D&D Beyond Cancellations Changed WotCs Plans

Gizmodo has revealed that the partial OGL v1.1 walkback yesterday was in response to the fan campaign to cancel D&D Beyond subscriptions, with "five digits" worth of cancellations. However, the site also reveals that management at the company believed that fans were overreating and that it would all be forgotten in a few months. In order to delete a D&D Beyond account entirely, users are...

DD-beyond-2364798935.jpg

Gizmodo has revealed that the partial OGL v1.1 walkback yesterday was in response to the fan campaign to cancel D&D Beyond subscriptions, with "five digits" worth of cancellations. However, the site also reveals that management at the company believed that fans were overreating and that it would all be forgotten in a few months.

In order to delete a D&D Beyond account entirely, users are funneled into a support system that asks them to submit tickets to be handled by customer service: Sources from inside Wizards of the Coast confirm that earlier this week there were “five digits” worth of complaining tickets in the system. Both moderation and internal management of the issues have been “a mess,” they said, partially due to the fact that WotC has recently downsized the D&D Beyond support team.

Yesterday's walkback removed the royalties from the license, but still 'de-authorized' the OGL v1.0a, something which may or may not be legally possible, depending on who you ask.

1) all we are asking for is that WotC honor the agreement they willingly entered into, that feels like ordinarily that is the bare minimum, and I am not willing to move on from that just yet

2) them not backing out of that yesterday means nothing, they try to offer as little as possible to make this go away. It is up to the community to decide what is enough, and if we keep this up, the outrage grows as more people find out and their subscriptions keep dropping, then we will see how far they are going to go back. So far we have no actual idea, all we know is how outrageously far they wanted to go.
Given that they lived very well with the OGL this long certainly implies that getting rid of it is not vital to their business (I’d argue not getting rid might be however)

3) even the new term they offered are entirely unacceptable because they can change them at any time and if there is one thing WotC is lacking completely right now that is trust, so any new offer has to be perpetual and irrevocable
1) That was two decades ago. I am not saying they should go back on that but a lot changes.
2) maybe for their RPG business. But they are thinking brand too.
3) That is never going to happen. Even if you and I want that. If I am their lawyer I would never advise that.

1) all we are asking for is that WotC honor the agreement they willingly entered into, that feels like ordinarily that is the bare minimum, and I am not willing to move on from that just yet

2) them not backing out of that yesterday means nothing, they try to offer as little as possible to make this go away. It is up to the community to decide what is enough, and if we keep this up, the outrage grows as more people find out and their subscriptions keep dropping, then we will see how far they are going to go back. So far we have no actual idea, all we know is how outrageously far they wanted to go.
Given that they lived very well with the OGL this long certainly implies that getting rid of it is not vital to their business (I’d argue not getting rid might be however)

3) even the new term they offered are entirely unacceptable because they can change them at any time and if there is one thing WotC is lacking completely right now that is trust, so any new offer has to be perpetual and irrevocable
I would ask you is there any middle ground you would accept that does not include perpetual and irrevocable? I am curious since that is unlikely would you accept something else?

BlueFin

Just delete this account.
Otherwise 6E might end up with a new Oathbreaker Paladin that reads:

"You de-authorized a pact that your deity considered irrevocable for your own personal gain. You now have perpetual disadvantage on all future reaction rolls against those that know of your treachery..."
This is easily one of my favourite, and one of the best responses I've read 😂

Generic Fantasy product's A1, and A2.
Ok. But I think you are being disingenuous. D&D may not be Marvel but is has a big cultural imprint beyond generic fantasy. You can see it is the game you played with your friends and be stuck 20 years in the past but it is much more than that.

Scribe

Legend
Ok. But I think you are being disingenuous. D&D may not be Marvel but is has a big cultural imprint beyond generic fantasy. You can see it is the game you played with your friends and be stuck 20 years in the past but it is much more than that.

It 100% has a cultural imprint. 100000% I have said that multiple times.

Whats the Brand though? Thats the crux of this.

No story.
No art style.
No 'position' on anything.

It is generic, safe, fantasy.

Remove ads

Remove ads