D&D Beyond Beta: Your First Thoughts Thread!

Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use. AD

Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use.

AD

wedgeski

Adventurer
Didn't know about that, thanks!
You have one free *channel* subscription. I doubt you'll be able to use it for this, but I would love it if I was wrong!

I like it! It is, as one poster said, little more than a (very) pretty SRD right now. What it does is demonstrate good design and usability, which bodes well for the more sophosticated features to come.

lkj

Hero
No kidding? Thanks, Captain Obvious!

I'll clarify: I would not have expected DDB to be opened for public comment in this beta test iteration without both a search function for the compendium of rules and links to referenced rules from within compendium pages. I do hope that clears up my meaning for you.

I was also surprised they didn't have a global search already. But, based on their morning message today, I'm starting to think there's a backend reason why it isn't there yet:

"A global search function is really essential - I can't find what I'm looking for in the Compendium.

Completely agreed - we have a really solid global "omni" search coming. It's just not included in this phase of the beta. I assure you, this is right at the top of our list, but we will add it toward the end to be certain we make it cover all the bases."

Anyway, whatever the reason, as long as it shows up eventually and works, it's fine with me.

AD

sstacks

Shane "Shane Plays" Stacks
As I saw someone on reddit say, right now it's basically parts of the SRD in website form. Beta Phases 2 & 3 will bring more to the, er, table.

Here's a video tour I did if you're not inclined to cruise it yourself:
[video=youtube;8A68WqMSy6A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A68WqMSy6A[/video]

I was also surprised they didn't have a global search already. But, based on their morning message today, I'm starting to think there's a backend reason why it isn't there yet:

"A global search function is really essential - I can't find what I'm looking for in the Compendium.

Completely agreed - we have a really solid global "omni" search coming. It's just not included in this phase of the beta. I assure you, this is right at the top of our list, but we will add it toward the end to be certain we make it cover all the bases."

Anyway, whatever the reason, as long as it shows up eventually and works, it's fine with me.

AD

Also, global searches can be *very* resource intensive. For the first time opening it up to an unknown number of users, I can certainly understand holding off on something like that. Not sure that's the reason, but if I was one of the programmers on this, I would certainly consider that.

Last edited by a moderator:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You have one free *channel* subscription. I doubt you'll be able to use it for this, but I would love it if I was wrong!

I like it! It is, as one poster said, little more than a (very) pretty SRD right now. What it does is demonstrate good design and usability, which bodes well for the more sophosticated features to come.

Agreed! And that is exactly what I wanted these features to be. Obviously I hope that free stuff like the EE players companion will be added before launch, as well as UA support, but the searchable SRD is exactly what I want from the reference tools.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Well. I give them a D so far. Having forgot my twitch password, I used the support page D&D Beyond has. Their answer is to contact twitch. So, whenever we have some issues, we have to contact multiple or different vendors? That doesn't seem good to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MarkB

Legend
Well. I give them a D so far. Having forgot my twitch password, I used the support page D&D Beyond has. Their answer is to contact twitch. So, whenever we have some issues, we have to contact multiple or different vendors? That doesn't seem good to me.

For a final product? Indeed, I'd expect them to build that functionality into the site.

For a beta? No, I do not expect them to have built the full support portal for a product that does not yet exist.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
To be clear, they have a support page, and you can choose password as an issue. They just can't actually fix it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Remove ads

Remove ads