D&D Beyond Cancellations Changed WotCs Plans

Gizmodo has revealed that the partial OGL v1.1 walkback yesterday was in response to the fan campaign to cancel D&D Beyond subscriptions, with "five digits" worth of cancellations. However, the site also reveals that management at the company believed that fans were overreating and that it would all be forgotten in a few months. In order to delete a D&D Beyond account entirely, users are...

DD-beyond-2364798935.jpg

Gizmodo has revealed that the partial OGL v1.1 walkback yesterday was in response to the fan campaign to cancel D&D Beyond subscriptions, with "five digits" worth of cancellations. However, the site also reveals that management at the company believed that fans were overreating and that it would all be forgotten in a few months.

In order to delete a D&D Beyond account entirely, users are funneled into a support system that asks them to submit tickets to be handled by customer service: Sources from inside Wizards of the Coast confirm that earlier this week there were “five digits” worth of complaining tickets in the system. Both moderation and internal management of the issues have been “a mess,” they said, partially due to the fact that WotC has recently downsized the D&D Beyond support team.

Yesterday's walkback removed the royalties from the license, but still 'de-authorized' the OGL v1.0a, something which may or may not be legally possible, depending on who you ask.

Assuming (dangerous) their database is not trash, they should have been able to look that all up.

Accounts
Total Paid
Sub Level
Cancelled Date

The issue is if they just flag an account as deleted, or if the data is actually deleted.
Yeah I would extremely surprised if they weren't able to run some kind of report, or absolute worst case, spit out an Excel document and then faff around with it, and thus see exactly how many subscriptions got cancelled in the last two weeks.

That's exactly the kind of metric you're going to be routinely looking at anyway.

Scribe

Legend
Yeah I would extremely surprised if they weren't able to run some kind of report, or absolute worst case, spit out an Excel document and then faff around with it, and thus see exactly how many subscriptions got cancelled in the last two weeks.

That's exactly the kind of metric you're going to be routinely looking at anyway.

100%, I do this at work on a constant basis, but I'm in a different field.

Conceptually though if whoever built the database isnt inept, this would all be very easy for them to figure out.

delericho

Legend
I think the real question at this point is, would the terms I laid out in previous threads be enough to overcome the "sour taste" in developers' mouths, as quoted in the article?
Each individual and each company will need to decide for themselves, of course.

For me, I think two things are needed:

1. An actual apology. I consider some of their behaviour over the past week to be unethical, so I'm afraid just walking it back isn't enough - they need to acknowledge that they tried to do something they should not, and did it badly.

2. An OGL 1.0b which tightens the language to make it clear it cannot be revoked, de-authorized, or otherwise cancelled. Oh, and a statement that any previously-open material remains open. (Also, the new OGL must make no other changes. Even the decency clause is a no-no - I simply can't trust them not to abuse it.)

(In theory, an alternative would be to embrace ORC and put all previously-open material under that. However, there are some bits and pieces in "Unearthed Arcana" and Dragon articles that I'm not sure they have the necessary rights to open in that way, and I'm afraid I have little appetite to compromise.)

I don't mind if they decide not to open OneD&D, and if they change the game so that the OGL can't be used to support it. I also don't mind if they offer a different license for OneD&D, even if that license is terrible. That's their prerogative. (I think it would be foolish and short-sighted, but it's their choice.) My interest is in reversing the damage that removing OGL 1.0a causes.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I think we should also send our intention to not support OneD&D through their contact us function on their website or through snail mail. I was planning on switching my current 5E campaigns from Roll20 to OneD&D, but not if they de-authorize the OGL 1.0. If they end up doing that, I'll switch to another system - maybe Cypher System since it is d20 based and fully supported - come to think of it I'll send MCG an email too to encourage them to create a Cypher System Nexus on Demiplane.
That's pretty much where I'm at, too. I'm running a 5E game now, relying on DDB pretty heavily for it, but will be done with that in a couple months. If WOTC effectively (either legally or through a chilling effect) revokes OGL 1.0, I will cancel my subscription and push for my group to either only use existing OGL stuff we have our can get, or find something that scratches the same itch and isn't terribly different.
The economy is not only raw materials, services and products. It is also the trust by customers and business partners, and the prestige for a job well done, these latter one cannot be bought or sold but must be earned on their own merits.
Been thinking about this Scribe article about the "trust thermocline" a lot lately. Basically, it's about how companies that don't understand how their customers interact with their product eventually make that one decision that crosses the line, they lose customers in droves, and once that trust is breached getting those customers back is almost impossible.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads