D&D Beyond is doing a OGL 1.2 FAQ on Twitter

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Thank you. I was out of 4e when the real gsl made its debut. Seems far less helpful than I had hoped..
Yah it stinks. If 4e had had a real srd there might still be support for it even under a more restricted gsl license.

But it worked the way wizards wanted it to work. They stopped publishing 4e and no Pathfinder type clones showed up so as far as they're concerned it worked.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Well, sure. But if the GSL had been more like the OGL, you can bet there would have been something. Even if it had just been a labor of love.
Even if it had had a real srd I probably would have put out some stuff for it myself as a labor of love. Even under gsl restrictive rules.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Yeah, there's a reason you've never seen a 4e retroclone.
You've caught the gaze of Orcus!

see

Pedantic Grognard
Yeah, there's a reason you've never seen a 4e retroclone.
Sure I have, it's called Orcus.

It's true that the "4th Edition System Reference Document" was not remotely enough to build a retroclone on, on its own. However, if that SRD were to be released under the OGL 1.0a, that would actually help the Orcus people a lot, since they could attach their OGL 1.0a content to the 4e names.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
You've caught the gaze of Orcus!

Sure I have, it's called Orcus.

It's true that the "4th Edition System Reference Document" was not remotely enough to build a retroclone on, on its own. However, if that SRD were to be released under the OGL 1.0a, that would actually help the Orcus people a lot, since they could attach their OGL 1.0a content to the 4e names.
Given it literally only released a week and a half ago, I think you can appreciate why I would say what I said.

That's uncalled for when you're discussing a product developed by a tiny third-party outfit that has (as far as I am aware) almost no associated promotional activity.

Heck, I don't even know what new D&D products are out half the time if I don't go check them out in a bookstore or my FLGS!

And in point of fact, the published book did, in fact, only come out this past January 9th.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases