D&D General D&D and AI Text-to-Image Generation

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Sorry to rez this thread, but I just read a few articles that reminded me of this thread. Turns out an AI-generated fantasy art has also impressed judges of at least one art contest....

To be fair, the images are not 100% AI generated, since the creator did some post-processing. In this quote from the article, "Midjourney" is the name of the AI software used:

Still, imo, the "paintings" in question are very beautiful and evocative.
If he submitted that without specifying what "Midjourney" meant, that's still not exactly kosher. It may not rise to the level of true fraud, but making subtle references to it and nothing else...still looks bad, chief.

The guy is ultimately right that it will probably just become its own category of art, and many places will simply refuse to accept art that was made "with AI assistance" or the like. But this absolutely looks more like getting one over and deceiving people rather than like advocating for the judicious and scrupulous usage of new technology in a field that all too often robs the poor to feed the rich.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
If he submitted that without specifying what "Midjourney" meant, that's still not exactly kosher. It may not rise to the level of true fraud, but making subtle references to it and nothing else...still looks bad, chief.

The guy is ultimately right that it will probably just become its own category of art, and many places will simply refuse to accept art that was made "with AI assistance" or the like. But this absolutely looks more like getting one over and deceiving people rather than like advocating for the judicious and scrupulous usage of new technology in a field that all too often robs the poor to feed the rich.
Absolutely! When I posted, I wavered between the phrasings "impressed the judges" and "tricked the judges". These AI applications are opening up all kinds of cans of economic and ethical worms that wriggle far beyond just creative spaces like art and D&D.

There's actually been an increasing amount of concern among artists that this tech will really wreak havoc with industries that employ creatives, especially since the release of an AI image generator called Stable Diffusion a few weeks ago.

Remove ads