D&D 5E D&D Beyond: Monsters of the Multiverse Will Not Replace Existing Monsters

D&D Beyond has said that Monsters of the Multiverse will not replace existing monsters already purchased by users. While they have indicated that existing content will not be overwritten, they were unable to share any details on how the new monster stat blocks will be implemented - suggestions might include duplicate entries, or some kind of toggle. This also includes racial traits, which...

D&D Beyond has said that Monsters of the Multiverse will not replace existing monsters already purchased by users.

While they have indicated that existing content will not be overwritten, they were unable to share any details on how the new monster stat blocks will be implemented - suggestions might include duplicate entries, or some kind of toggle. This also includes racial traits, which won't replace old material -- the contents of the book will be treated as new content.

While DDB is taking it's lead from WotC on what to do, apparently WotC asked them to take charge of communicating this all to users.

I can easily see it being a similar level change to 3e to 3.5
I'm expecting more than 3E to 3.5E, probably closer to 1E to 2E if we just look at the core books, and the level of change with the monsters/races so far I think supports that I think. As you say, 1E and 2E were largely compatible, so I don't think that would contradict their comments re: compatibility. The big question that remains is how much classes will be changed, and whether other rules which would be fairly easy to change without significantly impacting compatibility will be changed (like with short rests as discussed in another thread).

Jer

Legend
Supporter
$5. There will be no edition change in 2 years. Just some new core books with, at most, some revisions of player options, and other very minor cleanups and compiling of what is most popular and satisfying in 5e.

Now, if you consider that a new edition, and we are talking less of a difference than Essentials vs phb 4e, then a bet makes no sense, but I’d define an edition change as requiring actual rules incompatibility. New takes on the races and classes doesn’t cut it.
My money is on them absolutely NOT wanting to advertise it as "sixth edition" and not wanting to make any major changes that wills shakeup their current player base. The game is more popular now than at any time in its history and they're STILL selling PHBs and DMGs at a decent clip.

My bet is that what they'll do is release a set of "Revised" books - Monster Manual Revised having the new monster stat blocks, and maybe a PHB Revised that has errata incorporated, revised racial write ups, and maybe a slightly different selection of subclasses in some cases (like the Ranger). No idea what they'd put into a revised DMG or if it's even needed compared to the possibilities of the other two books.

Plus as long as those Starter Sets and Essentials Kits are still flying off the shelves at the big box stores I suspect that they're going to want to make sure that they aren't rocking the boat.

This gives them the best of both worlds TBH. Anyone who would jump onto a new 6th edition would probably buy revised replacement books too, but it doesn't take all of their current inventory and make it worthless.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My money is on them absolutely NOT wanting to advertise it as "sixth edition" and not wanting to make any major changes that wills shakeup their current player base. The game is more popular now than at any time in its history and they're STILL selling PHBs and DMGs at a decent clip.

My bet is that what they'll do is release a set of "Revised" books - Monster Manual Revised having the new monster stat blocks, and maybe a PHB Revised that has errata incorporated, revised racial write ups, and maybe a slightly different selection of subclasses in some cases (like the Ranger). No idea what they'd put into a revised DMG or if it's even needed compared to the possibilities of the other two books.

Plus as long as those Starter Sets and Essentials Kits are still flying off the shelves at the big box stores I suspect that they're going to want to make sure that they aren't rocking the boat.

This gives them the best of both worlds TBH. Anyone who would jump onto a new 6th edition would probably buy revised replacement books too, but it doesn't take all of their current inventory and make it worthless.
Exactly. Absolutely still the same edition. No basic game math will change, they won’t get rid of bonus actions, it’ll just be errata, maybe some different subclasses to reflect what’s popular, maybe some Tasha’s level revisions of some subclass or class abilities on par with the Bladesinger changes, and nothing more. And IMO to call such a thing a new edition would be absurd.
They are replacements for a lot of people, though. I have only bought Volo's and not the other one, so after I get this, Volo's is maybe only worth keeping for the fluff. Otherwise, it would be tossed into the waste bin.
That doesn’t make sense. They literally aren’t replacements.
I can easily see it being a similar level change to 3e to 3.5
We shall see, but I’m confident enough that we won’t see that, that I’m willing to bet on it.

HammerMan

Legend
$5. There will be no edition change in 2 years. Just some new core books with, at most, some revisions of player options, and other very minor cleanups and compiling of what is most popular and satisfying in 5e.
there is already changes in race, and they put out survays about class changes months ago. They may not call it an edition change but it will be more than the essentials 4e, and most likely at least on par with 3e/3.5 even if it isn't called such.

my biggest fear is they will hold back needed changes to pay lip service to "still 5e"
Now, if you consider that a new edition, and we are talking less of a difference than Essentials vs phb 4e, then a bet makes no sense,
essentials didn't take away any of the 4e PHB you would do better to bring up errata of powers. the essential fighter was just a new class with a confusing name... it wasn't even a little like a replacement.
but I’d define an edition change as requiring actual rules incompatibility. New takes on the races and classes doesn’t cut it.
so in your mind race and class are not rules?

Remove ads

Remove ads