D&D (2024) D&D 6th edition - What do you want to see?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I think a lot of the problem people have with the ranger is that the game is built around three equal pillars, and those players don’t spend much time in the exploration pillar so the ranger looks weak by comparison.

I think it is more that people don't spend time in overland travel.

Zardnaar

Legend
1. Evolution not revolution.

2. Tweaked classes, clean them up slight buffs and nerfs.

3. Tweaked feats, buffs and nerfs

4. Lower the CR on a lot if critters that are to easy.

5. Tweaked spells.

6. 2024 give or take a year.

I think in two or three years I'll be getting sick of 5E.

I think a lot of the problem people have with the ranger is that the game is built around three equal pillars, and those players don’t spend much time in the exploration pillar so the ranger looks weak by comparison.
The other pillars are really built around one character taking control of the situation, while everyone else sits back and waits for them to finish. While the fighter is running the obstacle course up to the lever to open the door, the other three players are just sitting back and waiting for them to finish. Combat is the one pillar where everyone is participating at the same time. From a time-management perspective, it's more efficient in terms of letting people play, if you spend more time in combat.

Not to mention, the particular way that the ranger's mastery works is that it lets you breeze through most of the overland survival stuff with a minimum fuss. They're so good at what they do that it takes very little table time for them to do it. You spend more time doing overland stuff if you don't have a ranger to trivialize it.

Raith5

Adventurer
Eventually I would like to see a 6e.

I would like to see more opportunities to customize characters from the start. A feat at first level would be a good start.

I also dont like the trade off between ASIs and feats. Basically, more feats - just not pathfinder level of more feats.

I would like to see race matter more a high levels by making some racial features unlock with level or by via feats.

More combat options for martial PCs.

I think monsters could be a bit tougher and have a few more options

I would like to see more work and attention placed on high level play (13th level+).

anahata

Villager
I imagine it is still 5 years off, give or take, but WotC is probably doing the groundwork now, and considering how they might want to change their flagship game. I do like 5e, but I want some more granularity in the rules, and I want them really listen to the community.

1. Better book presentation. It's hard to find what you need in the PHB aside from the spells. I love the artwork, that's not the issue, but proper labeling of chapters and information, which PF does better. And any book by Monte Cook.

2. A skill system that is fun. And more defined rules that takes away some of the guesswork.

3. Monsters that are tougher out of the box, with appropriate skills themselves, that don't need houserules to be challenging

4. And please, for God's sake, fix the ranger. At this point I'm advocating kill that sacred cow, break up ALL of a Ranger's abilities and and make it some kind of archetype that can be layered in pieces over any class, so you could even have a thief/ranger or cleric/ranger.

What else would you like to see?

More guidance for the DM. What does Intimidate do in combat? How am I supposed to handle magic items? How does a transmuter wizard's transmutation ability actually work? How can a character craft a normal nonmagical weapon? All those "use your judgement / discretion" sections in the DMG need to go. They don't help anyone, especially new DMs. There are so many holes in the rules that I've found running just the starter module that I've determined 5e to be unuseable. I seriously don't understand how people actually play 5e given how many holes there are in the rules.

Last edited:

I would like the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons idea. Keep 5e as core and release option books. If there just has to be a new edition, hopefully it will be 100% backwards compatible. I feel like this is where PF2e drop the ball but I understand them wanting their own game.

5e has drawn in a lot of casual players who may not understand the need for new editions. WotC would need to navigate that very carefully in my opinion. Maybe revise the books kinda like 2e did. Throw the hardcore folks an Advanced Players Handbook and an Advanced Dungeon Masters book. Some folks are just gonna want something "new" though. Right now if they came out with a 6e (or even in a few years) I wouldn't bite on it. I've invested heavily into this edition and I'd just stick with it. Honestly this will probably be the last edition I invest in.

Nebulous

Legend
I would like the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons idea. Keep 5e as core and release option books. If there just has to be a new edition, hopefully it will be 100% backwards compatible. I feel like this is where PF2e drop the ball but I understand them wanting their own game.

5e has drawn in a lot of casual players who may not understand the need for new editions. WotC would need to navigate that very carefully in my opinion. Maybe revise the books kinda like 2e did. Throw the hardcore folks an Advanced Players Handbook and an Advanced Dungeon Masters book. Some folks are just gonna want something "new" though. Right now if they came out with a 6e (or even in a few years) I wouldn't bite on it. I've invested heavily into this edition and I'd just stick with it. Honestly this will probably be the last edition I invest in.

I totally agree with what many of you say about an AD&D 5.5e. but that would really be handled best by a 6e overhaul in the next 5 years. WotC WILL upgrade to 6th edition eventually, and 5e is probably halfway through its lifespan

I wish they'd put out modular option books to change the current rules. I do.

Remove ads