D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If COVID can hang out in animals or on plants, we are kidding ourselves by pulling the FIRE alarm over every case.

My wife's a veterinarian, and keeps up with such things - at this time, as compared to passing human-to-human, animals are a negligible source of covid-19 infections. If you work with animals that are kept in close proximity with people (like, you're a veterinarian), then there's precautions to be taken. But you should worry more about whether Fido's owner is wearing a mask than about Fido.

Covid-19 hanging around on plants in your environment is similarly not an issue to worry about. Food items that have been handled by humans still ought to be washed, but you aren't going to catch it from the oak tree in your yard, or someone's lawn.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
After a gender reveal party started a huge fire in California again this year, maybe gender reveal parties should simply be banned. They are dumb anyway.

That is simply criminal. Those parents should go to jail.

They are dumb. And this was for my future nephew. Understood as another venue to get some more gifts or money from people you know. Luckily, most of the people didn't come. And some that were invited didn't come because they actually tested positive.

Luckily one of those being my cousin, has only experienced lost of taste, as the worst symptom.

A cousin that is part of my normal in person group. So putting some validity on why we haven't held a session since the outbreak.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
RE: ADA and masks

A little clarification might be coming in at least one case...

Personally, if I had asthma, going to a football game during a pandemic without my own protection is probably the last thing I am going to be doing. That being besides the numerous ways it was stated that masks were required.

I mean... she was told to leave. I guess she thought she was calling the officer's bluff? That worked out well for her.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Can a US state close their borders to another state?
Early on when NYC became a raging hotspot, Rhode Island tried to shut off the flow of NYC'ers going "on vacation" (actually fleeing the epidemic). Since the first go at a Corona test kit had fizzled, nobody knew who had it or who did not. RI roadblocked the Connecticut border - look at a map to see why - and turned back all cars with NY license plates. That lasted about a day because the CT authorities complained; traffic jams and they didn't want maybe-contagious-carriers either. Under pressure from both States' governors, the RI Governor gave in.

That is what really trying to "stop the spread" would look like. And how people reacted to it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That is what really trying to "stop the spread" would look like. And how people reacted to it.

There are other ways.

Massachusetts has a list. If your state is on the list*, you can travel to MA freely. If you are not, you have to file papers, and either quarantine or get a negative test. If you do not comply, you get a fine of $500 per day you are not in compliance.

Now, it doesn't stop you at the border, but the financial risk of sticking around when you shouldn't is severe. They probably don't catch you immediately - which means that fine may be several thousand dollars when all is said and done. It has apparently been a good policy for preventing certain forms of travel that we really don't want to deal with at the moment.

*there are currently only 9 states on the list.

Personally, if I had asthma, going to a football game during a pandemic without my own protection is probably the last thing I am going to be doing. That being besides the numerous ways it was stated that masks were required.

I mean... she was told to leave. I guess she thought she was calling the officer's bluff? That worked out well for her.

This is another one that I learned about and am keeping on eye on:

At first glance, seems like someone seeking out a paycheck. The details do look interesting, though (assuming you believe some key things from the plaintiff's side).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
At first glance, seems like someone seeking out a paycheck. The details do look interesting, though (assuming you believe some key things from the plaintiff's side).

I'm guessing the facts of the matter are probably fairly clear-cut. They probably are immune suppressed, and they probably weren't allowed into the store.

The questions are in what that means in terms of interpretting whether the practice is discriminatory. I'm going to guess that it won't be found to be discrimination. Both Walmart and the state have a clear interest in keeping more people safe. Just taking people's word for it defeats the purpose of the policy, but having highly qualified personnel do it would be too high a practical burden. Sorry, but in the overall health crisis, quick and dirty may be acceptable.

Remove ads