D&D Beyond Cancellations Changed WotCs Plans

DD-beyond-2364798935.jpg

Gizmodo has revealed that the partial OGL v1.1 walkback yesterday was in response to the fan campaign to cancel D&D Beyond subscriptions, with "five digits" worth of cancellations. However, the site also reveals that management at the company believed that fans were overreating and that it would all be forgotten in a few months.

In order to delete a D&D Beyond account entirely, users are funneled into a support system that asks them to submit tickets to be handled by customer service: Sources from inside Wizards of the Coast confirm that earlier this week there were “five digits” worth of complaining tickets in the system. Both moderation and internal management of the issues have been “a mess,” they said, partially due to the fact that WotC has recently downsized the D&D Beyond support team.

Yesterday's walkback removed the royalties from the license, but still 'de-authorized' the OGL v1.0a, something which may or may not be legally possible, depending on who you ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voadam

Legend
Beyond was quoted as having 10m registered users a year or two ago, and more recently by WotC as having 13m registered users.
Yeah I am one of those. Accounts are free and I got the spelljammer bestiary thing.
But there's never been anything said about how many subscriptions, or whether they're normal or master tier.
Yeah, how many are paying anything and how many of those are canceling would be the bottom line numbers of biggest impact I would expect.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Can someone confirm, I thought those numbers became like at least $1 million in subs lost in a week.
It'll be hard to gauge as we don't have precise numbers on the lost subs nor their value. There are multiple tiers of subscription, so that's one variable. There were "5 figures" of cancelled subscriptions, which translates to between 10,000 and 99,999 cancellations, so that's the second variable. If it's 10,000 subs lost and $5 a sub, you're looking at $50,000 lost. If it's 99,999 subs lost and $20 a sub, you're looking at almost $2 million. So it's really up in the air.

ETA: Looking at the actual sub models from DNDBeyond. They're $3 and $6/month. Average that to $4.5. The "5 figures" averages out to 54,999.5. The math on the averages equates to $247,497.75. Even if it's 99,999 and they're all top tier subs, it's only $599,994.

Last edited:

The economy is not only raw materials, services and products. It is also the trust by customers and business partners, and the prestige for a job well done, these latter one cannot be bought or sold but must be earned on their own merits.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases