D&D (2024) D&D 6th edition - What do you want to see?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Bounded Accuracy was a bad idea. It's better to not hit, than to hit for trivial damage. It's also far more straightforward to understand what's happening within the narrative when that happens.

If you swapped the advancement rates of hit/AC and HP, the game would make much more sense. That is something I would like to see in 6E.

Definitely a valid path. Low level creatures remain scary not because they still hit often, but because if they do hit it's for a sizable amount of your HPs. More powerful foes are scary because they hit A LOT, doing a good chunk of your HPs each time, and they are hard to hit in return.

Seems a bit more swingy than the direction 5e went because d20+mods has more variation then d12+8 (or whatever) damage dice. A few good rolls can make hits to bring down a powerful foe quickly - be it the dragon the PCs just effortless took out, or the gnolls taking down a PC in the first round. That's not a condemnation, just a comment on the difference.

Foks, if you think someone is trolling, facing of like this make you into a troll. Please resist the urge to make it a public accusation.
Get rid of the colors and just go with black and white text and art. Less classes! How many are they now and how many books do they cover? Less feats or rework the current ones where they are just ok, not great and not bad. Some spells need to be nerfed, I leave up to you to decide. Death due to max age, yes bring back that golden ole from 1E.

Random replies
Ad_hoc …In 5e players don't say 'I use X skill' they instead describe what they are doing. This may be 1st or 2nd person (a description of what the character is doing)…… hahaha Your players do. My players either say I use X skill or if I lucky give me a description.
Vpuigdoller …I would love if they removed sub classes. The more time passes the more I hate them….. Yea forget midget or diesel, Nuke and guided missiles classes rule!

Random thoughts…
Each Deluxe DMG should come with a sharp sword and 10 get out of jail free cards. DMS can then legally lop the heads off of rules lawyers or Min Maxers. DM is responsible for cleaning up the carpet.
There are 12 classes in one book, and color art is not bad. Wait, am I responding to a troll again...hmmm

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Oh, one other thing: even tho I'm not a big fan of psionics, I think the ''new phb'' should include most classes and subsystems required to play in the more popular settings. So, psionic caster and artificers should be base classes.

akr71

Hero
Mearls has talked about keeping 5e as "evergreen", which pushes down thoughts of 6e some. Why spend resources (= money) several years before it can recoup those costs if the sales of the books stay high? And even in the gluts of 3.x and 4e, the core books sales stayed high.

^This. I don't expect to 6e any time soon, nor do I want it. I don't think 5e is the perfect game, but my players seem happy enough, and only one other (who occasionally DM's too), is a tinkerer.

That said, what I would like to see is a 'republishing' of the 3 core books, so all the 'official' player character options and spells were bundled into one book. All the treasure and maybe some of the lore, especially when it pertains to other planes bundled into a revised DMG. I don't know about one massive monster manual though - at least I don't have any ideas off the top of my head. This would keep the edition as an 'evergreen' product. Much of what I need, I can find through a third party or homebrew myself.

I would like more optional rules like a more robust skill system, weapons that feel unique (battleaxe vs longsword) and more shield options.

It will be interesting to see what WotC does after Essentials has been mass released for an extended period. What will happen to those new Sidekick and single person play rules?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I wouldn't mind seeing updates to classes such that they all gain their subclass at 1st level and each level where subclass abilities are gained are the same across each class. I want to be able to more easily mix and match subclasses, though I could do without the latter if it meant I could have 1st level subclasses for each class.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I doubt we will see 6e within the next ten years, tbh.

But, if I had Mike's job, my priorities for a 6e would be:

1. Backward compatibility, and don't call it 6e.

2. Do not break apart the ranger, or rebuild it to use terrain as it's subclass, or any such conceptual overhaul. The ranger needs to do what it already does, but actually be effective at all levels, and for every choice to actually meaningfully impact the character.
[sblock] Natural Explorer should still include a favored terrain choice, which should give benefits to exploration in general, but particularly in stuff like movement, stealth, surviving hazards, etc, so that it is sometimes useful in combat as well. It should also have always on travel benefits for the whole team. If they can be tailored to a terrain but still useful anywhere, great.
Favored Enemy should stop being about choosing a species or similar grouping, and instead be things like "behemoths, hordes, outsiders, conjurations, spellcasters," etc. Dragons might be fine, but if things like Rocs and Griffons can be put in a group with them, that's better. Then, the benefit is to tracking, interacting with, evading, and fighting those types of creatures. Things like "when a flying creature that is larger than you leaves your threatened space, you can make an Opportunity Attack even if they Disengage or otherwise have an ability to move without provoking them." or the Hunter Ranger's Horde Breaker benefit. Basically consume the Hunter into the favored enemy class feature.
Also, Rangers would have known spells equal to their Wisdom mod+half level, and Favored enemy would give the ability to use Hunter's Mark without a spell slot against a creature that qualifies as your favored enemy, or something like that. I prefer to keep HM a spell, though. I wouldn't replace it with a class feature, as such. [/sblock]

3. Give monsters skills, and bring back thinks like "leader" and "elite" classifications as templates to add to monsters, also clean up the math of monsters so that they are easier to adjust, and experiment in playtesting with different ways to make monsters more dynamic without making them overwhelming.

4. Move further away from the idea that humanoid races can be born evil.

5. Experiment with giving Fighters Legendary Actions instead of more extra attacks.

6. Make Inspiration more front and center, in part by having characters automatically have inspiration when they gain a level, or maybe even at the start of an adventuring day, or something.

7. Experiment with Extended Rests, as an expansion on Downtime. Provide alternate rules for only recovering some of your resources with a Long Rest. Perhaps half your spell levels in slots, for instance. Basically model something similar to the Journey rules in The One Ring and Adventures in Middle Earth, where you have to rest in a place of true safety to fully get back to 100%. But also provide bonuses when you take an Extended Rest, especially if you do so in a place where you are very well regarded, or in your own stronghold, etc. See 6; maybe you gain Inspiration at the end of an Extended Rest, in addition to being able to gain it by doing cool stuff and playing your character well.

8. Make Travel more interesting. This would be a big goal, but I don't have any concrete ideas for it off the top of my head.

9. Include actual advice for crafting, running a business, leading an organization, etc. Doesn't need to be whole subsystems, but some degree of support for DMs that don't want to invent a whole system from scratch or spend the whole campaign playing "idk just...um...roll a thing. okay, that seems pretty good...XYZ happens".

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Very satisfied with 5e, but I would like to see more codified reasons for PCs to push their resources before resting. Adventure structure largely does this for me now, but some mechanical benefits would be welcome.
I'd love to see something like 4e's Action Points, here. A direct mechanical reward for pushing past the safe resource expenditure model.

Remove ads