D&D 5E D&D and Settings: What's Next?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Gamma World- awesome, and unlikely. But possible! I'd love to see it.

But .... Star Frontiers? Could we hope? Puh-leeze?

Mearls has run 5E-powered Star Frontiers and Gamma World games at cons, meaning there has been some thought put into the idea: I think we may see it eventually, if the Edition is going strong and they have plumbed the depths of the main D&D settings.

lkj

Hero
I've been wondering whether they would do what they did last year and pair their setting hardback announcement with a pdf release. Last year it was Ravnica-Eberron. This year it's Eberron-?. But they have done the announcements differently this year. Maybe they have decided not to duplicate that strategy. Or perhaps they just have too much other stuff going on to keep up with it.

AD

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
But they have published Dominaria and Zendikar, only not in hardcover prints... perhaps only Ravnica was popular and complex enough to make a printed book for it.

I'm not sure they qualify as proper D&D setting books though. There's still a bunch of work left for the student :) But if you have the art book then there's a good amount of atmospheric content to work with.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've been wondering whether they would do what they did last year and pair their setting hardback announcement with a pdf release. Last year it was Ravnica-Eberron. This year it's Eberron-?. But they have done the announcements differently this year. Maybe they have decided not to duplicate that strategy. Or perhaps they just have too much other stuff going on to keep up with it.

AD

Yeah, RftLW was announced nearly a month later than every previous November book, closer to going to the printer. They have said the Eberron experiment was a huge success, so I think they will go there again. But apparently with some modification.

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm not sure they qualify as proper D&D setting books though. There's still a bunch of work left for the student :) But if you have the art book then there's a good amount of atmospheric content to work with.

I don't know how much material there could have been, but those are indeed small.

But then, for my tastes even SCAG doesn't qualify. Older editions setting books have spoiled me with their high page count and small fonts (think 3e FRCS).

Kai Lord

Hero
I'd love it if a couple years from now I am able to look over at my bookshelf and see three new 5E hardcovers for Dark Sun, Dragonlance, and Planescape.

Reynard

Legend
Dear WotC: Please roll Planescape and Spelljammer into a single setting called Planejammer and do all the crazy fun stuff of both of those setting without crystal spheres an such like. Sincerely, Reynard.

Remove ads