D&D 5E D&D Beyond: Monsters of the Multiverse Will Not Replace Existing Monsters

D&D Beyond has said that Monsters of the Multiverse will not replace existing monsters already purchased by users. While they have indicated that existing content will not be overwritten, they were unable to share any details on how the new monster stat blocks will be implemented - suggestions might include duplicate entries, or some kind of toggle. This also includes racial traits, which...

D&D Beyond has said that Monsters of the Multiverse will not replace existing monsters already purchased by users.

While they have indicated that existing content will not be overwritten, they were unable to share any details on how the new monster stat blocks will be implemented - suggestions might include duplicate entries, or some kind of toggle. This also includes racial traits, which won't replace old material -- the contents of the book will be treated as new content.

While DDB is taking it's lead from WotC on what to do, apparently WotC asked them to take charge of communicating this all to users.

HammerMan

Legend
Sorry you have to wait.
funny... because I think you misunderstand me...
It has always been that way. Before a new edition came out, we always got optional rules and variant classes and even variant systems that foreshadowed parts of the new edition. A little bit testing the waters if your gut feeling about what people want is correct.
yes, Book of 9 swords was testing the waters for 4e, essentials was testing the waters for 5e... if the stories some insiders tell is true Combat &Tactics and SKills &Powers was testing the waters for a 3e that never happened pre WOTC buy out.

That is kinda what I am talking about. I don't think today this moment we have 6e PHB in our hands. I think we have the lead up to something... weather they call it 5.5 6e, or something else (I would not have guessed essentials or 3.5) but when those new books come for the 50th it WILL most likely be new... the problem I have is that I fear WotC is going to try to eat there cake and have it too. they will say "It's still 5e" and make enough changes that requires some verbage to explain what 5e you ar eplaying... BUT not address all of the foundation flaws so they can pretend it is not a new edition.
You can just not use the new rules. For most people it really does not matter if there are sone rules updates.
yeah, I mean I will use some, and not others... again my table already does it's own thing. I have even tried more than once to bring in WoD style backgrounds and TORG style mixed with 4e style skill challanges... (They all suck cause I am not a designer but I tried)
I can see why 2 stat blocks for the same creature might be a bit confusing, but even there, most people won't bother. It is only we EnWorlders that can argue about that in 5 threads.
(That does not mean arguing is wrong. On the contrary, it might exactly what WotC expects).
the thing is that it will NOT stay to just enworld. I was at Gencon when people told me "If you like 4e you don't understand D&D"... and the idiot that told me that wasn't alive when I started playing.

Ok. I did misunderstand you.
I am with you.
The new edition should make a clear cut. It can and probably should be backwards compatible as 3.5 was to 3e and essentials was to 4e.
But we definitely need new core rulebooks that will remove the clutter (And have a useful Index when we are at it).
And noone has the right to tell you or anyone what they have to like.
I too did like any edition I played. I was annoyed about some things (like the sloppy edit of 4e core books) and found out that editions were not for me any longer, but that is for everyone to decide for themself.

Chaosmancer

Legend
no just not happening. I am sick of my problem being framed as "any DM can do anything"

right now on these boards you can search a dozen conversations and find atleast half of them come down to "Outside of DM ruleing here is what the defualt is" when you change the defualt you change that conversation.

As I have said (many times and it always gets brushed away) my table with my friends use a ton of house rules. However I would not expect if I sat down at a gaming store with 5 acquaintances/strangers that they know any of my house rules. I would expect we have a baseline to discus the game.

I'm not trying to frame it as "any DM can do anything". But you went through a massive example, with a specific class, using a specific spell, and postulated that this design is bad because they won't know if a DM is using rules that will prevent this specific spell from being used and that is a problem with this specific class that they wish to use. This was the worst case scenario of these rules.

So, let me ask this. 100% serious. If a player is using ANYTHING other than Counterspell, how does this new design hurt them? How does this hurt the fighter, or the rogue, or the cleric or the Ranger or the Monk, ect ect ect. From where I am sitting... it can only possibly affect a single spell.

and with this you moved from "Hey it's a problem that already could come up every now and then," to "If the problem comes up every game who cares" notice the HUGE difference.

That isn't what I said at all. If the problem is that players will complain if encounters don't match with their expectations, then this isn't a design problem. I don't care if they complain about the design occassionally, or if they complain about it every single day. The fact of the matter is that, according to your own words, they are complaining because the design of the encounter doesn't match what they feel it should be. No design is immune to that. No design change is immune to that.

If this is our standard for a "problematic design" then any design that changes anything ever created is problematic. Mythic Monsters that restore to full health when killed (Theros design) is problematic. Monsters having non-standard equipment is problematic. Using a variant set of abilities that the player's didn't expect, like the Ice Devil spear, is problematic.

This has nothing to do with the merits of the design, and everything to do with the players.

I don't understand this sentence. if it is the assumed default then (by defualt) it is the baseline.

Then calling this new design the assumed default is wrong. Because it isn't the assumed default. It is an official variant for some and the default design for new things that don't have a previous version. Because even if they release a new version of the Archmage that uses this design... neither design is the default.

see here is the problem. WotC isn't Disney or Pixar (as much as they are owned by they are not even Hasbro).
if (as I have been repeatedly told) they have very limited production ability, then it isn't "Most will use CGI but some will be hand drawn" it is "Going forward we will be useing CGI but feel free to hand draw your own"

1) I am not hand drawing my own... if I was I would be working on my 4e retroclone with update sensibilities
2) I am not even dislikeing the CGI... my complaint isn't "I don't like the new direction" my complaint is "Pick a lane, update or don't" (and my vote is update.... bring on 6e, fix all the flaws we have found over the last 10ish years and produce form teh ground up D&D that works going forward)

#3 continuing using the old material.

This isn't a false option. This isn't a trick. This isn't a lie. When that Monsters of the Mulitverse book is released, you can still use Volo's and Mordenkainen's. If you don't own those books... then you haven't needed to use those monsters anyways.

me too. I love the idea tbh. It is a step in the right direction. I would actually be fine if 5.5/6/anniversary edition just did away with counterspell and made all monsters like 4e did.

You have missunderstood my problme. I don't dislike the direction... I want clearer labels.

I was 100% on your side of this... until people insisted that the whitchlight abilities were not counterspell able then the battle lines started and I just want them to lable new as new.

They have labeled new as new. They don't need to label these books as "Dungeons and Dragons Sixth Edition" for them to be new, and for everyone to understand that these books are new, and full of a new design.

And, frankly, they've talked about DnD 5e being "evergreen" since... the beginning? So, it sounds like they have a lane that they've been in and you don't like it. I can't help they are trying to keep their word. And frankly... if this isn't a new edition, why would they call it a new edition? Why break that "evergreen" promise before it has become untenable?

Trust me, there is A LOT I wish was fixed about DnD 5e. But I don't see labeling as a problem. If we need new labels, the community will provide.

HammerMan

Legend
I'm not trying to frame it as "any DM can do anything". But you went through a massive example, with a specific class, using a specific spell, and postulated that this design is bad because they won't know if a DM is using rules that will prevent this specific spell from being used and that is a problem with this specific class that they wish to use. This was the worst case scenario of these rules.

So, let me ask this. 100% serious. If a player is using ANYTHING other than Counterspell, how does this new design hurt them? How does this hurt the fighter, or the rogue, or the cleric or the Ranger or the Monk, ect ect ect. From where I am sitting... it can only possibly affect a single spell.

weell since I only have reviews to go by and sales pitch I have limited answer. As the months go on we will find more out. Rights now we know they rejiggled CR, changed the spellcasting, and the races. I gave the 1st example we have.
That isn't what I said at all. If the problem is that players will complain if encounters don't match with their expectations, then this isn't a design problem. I don't care if they complain about the design occassionally, or if they complain about it every single day. The fact of the matter is that, according to your own words, they are complaining because the design of the encounter doesn't match what they feel it should be. No design is immune to that. No design change is immune to that.
immune no.... but if you don't change design philiospyh without saying it's a change that is a way to make it MORE immune.
If this is our standard for a "problematic design" then any design that changes anything ever created is problematic. Mythic Monsters that restore to full health when killed (Theros design) is problematic. Monsters having non-standard equipment is problematic. Using a variant set of abilities that the player's didn't expect, like the Ice Devil spear, is problematic.
each of those are indvidual changes, not systemic overhauls to how monsters are made.
#3 continuing using the old material.

This isn't a false option. This isn't a trick. This isn't a lie. When that Monsters of the Mulitverse book is released, you can still use Volo's and Mordenkainen's. If you don't own those books... then you haven't needed to use those monsters anyways.
and that is where the fights will start (and not end)
people will explain that monster CR is off and people will say "Use this other book" and people will say this and that... and we have a midedition edition war...

(BTW what makes you think I want to use the old material?)
They have labeled new as new. They don't need to label these books as "Dungeons and Dragons Sixth Edition" for them to be new, and for everyone to understand that these books are new, and full of a new design.

And, frankly, they've talked about DnD 5e being "evergreen" since... the beginning? So, it sounds like they have a lane that they've been in and you don't like it. I can't help they are trying to keep their word. And frankly... if this isn't a new edition, why would they call it a new edition? Why break that "evergreen" promise before it has become untenable?

Trust me, there is A LOT I wish was fixed about DnD 5e. But I don't see labeling as a problem. If we need new labels, the community will provide.
no, but as 2 major pillars (player race, and monster design) have changed it sure looks like we are going to have to start to lable it...

you said why would they call it a new edition? Why break that "evergreen" promise before it has become untenable? that is my argument in a nutshell... this is the begining of it being untenable.

Chaosmancer

Legend
weell since I only have reviews to go by and sales pitch I have limited answer. As the months go on we will find more out. Rights now we know they rejiggled CR, changed the spellcasting, and the races. I gave the 1st example we have.

So, based on all the information we have these changes affect no one beyond spellcasters using Counterspell in a purely negative manner. Changing CR doesn't change anything for players. And the Racial options are a rebalance, but the old versions are still imminently usable, and in the case of many abilities a flat improvement. Like the Earth Genasi getting bonus action Blade Ward Prof times per day.

immune no.... but if you don't change design philiospyh without saying it's a change that is a way to make it MORE immune.

This is a change in design philosophy. That is blatantly obvious. What it is not is a completely new design. This design has existed, it simply wasn't as wide-spread. And even if the designers announced this was 6e... people would complain about the changes made to the game if you tried to implement it. The type of people you are describing aren't complaining about not knowing about the changes ahead of time. They are complaining that the changes occurred at all, and that it doesn't fit their preconceived notions.

So again, nothing about what you are proposing (people complaining because the encounter doesn't meet their expectations) is a design problem.

each of those are indvidual changes, not systemic overhauls to how monsters are made.

And yet limiting spellcasting while giving magical actions that can be repeated is not an individual change and is instead a systematic overhaul? Based on what? I don't expect Trolls to change with this new design. I don't expect Bodaks to change with this new design. I don't expect the Champion to change with this design.

This only affects spellcasting monsters. That is a limited subset

and that is where the fights will start (and not end)
people will explain that monster CR is off and people will say "Use this other book" and people will say this and that... and we have a midedition edition war...

(BTW what makes you think I want to use the old material?)

When was the last time anyone seriously used CR in a discussion in these forums? CR has been notoriously inaccurate for years. Saying "CR is off" is like saying "it gets dark at night". We all know.

And if people begin an edition war because different books list different CR values... then they would start an edition war over anything. This seems like fear mongering more than a real problem.

no, but as 2 major pillars (player race, and monster design) have changed it sure looks like we are going to have to start to lable it...

you said why would they call it a new edition? Why break that "evergreen" promise before it has become untenable? that is my argument in a nutshell... this is the begining of it being untenable.

I disagree. It is trivially easy to say that you are using the Multiverse Warpriest instead of the Volo's Warpriest. Just like you say if you are using Eberron Orcs instead of Grey Orcs. It is trivial to say you are using the Multiverse Goblin PC race instead of Volo's Goblin PC race, just like you say you are using Aerni High Elves instead of PHB High Elves.

But it all still uses the same basic math, the same basic assumptions, and can be used interchangeable. Calling this 6th edition would make it sound like they are completely incompatible, and the exact opposite is true.

When Van Richten's guide came out, I remember people saying confidently that alignment is dead and that all future wotc products including the next edition will not have alignment. Then six months later they added it back in (with the "typically" modification).

Point is, if you think wotc knows for sure what they want the 2024 edition to look like you are giving them way too much credit. Obviously the designers are thinking about what it will look like and playing around with ideas--it would be weird if they were not--but I just don't get the sense that they are organized enough to really have a clear vision of what they want it to be. Recent history suggests that they are taking things one UA at a time (for example, the pre-strixhaven UA with the multi-class subclasses). Plus important people are leaving wotc all the time, and they are hiring a bunch of new people; with those new people will come new ideas.

pukunui

Legend
When Van Richten's guide came out, I remember people saying confidently that alignment is dead and that all future wotc products including the next edition will not have alignment. Then six months later they added it back in (with the "typically" modification).

Point is, if you think wotc knows for sure what they want the 2024 edition to look like you are giving them way too much credit. Obviously the designers are thinking about what it will look like and playing around with ideas--it would be weird if they were not--but I just don't get the sense that they are organized enough to really have a clear vision of what they want it to be. Recent history suggests that they are taking things one UA at a time (for example, the pre-strixhaven UA with the multi-class subclasses). Plus important people are leaving wotc all the time, and they are hiring a bunch of new people; with those new people will come new ideas.
To add to that, Ray Winninger has said that WotC will conduct surveys and the like this year and next to help shape 50Ae. So no, they don't have a clear picture of what the revised anniversary edition will look like. Monsters of the Multiverse is as much an experiment to see how people take to some new design ideas as it is anything else.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing

Point is, if you think wotc knows for sure what they want the 2024 edition to look like you are giving them way too much credit.
And I think you might be giving yourself way too much credit, too. I'd wager that neither Wizards of the Coast (the company) nor Wizards of the Coast (the developers and contributors) are listening to Internet banter as closely as we like to think. That's probably what their surveys are for.

Remove ads

Remove ads