D&D Beyond is doing a OGL 1.2 FAQ on Twitter

One funny thing they are doing is trying to do sweeten the pot by suggesting they will add more editions to OGL, this obviously refers to the other edition that OGL 1.0a covered, 3e/3.5e, but it says editionS plur, so it's possible they offer 4e too and maybe even earlier editions too, I mean from their perspective why not, they don't give a naughty word about the old editions.

The more desperate WotC gets, the more we can squeeze them for!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

One funny thing they are doing is trying to do sweeten the pot by suggesting they will add more editions to OGL, this obviously refers to the other edition that OGL 1.0a covered, 3e/3.5e, but it says editionS plur, so it's possible they offer 4e too and maybe even earlier editions too, I mean from their perspective why not, they don't give a naughty word about the old editions.

The more desperate WotC gets, the more we can squeeze them for!
3E is already under the irrevocable OGL v1.0a.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm honestly having trouble envisioning WotC going out of their way to create entirely new SRDs for the OGL v1.2. I mean, maybe they will in order to try and sweeten the deal, but I suspect that they just mean the 3.5 SRD, Modern SRD, and maybe the 3.0 SRD.

Remathilis

Legend
I'm honestly having trouble envisioning WotC going out of their way to create entirely new SRDs for the OGL v1.2. I mean, maybe they will in order to try and sweeten the deal, but I suspect that they just mean the 3.5 SRD, Modern SRD, and maybe the 3.0 SRD.
Didn't the GSL have some type of SRD attached to it? Something akin to examples of how to make a power, class, monster, etc? They could just release that

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Didn't the GSL have some type of SRD attached to it? Something akin to examples of how to make a power, class, monster, etc? They could just release that
The 4e GSL SRD was not an srd by our ogl understanding. It was basically a list of terms and powers that you could refer to in your own publications and a way to cite the rulebooks to point people at the relevant rules you were forbidden from reproducing.

It was garbage. The gsl was the worst part of 4e (a game I actually like). If you’re curious it's up on the internet archive.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
You're right that there was a 4E SRD (two, in fact), but while it did have a few templates for making new powers and such, insofar as content from the Core Rules went it was really just a list of terms that you could reference, rather than things you could reproduce in full. The usage guidelines at the beginning go into it in more detail.

EDIT: The "SRD" file is the file released with the original GSL. The "4E_SRD" file was released with the revised GSL.

Attachments

• SRD.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • 4E_SRD.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Remove ads