D&D Beyond Beta: Your First Thoughts Thread!

Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use. AD

Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use.

AD

pming

Legend
Hiya!

As some other have said..."Have to sign up with Twitch = No". I'm with them.

Did any of you actually read Twitch's Terms of Service? Well, for anyone who is just running a home game, and doesn't mind if someone steals their stuff, packages it, and sells it without giving you a dime...then, yeah, I can see the "So we had to sign up with Twitch. So what?" attitude.

But for me, no. I'll keep my IP thanks. :)

This also begs the question about ANYONE who has put something up on DM's Guild...or, those who buy something from DM's Guild. If said person then inputs the info (either because they are the original author, or they bought a DM's Guild product) into their DDBeyond account...POOF! Twitch now owns the rights to it...at at least you and them own the rights to it...but they don't have to tell you they are selling it and they don't have to give you a penny, if they choose to do so. (Section 8, under License to Twitch).

Besides, I'm unlikely to use it anyway as there will likely be all sorts of restrictions on printing, saving, exporting, etc. But you never know...

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hiya!

Did any of you actually read Twitch's Terms of Service? Well, for anyone who is just running a home game, and doesn't mind if someone steals their stuff, packages it, and sells it without giving you a dime...then, yeah, I can see the "So we had to sign up with Twitch. So what?" attitude.

This also begs the question about ANYONE who has put something up on DM's Guild...or, those who buy something from DM's Guild. If said person then inputs the info (either because they are the original author, or they bought a DM's Guild product) into their DDBeyond account...POOF! Twitch now owns the rights to it...at at least you and them own the rights to it.../QUOTE]

You can't give away somebody else's IP.

Remathilis

Legend
Hiya!

Is there a single example in the history of TTRPGs of a fan posting content and then finding its been stolen by the company, repackaged, and sold without restitution? Anywhere? I'm not talking about "D&D's dragonborn are similar to the dragonic race I made 10 years ago and posted on the TSR AOL forums; WotC owes me money!" or "I created necromantic elves long before Eberron was a thing.", I'm talking literal theft of the idea soup-to-nuts and reselling it later as there own.

There has to be one example, right?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I'm not a lawyer, but reading the terms of service suggests to me that:
1. If you deliberately upload your own work to twitch, you're assigning rights to twitch to use it for a whole bunch of things.
2. If your work is considered an 'addon', 'map' or 'mod', and was submitted on one of their websites, then once you take it off that website, those rights terminate, but twitch are allowed to keep copies for their own internal use.
3. If your work is an audio-visual work, then the rights terminate when you delete it or close your account, except for copies that people already have or copies that twitch already put into promos.
4. By uploading something you're claiming that you have the rights to use that work.

So... not seeing a lot that worries me personally.

The main reason I'd want something other than twitch used is that twitch requires you are 13+ to use it.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Twitch is Curse's parent company. This bothers me about as much as having to use my Amazon account to sign into Audible, i.e. not at all.
Missing the point. The web site has a help function for passwords. But when you use it, they tell you they can't actually fix passwords, that you have to go to another site and fill out another form. Why not take me there in the first place? That shouldn't be hard. Among the data you have to supply to get a new password is your IP address? It isn't exactly user friendly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MarkB

Legend
Missing the point. The web site has a help function for passwords. But when you use it, they tell you they can't actually fix passwords, that you have to go to another site and fill out another form. Why not take me there in the first place? That shouldn't be hard

And I'm sure it will be that straightforward in the final product. I would fully expect account management to be integrated into the site at that stage. But this is a beta, and you shouldn't expect them to have a full, perfect support structure in place for a product they've only just started testing.

To you it makes sense that the Password Help option would take you straight to Twitch's website. But for some people, a website linking them to an external site without warning is a breach of etiquette and security, and they would be just as offended by the lack of that extra step as you are by its presence.

mflayermonk

First Post
Any news on uploading and sharing custom homebrew content?
Because the ability to foist my bad homebrew monsters on all of you makes this a must buy.

Also, isn't D&D Beyond setting itself up to be a direct competitor to EN World?

Remove ads

Remove ads