D&D 5E D&D and Settings: What's Next?

Curse of Strahd is so popular I believe they should return to Ravenloft before going anywhere else. But I guess we're going to Dark Sun before returning to Ravenloft (or any non-Realms place).

The Glen

Legend
Give me all of them at once. Just open up the guild. I don't have any interest of the Forgotten Realms. I do have interest in Mystara, Greyhawk and Planescape. I want to see a grand Adventure in sigil where every party member comes from a different setting. An elemental cleric from Dark Sun, a knight of solamnia from Krynn, a Glantrian wizard, and so on. Introduce all the settings at once.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
My feeling, with all the setting material already existing for these (on DMs Guild etc), the best way to handle it would be in a Player’s Guide to the Multiverse, and a companion DMs Guide to the Multiverse. The Player’s Guide would naturally provide races, classes and backgrounds for the various settings (and new spells and equipment) . The DMs guide would provide maps, and adventure building advice along with treasure unique to the settings, (and I guess advice and updating old adventures to 5e?)

Do they need more than that? My thinking is that both books would be a good resource even if you’re r not planning to set a game there.

While this sounds like a fantastic set of books, I don't think WOTC is going to go this way. They have enough settings that they could continue releasing in the format they've been releasing for quite a few years. I think that ultimately is a better model for them from a business standpoint. I could see them releasing something like this somewhere down the road for players as a collection of player options (including options already released) but honestly I doubt that as well.

gyor

Legend
I'm going to buck the trend and suggest they are going to do Kara Tur and Zakhara next year due to social pressure explore none "Eurocentric" settings and the fact that they are also subsets of the Forgotten Realms Setting makes things easier for them. We might even get Maztica, Karashaka, Osse, Archrome books, but that is less likely.

Other then that I believe Planescape will be next, we've gotten a lot of planar themed subclasses over the years, that haven't showed up yet.

Darksun won`t come out until the Psion is much closer to being ready.

Aldarc

Legend
Planescape may get its own Setting/Adventure book (e.g., Greyhawk with Saltmarsh). Then Dark Sun would be the setting book that expands character options, particularly psionics.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
As a counter point, I wonder how well the Ravnica book did. It seems likely that rather than delve into the depths of D&D they (WotC) would want to mix in the popularity of M:tG and provide those legions of players a fresh option to play in their favorite Magic settings.

I was surprised that they started with Ravnica as it's a rather unconventional setting for D&D style adventuring. Dominaria or Zendikar seem like they would have suited things better.

Note I'm not a Magic player, just a fan of the variety of settings the game offers (and duplicating those world-building efforts seems bizarre to me :) )

Parmandur

Book-Friend
As a counter point, I wonder how well the Ravnica book did. It seems likely that rather than delve into the depths of D&D they (WotC) would want to mix in the popularity of M:tG and provide those legions of players a fresh option to play in their favorite Magic settings.

I was surprised that they started with Ravnica as it's a rather unconventional setting for D&D style adventuring. Dominaria or Zendikar seem like they would have suited things better.

Note I'm not a Magic player, just a fan of the variety of settings the game offers (and duplicating those world-building efforts seems bizarre to me :) )

They did it because it is by far the most popular Magic setting, and it was coming in the card game at the right time. That it is more different was an incentive, as many Magic settings just needed a few pages from Wyatt, Ravnica offers a fully different experience.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm going to buck the trend and suggest they are going to do Kara Tur and Zakhara next year due to social pressure explore none "Eurocentric" settings and the fact that they are also subsets of the Forgotten Realms Setting makes things easier for them. We might even get Maztica, Karashaka, Osse, Archrome books, but that is less likely.

Other then that I believe Planescape will be next, we've gotten a lot of planar themed subclasses over the years, that haven't showed up yet.

Darksun won`t come out until the Psion is much closer to being ready.

Dark Sun might very easily be part of what they meant by "non-Euorpean," throw in a slightly off the Sword Coast AP, like Calishman, and that might be all that they meant.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think that Dark Sun is the easy call given their playtesting of various psionic classes, and the long history of psionics in D&D, and the natural fit of psionics as a Dark Sun release.

...it gets murkier after that, though. Part of it is the whole movie IP thing (now it's Goldstein & Daley at the helm?) so, who knows? I mean, if they can announce a movie or tv series with a Dragonlance twist, or relaunch a videogame based on it, I could see DL coming out with the classic (albeit updated) storyline.

The D&D movie is slated for November 2021, which might actually happen. If it turns out to be a Dragonlance movie, releasing a movie tie-in setting book seems a no-brainer.

Dragonlance is interesting, though, because there are two very obvious products they can do: first, a setting book, in the vein of Rising from the Last War or Ravnica, with player options, DM material and monsters (really the new style setting books are supplements for the PHB, the DMG and the MM all rolled together).

But perhaps just as big, a Ghosts of Saltmarsh style product that does the DL modules. Indeed, Weiss and Hickman have been around the WotC offices recently.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases