D&D = American + European Fantasy

Dungeons & Dragons draws on a rich mythology from the works of European authors like J.R.R. Tolkien and Michael Moorcock. And yet D&D was also influenced by American authors like Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, H.P. Lovecraft, and R.E. Howard. The end result is that D&D's tone sits somewhere between the two. Photo by Jorge Martínez on Unsplash European Folklore The bones of D&D have obvious...

Dungeons & Dragons draws on a rich mythology from the works of European authors like J.R.R. Tolkien and Michael Moorcock. And yet D&D was also influenced by American authors like Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, H.P. Lovecraft, and R.E. Howard. The end result is that D&D's tone sits somewhere between the two.

disney.jpg

Photo by Jorge Martínez on Unsplash
European Folklore

The bones of D&D have obvious roots in European myths and legends; we see it in the dwarves, elves, hobbits, and orcs of J.R.R. Tolkien and the fairies, giants, and dragons that are scattered throughout the Monster Manual. Colleen Gillard explains how British fantasy flourished by staying in touch with its pagan roots -- and was even influenced by the landscape:

Landscape matters: Britain’s antique countryside, strewn with moldering castles and cozy farms, lends itself to fairy-tale invention. As Tatar puts it, the British are tuned in to the charm of their pastoral fields...

But D&D has many influences, not the least of which are co-creators Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, who brought their own American sensibilities to the game. For a fantasy role-playing game that is distinctly European, look no further than Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, now in its Fourth Edition.

American Influences

American fantasy, like the Europeans, was influenced by its terrain:

America’s mighty vistas, by contrast, are less cozy, less human-scaled, and less haunted. The characters that populate its purple mountain majesties and fruited plains are decidedly real...

But perhaps the strongest difference is a sense of control over one's destiny. This belief, carried over with America's earliest settlers from Europe, reinforced that self-enrichment was a moral right, as outlined by Max Weber:

...Weber wrote that capitalism in Northern Europe evolved when the Protestant (particularly Calvinist) ethic influenced large numbers of people to engage in work in the secular world, developing their own enterprises and engaging in trade and the accumulation of wealth for investment. In other words, the Protestant work ethic was an important force behind the unplanned and uncoordinated emergence of modern capitalism.

No wonder then that Gygax strongly adhered to a leveling system in which heroes can rise to success through the accumulation of wealth at significant risk. This was how heroes like Conan, Fafhrd, and the Gray Mouser did it, and it draws on a long tradition of American folklore:

Popular storytelling in the New World instead tended to celebrate in words and song the larger-than-life exploits of ordinary men and women: Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Calamity Jane, even a mule named Sal on the Erie Canal. Out of bragging contests in logging and mining camps came even greater exaggerations—Tall Tales—about the giant lumberjack Paul Bunyan, the twister-riding cowboy Pecos Bill, and that steel-driving man John Henry, who, born a slave, died with a hammer in his hand. All of these characters embodied the American promise: They earned their fame.

Unlike in European fantasy where boys become kings (or in Harry Potter's case, orphans become wizards), characters in D&D aren't usually born heroes; the very nature of leveling systems and experience points ensures they earn it.

A Motley Mix

Adding these two influences together creates Dungeons & Dragons, a rich tapestry of fantasy that draws on the works of European authors and then throws in American sensibilities where the heroes are in control of their destiny -- or at least their skills and attributes.

For all their American influences, D&D heroes are still small in the weave of the world. In early D&D games, they died by the handfuls at the whim of dice, a lesson distinctly at odds with American determinism.

D&D has come full circle to influence the fantasy that created it. You can see its motley pedigree's fingerprints on sweeping fantasies like Game of Thrones. As the fantasy genre continues to flourish and the world becomes more interconnected, it seems likely that we'll see more works that draw on other cultures...D&D included.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Grainger

Explorer
Interesting. Aside from the "centralised" issue you bring up, old-school D&D had a sense of - not just an area they hadn't expanded into yet - but "wild" areas with "uncivilised" tribes. Did medieval France/Scandinavia etc. have this? I don't just mean bandits in unsettled areas, but actual different cultural groups they were rubbing up against. TBH I don't know if current D&D settings have this feel, but 70s/80s D&D did.

David Weihe

Villager
IDid medieval France/Scandinavia etc. have this?

No, but Prussia, Estonia, etc., did. The Teutonic Knights moved in, then sold the "new" (well, de-paganized) land for settlements. Eventually, they decided that Orthodox Christians (like in Russia) were close enough to pagan to let the Knights attack them (cf. Nevsky, Alexander), too.

Starfox

Hero
Scandinavia did have a different culture to rub up against - the Sami. Nonviolent natives living off fishing and reindeer hunting (later herding), these conflicts generally ended with the Sami being pushed back. But these problems were not severe before ca 1900 - the Sami had a monopoly on transportation in this area, as their sleds were the only reliable means to travel in the rough terrain. In fact, the Swedish kings spent a lot of energy courting the Sami, as Sweden was dependent on land travel in the north - unlike Denmark/Norway who controlled the Atlantic coast. The sami needed certain wares, mainly salt, and were willing to pay premium prices in pelts, making the Sami trade very profitable. The situation resembles the early French colonization in America. Trade was king, no colonization.

This all changed with industrialization and social darwinism, but this is outside the scope of ENworld.

But if you want to have the 1E feel of a wilderness to pacify, you have to go back to the crusades in the Baltics, ca 1100. A mix of viking and Christian mentality, this history is actually quite fascinating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Interesting. Aside from the "centralised" issue you bring up, old-school D&D had a sense of - not just an area they hadn't expanded into yet - but "wild" areas with "uncivilised" tribes. Did medieval France/Scandinavia etc. have this? I don't just mean bandits in unsettled areas, but actual different cultural groups they were rubbing up against. TBH I don't know if current D&D settings have this feel, but 70s/80s D&D did.

Check out the whole Northern Crusades. There was a frontier vibe to the Reconquista, too, with a substantial "no man's land" in between the Northern Christian states and al-Andalus and its successors. Similar logic also held with regards to the relationship between England and the Celtic nations of Ireland, Wales, and Scotland at different times. The Anglo-Scottish Borderlands were also the scene of a lot of pretty nasty fighting for a long time. William the Conquerer ordered the Harrowing of the North, for instance, which may have left the area substantially depopulated. The fact that the area had endemic warfare for centuries certainly affected the culture.

In a real sense the culture of the Frontier in the Americas was very driven by both the Spanish Reconquista culture and that of the Borderlands brought over by colonists.

No, but Prussia, Estonia, etc., did. The Teutonic Knights moved in, then sold the "new" (well, de-paganized) land for settlements. Eventually, they decided that Orthodox Christians (like in Russia) were close enough to pagan to let the Knights attack them (cf. Nevsky, Alexander), too.

Well, it's less that they were pagans, more that they were seen as heretics (and the Orthodox returned the sentiment), due to the Great Schism of 1054 where the Eastern (Orthodox) and Western (Catholic) halves of the Church split after 600+ years of simmering tensions between them due to very longstanding political and theological differences that are beyond the scope of this site's normal "no religion" rule.

Aldarc

Legend
[MENTION=3285]talien[/MENTION], thank you for this article. You hit the nail on the head.

This discussion reminds me of a similar discussion of genre in regards to Star Wars. Many people classify Star Wars not so much as Sci-Fi, but as Science Fantasy. But a number of film critics note how much of Star Wars, particularly the first film, is rooted in the American Western, arguably making Star Wars a Sci-Fantasy Space Western. With even another strong influence on Star Wars, Akira Kurosawa, having pulled heavily from American Westerns. Not to mention other early pulp sci-fi stories and serials (e.g., Flash Gordon, John Carter of Mars) that also drew from American Westerns. You can watch Star Wars (A New Hope) as an American Western. The first part of the film focuses on a frontier desert region with dangerous natives. There is a retired gunslinger who takes on a farm kid wearing a poncho. A saloon scene. An outlaw smuggler and his exotic "Indian" sidekick armed with a bow evading bounty hunters with a stage coach who offer to take them across the "desert."

Likewise, D&D like many other American-made stories seems firmly rooted in its Americana. D&D frequently entails an American view of the Medieval period and feudalism that is more focused on the aesthetics than the social mechanics at play. Though D&D frequently uses the vaneer of social "class," D&D itself operates mostly as if it was classless. "Class" consciousness is something that is fairly foreign to many Americans. I even recall my own learning experience where I visited England, and people occassionally remarked that "You have a good working class name." My name is not something I would tie to class.

But D&D also incorporates an adversarial sense of "Civilization" vs. "Wilderness (and its native inhabitants)" that borrows more heavily from an American settler and colonial mindset. The stories are less about squabbling feudal lords, duty, or even faith, but about treasure-seekers fighting the "uncivilized." And as someone mentioned, a lot of D&D adventures follow common tropes of Westerns: frontier town threatened by savage natives, sheriffs, territorial governors, etc.

Sadras

Legend
But D&D also incorporates an adversarial sense of "Civilization" vs. "Wilderness (and its native inhabitants)" that borrows more heavily from an American settler and colonial mindset. The stories are less about squabbling feudal lords, duty, or even faith, but about treasure-seekers fighting the "uncivilized." And as someone mentioned, a lot of D&D adventures follow common tropes of Westerns: frontier town threatened by savage natives, sheriffs, territorial governors, etc.

If I was unsure before, this paragraph pretty much cements my agreement about how American D&D really is. When I went to Europe and visited the various museums I learned how important trade guilds were during the medieval times and realised how little D&D focuses on it. The politics and economic conflict that existed between the guilds, its members as well as the feudal lords and faith politics cannot be understated, and yet we see so little of it in D&D. Do not get me wrong, it exists - but the Western trope (fighting the uncivilised) and treasure-seeking takes centre stage and is very much the norm.

It is probably why I enjoy Gaz 3, The Principalities of Glantri so much as it spends a number of pages on the politics, guilds and societies of the setting.

Starfox

Hero
I even recall my own learning experience where I visited England, and people occassionally remarked that "You have a good working class name." My name is not something I would tie to class.

"Aldarc" must really have struck the British as a good working-class name. :D

Sorry, I could not resist. This is entirely tongue-in-cheek and I'm not fishing for your real name.

Aldarc

Legend
If I was unsure before, this paragraph pretty much cements my agreement about how American D&D really is. When I went to Europe and visited the various museums I learned how important trade guilds were during the medieval times and realised how little D&D focuses on it. The politics and economic conflict that existed between the guilds, its members as well as the feudal lords and faith politics cannot be understated, and yet we see so little of it in D&D. Do not get me wrong, it exists - but the Western trope (fighting the uncivilised) and treasure-seeking takes centre stage and is very much the norm.
The thing is, if one were to imagine playing a more accurate pre-modern D&D setting, whether that is focused on Classical Greco-Roman honor and glory or Middle Age chivalry and such, you could also likely see the potential places where players would buckle against these norms and harbor resentment. TTRPGs, including D&D, have presented more medieval or pre-modern societies (e.g., Birthright, Ars Magica, Harn, Empire of the Rose Petal, etc.), but these are niche products that have often remained fairly niche.

It is probably why I enjoy Gaz 3, The Principalities of Glantri so much as it spends a number of pages on the politics, guilds and societies of the setting.
This is likewise why I find Eberron so compelling. Though Eberron is sometimes regarded as atypical magepunk fantasy - especially given its World War I/Turn-of-the-Century conceit - it also has heavy medieval/Renaissance elements in its blending of historical eras.

You can see the feudalism and where it is increasingly breaking down amidst tensions between the rising merchant class and a growing sense of nationhood that emerged largely as a byproduct of warring feudal claimants. A war rooted in feudalism ironically marks its decay as an institution. Sure, the remaining four nations still have their kings and queens, but cracks are showing under the pressures of modernity. The Dragonmarked Houses create a relatively small subset of powerful guilds that vie for power between themselves, within nations, and between nations. And though some religions seem apolitical, like the Sovereign Host, others like the Church of the Silver Flame are highly political.

Remove ads

Remove ads