em in dim lighting, and putting a sort of "you are here" down the side of every page (like in PF2e) would pretty well fix this, IMHO.

That would greatly help the layout problems.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Anybody else noticed that no WotC product has had an Index at since 2014? I think indexes, like Beastmasters, might be dead letters in the future.

Nebulous

Legend
Remember HPs are an abstract thing.

You aren't really hit until you get below 25% or 0.
Anything else is just dodge, parry, glance or just dumb luck.

But I agree, there could be less HP in total. Or MOAR DAMAGE!
:LOL:

I've noticed that third party monster manuals like Tome of Beasts MASSIVELY upgrade monster damage and secondary effects.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
A philosophy of "If its your thing, you should be doing it all the time, not just X per day."

It's kind of lackluster to be a low level Battlemaster, Monk, or whatever and have to sit on your stockpile of resources for an encounter because you have to save them for the entire day.

Kind of like how they adopted cantrips for casters because spellcasters are supposed to cast spells.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I would like it if they fixed HP bloat, but the only mandatory fix in a new edition is for healing.

It's ridiculous that anyone can survive taking twenty solid arrow hits, but it's insane that the wounds are gone after a nap.

For my table I describe damage differently for PCs vs NPCs. For PCs it's always close but not severe - they reduce terrible damage to just a scratch or a bruise. That is until the last hit that takes them to 0 HP. That attack got through their guard and caused a bad injury.

For monsters and NPCs the damage from the PCs nearly always hits and causes damage. That's because I want to give visceral feedback for their attacks. And these monsters generally will not gain the benefit of a rest and come back fighting the next day :)

What I don't like is the popping up from 0 HP and getting stuck right back in. So I'd hope they'd come up with something a bit more crunchy there. I know there's a risk of a death-spiral - so it would need to avoid that.

Remove ads