D&D Movie/TV D&D Beyond Movie Survey

Good point, maybe part of this is to figure out their marketing angle.
My take is the main point of the survey is "how should we market this movie, what should we show (and not show) in the trailers?"

It does seem to have a lot of clues to things that will appear in the movie, but I dare say they threw in a bunch of red herrings as well. It's what I would do.

Are people going to get bent out of shape if a druid wildshapes into an owlbear or the sorcerer casts a healing spell?

One takeaway - a bard who doesn't cast spells? (that's my preference actually) But it may well describe Pine's character. Maybe if people get too upset, they can tweak the marketing to say "he isn't a bard, he is an entertainer rogue".

Last edited:

You can bet we are going to see owlbears or displacer beasts as toys. I say it seriously. Hasbro should have realise D&D is their own "Pokemon" franchise.

Xena could be campy in some episodes, but in others it may be grimmdark.

Why "Bright" but not "Shadowrun"? Because Hasbro has got deals with Netflix, and Shadowrun is owned by Topps Company, but this will not want a partnership deal, maybe because the fear for a future acquisition.

You can bet we are going to see owlbears or displacer beasts as toys. I say it seriously. Hasbro should have realise D&D is their own "Pokemon" franchise.

Xena could be campy in some episodes, but in others it may be grimmdark.

Why "Bright" but not "Shadowrun"? Because Hasbro has got deals with Netflix, and Shadowrun is owned by Topps Company, but this will not want a partnership deal, maybe because the fear for a future acquisition.

Paizo is also a TTRPG competitor, yet Pathfinder gets mentioned, which seemed odd to me, the rest is just general fantasy media, Pathfinder is a direct D&D competitor, the strongest one I believe.

Hasbro shouldn't worry too much about Paizo because it is a rival, but also necessary, and this also useful to "break ice" in the market. The true menace is if Paizo was acquired by some big-fish in the entertaiment industry to become a multimedia franchise.

Hasbro shouldn't worry too much about Paizo because it is a rival, but also necessary, and this also useful to "break ice" in the market. The true menace is if Paizo was acquired by some big-fish in the entertaiment industry to become a multimedia franchise.

Or they are planning on buying out their biggest direct rival.

Hasbro has got a long story about acquiring other companies. It may be possible, but I don't see it was really necessary. Paizo has got some good ideas about "crunch", and Starfinder could be a valious IP in the future, but if I was Hasbro I would be more interested into White Wolf/Onyx Path (World of Darkness and others). Hasbro isn't focused to sells more TTRPG but to sell more different products with the D&D brand.

It would be strange, a 6th Ed mixing the best ideas from 5th Ed and Pf2.

Remove ads